Scout Idea

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Scout Idea

Post by GM_Chris »

ok so the fun to being a scout is apparently "scouting"

Now how do we keep scouts happy making them scout, while at the same time keeping them out of GM camp.

Here is an idea.

Every event we plant things around the event. We could use a flag with something attached. I don't know exactly what to use just an idea. Now if you find the flag you can read the note and ge the scout hint. I can put say 5 to 10 of these up.

If you are a scout then at the begginning of the game you get to know where some of these things are approxamately at. Since the flags will be hidden you will have that advantage.

This way if a person wants you for a scoutting mission then you actually go scoutting. Thoguhts?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Brainstorming:

Scouts have time at the begining of the event to look at a map that tells them generally where things are (this 30 square yards are generally where the elf armies are stationed, this 30 square yards is in the direction of the fishing village) A very general map, maybe just an outline of the camp with general lines on it, very simple.

Then during the event there are markers (flags, PVC pipes stuck in the group with notes inside, etc) with a hint attached or connected too. Through out the event (maybe Before game on, Saturday morning, game break, and Sunday morning) the hints are changed.

It could be cool to encode the messages and give each scout a key to the code. Change it each event. Maybe now all hints are in the same code...lots of possibilities.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

How about just four spots that the Scouts know about that are roughly at the cardinal corners (north, south, east, west). Each spot has a box with a sealed envelope. Each scout can get a scout hint once from each box. If multiple scouts go together, they each can draw an envelope. The hints could then be changed, swapped around, whatever at game break.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I thought it was a nice touch of reality that scout got more info the more times he visits a spot/scouts. Also not having a specific place that they will be in make the player actually scout a bit. It allows more flexibility, if one event you want to add a scoutable thing in the middle of the event (approaching army that is too far friday night but close enough saturday night).
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We could make the hints juicey.

Actually, the code might be a good idea too. hmm Be simply to run some stuff through an algorythm

Would it be fun from a scouts perspective to actually have to scout?

We could put somepretty good hints there.

The thing that I feel I am missing is that a scout seems to enjoy getting "a mission"

So the current way would be to "get a mission" and then what wander around amelessly, end up by NPC camp, and then get a clue?

How would the scout know what direction a plot was for? Should that be how scouts are even played? I mean it does not make alot of sence for say a plot to be about Em and then send a scout to fish for clues on Em. I mean is that what a scout does?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I like the idea of having the scout hauling ass through the woods. I think generally people who play scouts like to do this kind of crap.

EDIT: Sorry I had to walk away from the computer...
I think that the junk should be hidden in the woods, but only a bonfide scout should be able to find them.
Last edited by marduk on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Further brainstorming:

Each Scout could have a cipher - Hints are put out in locations at each location there are a list of hints in each hint in a different cipher - some hints are the same, some are different - maybe there would be some random stuff added to the list of hints (to throw people off when they try and count the scouts in-game)

Just a thought
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I suggest you treat scout just like the sages hint ability. The scout gets some hints at the beggining of the game. The difference is the scouts could get a plot with their hints
example - at a set time and a set location the scout has to lead a group to stop an attack, rescue some one, fight off some monsters, etc..

Also, on certian adventures the scout could get additional hints just like the sage.