resources

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I have to agree here.

1. coins can represent the tags just fine, since they will be nothing more than coins.

2. magic components. it is impossible to tell in game magic components from out of game physreps. (this is a REAL problem we actually had the last winterhaven.) If we use crystals i would like a signed tag stuck to the bottom.

basically it comes down to all IN game items should be tagged. (my same gripe about spell books. if a spell book is an in game item it can be stolen and copied. if it is out of game, it can not. if it's tagged, it solves that problem.in game items with mechanical benefits need to be tagged. )
Travis Cole
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I agree, everything should be tagged with the expection of money. How else do you know X sword is a magical, or a certian item has a special ability. Idealy, you should have a physrep and tag with everything.

If it is tagged, it can be stolen, if it is not tagged, it can not be used in game until it is.

As for magical componets, if all gems are considered magical componets, than no tags would be required. But if there is gems and than their is magical componets, than they need to be tagged.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The "Coins" do not phys-rep anything but the metal coins that they are.

The crystal doesnt represent anything other than the mystic component it is. The problem is in "Spending" the mystic component for spells and potions on the fly. I used to think that PCs could be trusted to keep track and then drop the spent components off at NPC camp at their earliest convenience. I'm not so sure on this anymore. Maybe we should stick with tags as much as I hate a game based on pieces of paper.
then why can't a sword be tagless too? It can be used and broken just as a crystal could be that is not tagged.

A FOAM sword is a physical representation of a real sword that we use because it is safer than steel. The ACTUAL physical item is a foam sword but it REPRESENTS a real steel blade. The tag tells us that. A crystal is a crystal...plain and simple. Crystals can be use in potions and spells. Just because we call them "Magic Components" instead of "special crystals" doesnt really mean anything.

I'm all for the crystals being good enough without tags. I just want that followed through through the rest of the mechanics.
... then we get back into the need to phys-rep all resources, attaching the tags to all weapons/shields/armor/items (maybe normal swords do not need to be tagged when they are being phys-repped unless they have a quality that is not "normal"?)... etc. etc. etc. -- not that I have any problem with this scenario either.

I HATE the fact that people carry around just tags on their person. If you dont want to phys-rep items, play D&D instead. I would like to institute a rule where you need to phys-rep everything that you are carrying. No one else seems to have this vision so for now I guess we are stuck with tags. At the leaset, we need a system to associate a tag with its item. Maybe a number on the tag with a sticker on the item with the same number?
2. magic components. it is impossible to tell in game magic components from out of game physreps. (this is a REAL problem we actually had the last winterhaven.) If we use crystals i would like a signed tag stuck to the bottom.
This is easily remedied through the use of a designated style and color of crystal but see my above comments about spending components. Once again, lets just use tags...why not?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I guess my biggest problem is when you have no tags, you invite unnessisary difficulties. Say John breaks into jim's stuff. Jim has a pile of crystals. only half are in game, the rest are just extra. mayb their even in 2 different places, but john has no way of knowing. john steals jim's out of game mystic components, all because they weren't tagged. both players are pissed.

For upkeep and mystic, take the little crystals and stick a tag on the bottom. Problem solved.

I do however agree that EVERYTHING ought to be pyrepped. Going to coins will fix the unnecessarily complex resource issue. (physrepping loafs of bread.) Potions, magic components and the like need to be on yah. swords, etc.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Say John breaks into jim's stuff. Jim has a pile of crystals. only half are in game, the rest are just extra.
Why would john have extras? If crystals were a controlled phys-rep like coins, bringing extras would be cheating. I agree though, we should just put a small sticker on the bottom of gems to make them magic components. When the component is used, peel off the sticker. We could then have an exchange rate for un-tagged gems (x gems = y coin) so that we get the phys-reps back and they arent just tossed on the ground when used.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

that is a good idea. picking up platic/glass rocks after a game would suck.
Travis Cole
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

My isue with upkeep/components being a non tagged item is because they are consumables.

Logistically how do you "use" a crystal?

I am on a plot int he fire elemental zone 5 miles from NPC camp and I cast a spell costing 5 magic components. I then consume 5 crystals. Do I move ths crystals from 1 pouch to another? Do I just rememebr to stop by NPC camp to plop them in a bucket?

Personally I do not see them working. I can see it working for mystic, but not components or upkeep.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

When consumed, you would remove the sticker. The gem would still be a gem after that but the "Magic" inside would be all used up
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Ah if you re putting stickers on then I guess that would work.

They need to be removing stickers at the start of the rite. We need to clarify that in the book if it becomes an official change.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I was looking through the rule book, and there is already a rule that dictates physrep requirements. The rule is below and it covers what we have been talking about.

Physical Representations
Phys-rep is short for physical representation. Everything in game must have some sort of ingame phys-rep and a tag to go with it. A tag is a small slip of paper that is used to identify what an item is and that it is an in-game item. If an item does not have a tag you will not be able to use
it in game. However, you may carry items without a tag as long as they are only decorative (i.e. a ring that you wear, your clothing, etc.). Decorative items have no value and they may not bestolen.

A weapon phys-rep is some sort of foam item shaped like the appropriate weapon type. Before aweapon phys-rep can be used in game the weapons marshal must inspect and approve it for use.

Spell packets are small squares of cloth filled with birdseed an birdseed only. They are used torepresent a spell that has been cast by throwing at a target or marking out the range of a triangulated effect. Spell packets may be no less than a 2-inch square and no larger than a 6-inch
square. They should be loosely filled and have a soft impact when thrown.

Lastly, some phys-reps are in the form of tags, on which is the description of the object and its function. These types of phys-reps are usually used to represent potions.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Right, but I thought we were talking about some people wanting potions, mystic components and resources phys repped as more than a tag.

And it doesn't clear up rather you HAVE to have a "lab" IG with a tag.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Acording to the rules right now, potions, mystic componets, and resources need to be taged and physreped

"Everything in game must have some sort of ingame phys-rep and a tag to go with it. A tag is a small slip of paper that is used to identify what an item is and that it is an in-game item. If an item does not have a tag you will not be able to use it in game"

Note: resources have there own requirements for physrepping and each resources does not need to be physreped, just the containers they are in.

So we are all guilty of note following this rule. :cry:

My opinion: as for a lab, no you don't becasue it has zero ingame effect. I would say the potion does not come into life until it completed. It gets to complicated keeping track of potions that are not completed and which ones are. Keep it simple, craft items and potions can not be stolen until completed. Or at worse, the making of said items can be disrupted and the person has to start over again.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Are we saying that we should have a phys-rep requirement under the skills Alchemy and Arcane in order to use the skill? I don't think that's a terrible idea. I've looked around and found inexpensive alternatives to spell books and potion vials. I feel if it was required within the rule book to phys-rep it more often that way, it would be.

As for tags, I agree with everyone that everything greater than costume value should be phys-reped/tagged. That is, if it can be stolen or has a value in game.

Edit: Except for coins, of course.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

What if for components and such we have a bag (zip lock or a better in game pyhsrep gm approved) that mystic/components must be kept in and on the outside of the bag we have a tag stating how many are in there, when some are used you simply lower the number but keep the physrep. Therefore tags/stickers will not cover the ground, crystals will not be easily lost because they remain in the bag and only the tags will be exchanged/altered representing how much magic power/components the stones in the bag make.

Because who is to say that 1 crystal = 1 component? you can keep the physreps at all times and just say that either the smaller ones don't add up to 1 component or that the magic is being drained from them leaving worthless stones.

And if you need a cheap potion pyshrep just use one of the glow sticks you used from past events, tape/color one end to look of a cork/top and you will have a vial of some liquid.
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?