new disciplines and such

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

marduk
Town Member
Town Member

new disciplines and such

Post by marduk »

as I was looking over the boards and the book, I came to a conclusion. Aside from reassembling skills from other disciplines and calling it something new, there is really no need for new disciplines. Every character type I can imagine is already represented in the current set. Sure, there may be some new skills out there that would fundamentally alter the dynamic of the game, but the is pretty flippin cool as is. I will think on it. I guess I see more need for new races than disciplines and THAT is small
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

That may indeed be the case, that the need is small. Yet, there are people who enjoy coming up with concepts and ideas for the game we so love to play. I see no problem in letting them fulfill their creative needs. More often than not, the differences in most of the new race/disiplines that I've seen have been skill mechanic additions, as well as the construction of level in discipline. Most may be able to make whatever they wish within the well playtested and well put together rules already in play. Yet, there is no harm in seeing if what is already there can't be added to during the down season. As it is, some rule clarifications will have to be made, anyway. :)
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

After I read your post, I realized I sounded like a prick. I do a little game design here and there. The reason I posted my opinion was that I was dumbfounded about how well-fleshed the existing disciplines and paths are. I think the paths are so comprehensive that there is not even a dialogue about new paths. What I was trying to say, in a nutshell:

I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with new stuff for the game and can't come up with any ideas that cannot be replicated by other skills. I feel like I would be making new stuff for new stuff's sake.

I don't mean to take the wind out of anybody's sails. I encourage everyone to be as creative as they want. Hell, I think everyone should take a stab at designing a system. So, happy hunting!
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I've helped many friends in trying to design systems. As well as trying to design my own. And as I agree on, this game is very customizable. Yet, there are certain types of character, believe it or not, that can't be created with this system. It's a very dynamic system and as long as you don't have a very oddball type of character, it can be made in many ways with the current rules. Yet, with the type of concepts I've heard from friends, I've wracked my brain for how they could make them and haven't found a way; for some.

I've been playing this game for many years, I don't even remember what year I'd started. I remember my last game though. And I hope to come back soon. The one entity in this game that really allows any player to play anything that's "reasonable" has been the GM staff. I've seen a character turn into a monster for a plot. I've see, a character slowly take on the essence of a dragon, what I didn't see was the betrayal. :) I've seen many things possible in this game. Which is one of the reason that keeps me coming back. I can tell you that my new character was not possible a few years ago within the rules. So, change will sometimes happen and is usually good. I can also say, the GM staff doesn't take change lightly. If they decide to change or add anything at all, it needs to be tested and thought to be sorely needed.

ps your post never displayed any prick-iness to me
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity