Spell's and Potions

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Spell's and Potions

Post by General Maximus »

Should alchemy be able to duplicate any other ability in game or should they be more specilized.

Should it be easier for alchmey to heal and cure than arcane?
And should it be easier for arcane to throw out damage than alchemy?

My opinon is each should have their own strength's and should not be able to do other things easly

Alchemy
Great for healing and cures
Bad for damage and combat effects

Arcane
Great for combat effects and damage
bad for healing and cures

What do you think?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'm still on the alchemy should be ony able to replicate what can be accomplished via modern medicine (not anything chemistry). Transformations can be variations of the more heavy drugs with altered side affects.

Arcane should be more general, damage and effects are it's bread and butter but it should be able to replicate any skill in the game, at a cost of resources, life, and time. Not over powering those skills but allowing for them. Like a worse version of sage (time wise).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I'm kinda old school. I like differemt groups being able to do different things. Alchemy should not be able to generate "any" effect, just like I don't thing that Arcane can bring "any" effect. Of course I also support "divine" magic, but that is not for this game.

Alchemy and Arcane should have minimal overlap. This supports the FH philosophy of character interdependance. As for what they should do well. Healing/curing has always historically been good fodder for the Alchemist. I would support some "magical abilities" like toughness, resists, etc. going into potions.

Arcane should have no healing. Giving an Arcane healing powers makes too much overlap with the healer and alchemist. As for limiting their powers...its hard enough to be an arcane as is, why make them worse? I would like to support minimal overlap.

Aaron, a poll perhaps?
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

I would like some arcane spells that heal and repair and have some same effects of alchemy but with harsher penalties and or longer times/ greater costs so that way arcanes can do them but it is not as good as the alchemy way and the same visa versa in certain spells/potions
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

dier_cire wrote:I'm still on the alchemy should be ony able to replicate what can be accomplished via modern medicine (not anything chemistry). Transformations can be variations of the more heavy drugs with altered side affects.

Arcane should be more general, damage and effects are it's bread and butter but it should be able to replicate any skill in the game, at a cost of resources, life, and time. Not over powering those skills but allowing for them. Like a worse version of sage (time wise).
What can't the healer do that modern medicine without chemistry can do? Alchemy would become a toned down version of the healer.

Thats what arcane is now, with the addition of things like creating undead, which personally I thought from the beginning should be a combination of alchemy and arcane. Reading the metaphysics again I'm even more convinced that's how it should be, alchemy to affect the dead body(get rid of rigormortis etc.) and arcane to breath unlife into it.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

just so we are clear,

Share Power ONLY WORKS ON RESISTS.

you can't copy ANY skill, JUST RESISTS.
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

cole45 wrote:just so we are clear,

Share Power ONLY WORKS ON RESISTS.

you can't copy ANY skill, JUST RESISTS.
Who mentioned share power? :?:
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

someone said in an earlier thread that there was a spell to copy any skill. I just wanted to be sure
Travis Cole