Rule changes and clarifications

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

LOL :D

Yes, I meant, I'm not trying to be mean. sorry about that. I said in my mind, but did not type it :D
Also, I'm glad you disagree and agree play testing is a great idea. I played a sage for 2 years and knew the mimic skill wcould be a gem if only the time was reduced. With the high time, it just was difucult to use it in a timely, useful fashion. Basicly you would have to gamble on what skill you wanted to know before going into combat or going into scene. If you guessed wrong you had to make the entire party wait until you could choose a different skill if nobody else did not have the required skill. And let me tell you, it was just plain boaring for everybody.

And on changing alchemy to arcane, I do not like that idea. I don't think alchemy is broken. Some recipies might need to be tweaked, and an enforcement of the rules might need to done. But for an entire overhaul, I don't see it required.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I agree with Nelkie, Alchemy is fine the way it is. As I am the ultimate authority on everything...

Want to wager on the results of the Sage playtest *wink, wink*
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

In my oppinion Alchemy is overly versitile, conveinent, and way out values arcane.

While Arcanes can do some nifty stuff once and a while alchemists can be brewing potions the entire event. They never have wasted time. They can keep their potions indefinatly so they are never pointless. Barely any potions cause the user to die/bleed after using it once. You can do other things while your potions are brewing. You can cary an infinite number of potions on your person. All the most useful effects for a larp are personal transmutations or augments. And so on...
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

Changing the subject but, what about changing the resources needed for survival between events? I mean say you have a savage person who has learned and is used to surviving on little to no food/supplies. Shouldn't they require less? Or at least in the supplies/cloth part. If one wheres rags and is used to broken supplies why do they need as much as a privileged/common person?
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

The savage can substitute hide for cloth, everyone has to eat, and supplies is such a vague and generic term. Also there are savage discipline skills that grant you resources. The amount you use for personal upkeep goes into your wealth, not class.
GLOMP!
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Onimaster wrote: You can cary an infinite number of potions on your person.
that is where the requisite phys-repping comes in.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

During the night of Flaming Skulls, Heidi mentioned that she wants bandoleers for her potions.

Not infinite, but a lot, and easily accessible.
GLOMP!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

My long term CARPS character was an alchemist (Roland) and I had a backpack with my potions in it that had compartments for each type of potion so I could easily grab things. I also had a belt pouch with potion vial slots and a secret compartment for my poisons...not that I ever used poisons :)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

That's weird that we both played Alchemists named Roland. Of course I only played him one session and he was a Goblin. But how strange.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Here is counter argument for mimic time reduction. Since the hint skill has been scaled back in power and usefulness (don't get me wrong, the skill still rocks) the mimic skill time can be reduced to compesate. All the other master sage skill's are used in frequently, where with the time reduction to mimic, it could be a sage skilled used all the time.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I agree mimic time should probably be reduced.

That said I think your argument is really weak.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

I disagree that the Sage hint has been scaled back in power. And honestly, I don't think that 15 minutes is that big a deal with mimic. It's a pretty powerful skill, and it should take some time to switch it over. But I'm not going to argue with the GM's if they do decide to reduce the time! :lol:
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Just for note, I'm all for mimic time reduction. I can attest to the suckage that is sitting around for half an hour waiting on the sage. Usually, it's easier to just go find someone with the skill.

As for why: healing, cr regen, cure disease, cure poison, and armor repair are all 5 minutes or less. This is generally our break between battles which is sorta where I'd see mimic swapping at it's highest value. We run in a cave, get hit with disease, cure it and the sage mimics immunity. We go back in with the sage kicking ass. Otherwise, everyone is waiting on the sage, which is boring in general.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Erik has the best argument yet again.

"Fun factor"
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I'm fine with mimic time reductions--heck, I'm good to reduce time on any skill over five minutes. I would like to say though, I believe the new sage way of doing hints actually increases both the power and the utility of the skill, not to mention the role playing and the fun. It's simply better, less cryptic information