Rule changes and clarifications

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

I like the idea of phys-rep of potions but maybe have like only one or two actual vials/bottles for a role playing aspect and interchange them when used. No tags actually attached but still must be present on body to use.

And what really defines fake armor? I mean if one can take foam armor and make it look like actually plate mail and not fake then I think that should be considered real.

Please do not limit the amount of spells an arcane can have, I think however they can have as many as they can fit on scrolls and or books and carry around them with. Also I do like the idea of having gms approve spell books in a way of like marking them or checking every other event or online just to make sure the spells are correctly worded and or still in game.
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

GM_Chris wrote:Potions should be physrepped for obvious reasons, but perhaps alchemy is just a flawed system all together.

Maybe we should just model it after arcane, but call it alchemy and keep everything the same. So basically there are no potions an alchemist "brews" one when it is needed so all the times would be shorter just like arcane. Then ofcourse no physrep bottle is needed.
What Obvious reasons?

That answer seems pretty drastic Chris. But it has possibilities. I've said that I think Alchemy isn't on par with Arcane so maybe changing it is a good idea, although I'm not sure about this idea.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Potion Phys-Reps

Post by Torakhan »

GM_Chris wrote:Potions should be physrepped for obvious reasons, but perhaps alchemy is just a flawed system all together.
If you don't want to buy/find plastic/metal/glass containers for your potions, what about taking dowel rods, cutting them into segments and wrapping the potion tag around it? It would represent the "vial". Just paint it in colors you like (as elaborate or basic as you want) and tape/adhere the tag around it?

This isn't a suggestion for a change in the phys-reps by the rules (though, even making it mandatory that a tag be attached to your weapon/shield/armor/item would still be nice), but for those who'd like to hand something physical to folks, it's a suggestion.

• Buy a 3/4" or 1" dowel rod
• Paint it a solid color (if you'd like)
• Cut the rod into 3" or 4" parts
• Paint the top 1/4 (as if it was a stopper)
• Wrap and tape spells around the dowel rod with drafting tape or similar removable tape/rubber bands so that it's not a bitch to tare off, but easy to still get to and read if nessecary.

This way too, there's no broken plastic or glass, and everyone can find dowels at Meijer's or lumber yards. Heck, maybe even cut up your mom's wooden broom handles. ;) Just some spraypaint or dip the dowel pieces into a can of paint you have laying around too!

Thoughts?

As for the Alchemy system... is it flawed? I think there's some little tweeks like removing the Gather/Mixing/Brewing/Sitting times and make it "Gathering" and "Brewing" times.. but that's just me. Though, for things like the Metalergy... I know it fits into the Alchemy, but it's weird that it "brews".. but I'm not complaining about that. Maybe some sort of mandatory phys-rep for your brewing though? In the end, I was using a flame near my bed to represent my alchemical brewing.
Last edited by Torakhan on Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

The out of game costs for alchemist and the out of game costs for arcanist are strongly off balance if potions must be phys rep'd. I think just having a limit in the amount of potion one can carry would fix that. Yet, I'm still slowly warming to the possiblities of the spell like potion creation.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

The Cost...

Post by Torakhan »

Andian wrote:The out of game costs for alchemist and the out of game costs for arcanist are strongly off balance if potions must be phys rep'd. I think just having a limit in the amount of potion one can carry would fix that. Yet, I'm still slowly warming to the possiblities of the spell like potion creation.
Both need books, both need some physrepping (spell packets for Arcanists, typically and something to represent potions for alchemists)... if you do the dowel rod thing, I don't think it's going to be more than $20 for a few dozen. My Craftsman apron cost me $60 in leather alone.

I think the cost is minimal, especially if you compare it to latex weapons, or even the materials to make foam swords out of PVC, Pipe foam, duct tape and glue...
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

How about the prices in getting actual heavy armor, especially if you do not know how to make it and buy it? I think those would be a lot more then the things needed for arcanes/alchemists.
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The problem I have with not physrepping potions is the fact that people are carrying around Hundreds of potions on their person (not an exageration). They then reach into their bag, grab a handful, and rip the tags and say "There. I just drank 5 cure one potions in a single gulp. I'm back to full life". It just doesnt jive with the spirit of LARP. As it is, having people carry around just tags for things seems table-toppy to me.

Maybe we need to institute a "Drinking Time" for potions. It takes a 5 count to drink a potion or something?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I am talking off the top of my head here, but honestly, potions should be physrepped it just make sense.

Then again maybe I just have a perverted sence of alchemy. I mean in the alchemy cartoon I love dearly it has nothing to do with drinking anything.

Perhaps alchemy should be the same. Move away from potion brewing and make it something else.

What is soooooo funny to me is that arcanes tell me they are not nearly as powerful as alchemists and the alchemists say arcanes are tougher.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Okay, I agree on the ability to find inexpensive alternatives to phys-reps. And I once again have to say that Chris has reached for another possibility I'm beginning to like. I do like a particular anime he may have mentioned. The idea of alchemy only being potions did feel a small bit tiny in proportion of the examples I've seen of that.... 'science'.

I've always seen arcane as being a mystical force that couldn't be touched and alchemy as changing the properties of items already made.
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Rule changes and clarifications

Post by marduk »

General Maximus wrote:
4.Would like to see the time to use the mimic skill drop from 15 minutes to 10 or 5 minutes to make it more veristile.
I disagree wholeheartedly with this. I think that the skill is fine at 15 minutes. Anything making it better would be gravy on the biscuits. 5 minute mimic would be sick.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I just wanted to chime in on the alchemy thing. Alchemy in the mideval sense, is all about the quest for immortality. In order to gain such, one must balance the elemental composition. In "European" alchemy, which is based on Arabic alchemy, the four E/A/W/F are represented. Each element had a set of two determinates (Telemetry and Character). Telemetry decribes the inherent direction "Up", "Down" or "circle". Character is whether the element is wet or dry. The idea is to gain heavenly status by overcoming the up/down/wet/dry associations. If those are balanced, circular motion is attained....In chinese Alchemy, the same four elements existed, plus Wood,and no telemtry. They had different chracters. Both also ascribed to Humors, although Chinese called it something different (beyond just language barrier)

what does all this mean? "traditional" alchemy has nothing to do with gaining powers or turning lead to gold. It is about pefecting the body, mind, and soul. What we are trying to simulate is "pseudo-alchemy", a practice in the middle ages of traveling hucksters claiming to be Alchemists offering to sell "potions", and "salves" that do basically whatever the buyer wanted. They never worked, but make for good legend.

true Alchemy used a combination of Prayer, Philosophy, Meditation, Diet, Exercise, and potions/salves to gain attempted Immortality. Full Metal Alchemist is much closer to any depiction of Alchemy as I know it...if that is the show you are referring to....
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Actually, that's exactly the way they described it in the show. And that was the show I was referring to, though I'm not sure if it was the show Chris meant.
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I still feel like those that were doing just fine with the phys-rep rules up until now are being punished for others bending the rules almost to (if not past) the breaking point.

My other problem is "don't make rules you're not going to enforce." Are the GM/NPCs going to check everyone every event and periodically through out the event? No? Then those that are doing it will likely continue doing it or find another loop hole and bend the rules to their liking. The ones that follow the rules (already) will be the ones forces to comply.

Also as they say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Do the GMs already have their phys-reps? I don't remember ever seeing any. But maybe I just missed them. (I'm not trying to be mean. I honestly only ever remember seeing some tags).
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Making the NPC staff have an actual physrep for every item they have for every character greatly limits the variety of game play. Phys-rep rules, if they are tight, should only be tight for PCs. Just my opinion. In an ideal world, the GMs/NPCs should always be in full costume for every character, but the reality is that luck prevails if there are different tabards for each character. PCs are (hopefully) committed to a single role, so it is more realistic for strict enforcement of phys-rep standards.

To defend a subpoint of Wes's arguement:

If people are going to have physrep standards enforced more firmly, at least all PCs should be treated the same.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

The rulebook mentions handcuffs and shackles when saying you can escape normal bonds. Were I to normally bond someone does that then mean I should bring my handcuffs and shackles? NO!! That wouldn't be safe. So why is it in there then? But isn't it obvious that being bound should also be phys-reped?

The point I'm making is that just because it's 'obvious' that something should be physically represented, doesn't mean that something is a good idea to do that. I have a rope that I give someone when I bind them (interrogators inescapable) but hand cuffs are directly mentioned and rope isn't.....hmm

What I would like to see in an update is all these skills that everyone has regardless of path/race/discipline. Make it a section and include binding, carrying, killing blow, and anything else I can do that I don't know I can do.
GLOMP!