Sage Hint - > NPC Camp

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Sage Hint - > NPC Camp

Post by Kalphoenix »

A couple questions regarding Sages getting sage hints just so everyone is on the same page. I have seen a lot of confusion and variation on this:

1.) Are the sages required to go to NPC camp in-character for the sage hint?

2.) If the answer is yes, what does this traveling around by the sages represent from a role-playing standpoint, other than just an excuse to get the sages out where they can be attacked? I was actually told this was the reason for making sages go to NPC camp, not a very satisfactory answer.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

If sages have to go to npc camp, I would say they have to go out and gather the information, iether getting that scroll, or meditaing.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

There is no out of game so cole's answer is perfect
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Heidi's question is do sages actually need to go to npc camp?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

If you don't want to wait for the off chance that an npc happens to come by that knows the answer... how else are you going to get your hint? :P
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

This's always been an odd one. Ex: Esmerelda's reading the cards to find insight; suddenly she jumps up and heads into the dangerous night instead...er...

???
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Yeah, but unfortunatly there is no way to do sage unless we have sages walking around with hand over their head or what have you.

I know there was a sage that went and got the hints they wanted, then RP'd the time afterwards in game.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I say the FH should supply the Sages with speed dialing cell phones with only the numbers of the GM staff in em.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

The alternative would be having sealed envelopes with all the sage hints at PC camp, and using the honor system. As the honor system is less than perfect, and the GMs cannot anticipate every possible change the PCs force them into making in the plot last minute by their reactions, this system would not work.

Else, there could be an "on duty GM" station betwix PC and NPC camp somewhere out of the way and "Out of game" but the GMs would most likely not enjoy just sitting there waiting for us when they could be providing us with more story/play/fun.

I believe sending the sages to NPC camp is the least of the evils, although I wouldn't mind if the trip was considered OOG, and upon return, they role-played the obtaining of knowledge.
Zaire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zaire »

I don't see a problem with the Sages having to go to NPC camp.

The in character explanation would be that they have to travel and do some minor research.

Some risks are worth it.
To avoid the confusion you may call me....

Stark
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

The only issue with sealed envelopes is inevitably the sages come up with something they want hints on that wasn't forseen before game on or is about something fun that was added to a plot at the last minute...
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

I either RP the time before I head to NPC camp or after; usually the former, giving plenty of time to be attacked or interrupted. Usually it's a trance or casting the rune stones so it makes more sense to RP it and then head to NPC camp for the hint.
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

of course, the act of walking to npc camp, is still IN game.
Travis Cole
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

that's why I don't take skills that require role-playing. RPing is for losers.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Sages and OOC...

Post by Torakhan »

As for the Sage Hints, why would a character who has no reason to leave a building to "get information" go out down a path to a location that doesn't exist so that they can be slaughtered at a time when they they were studdying in their library, or asking their pretty rocks, or communing with the Essence? (No, there is nothing to say that a Sage must go out and walk about in the woods for 15 minutes to figure out what's going on.) Sage Hint write-up says that a Sage must go to NPC camp (which doesn't exist in-game). So it must either be that the player must go, or the character must go to a location in-game.

So for now, if I were to go ask for a Sage Hint, I would spend the 15 minutes RPing the activity the Sage uses to get the ifnormation, then go OOG with hand above my head to go to NPC camp to hopefully find a GM there. If/when I do go OOC to walk to NPC camp, I usually make a lot of noise, saying "I'm Out Of Game" and hold a flashlight (when it's dark) over me so that nobody wastes an ambush on me. I also don't acknowledge anything that happens while I'm walking, or what I overheard either. But that's a courtesy I think everyone should use anyways. And if someone has too big of a problem with that... it's an easy fix for me... and I'd save $50 every Final Haven event after that. I wouldn't stop anyone else's fun, but I just wouldn't go.

Otherwise another idea would be to set up a set of walkie-talkies so that Players can call NPC camp (or GM's who are listening in) and have someone come to the location of the Sage-player for the information (If they don't want to broadcast over the walkie-talkie).
If "there wasn't anyone available there" isn't a good enough excuse for Players to find a GM, why should it be good enough for the GMs and NPCs?

By the way... I get sick of this so-called excuse "there is no out-of-game". I can understand when it's used as courtesy excuse when you slip on knowing what is IC and what is OOC.
However, it's thrown around to explain everything, almost to the point that it's funny. If everything was under the "there is no Out of Game" clause, then we would be doing REAL damage, using REAL weapons and there would be NO magic/monsters/etc. All items would have to be REAL, not just "physically represented" because that's just an out-of-game excuse as for why those aren't there. Everything that has to be "physically represented" by deffinition is OOG when you have to pretend to believe something is other than what it really is. Skills and abilities and actions that require OOG rules and conduct in order to exist and take effect is OOG. So please, stop using "there is no Out Of Game" as a blanket argument. You'd be out of a LOT of NPC players if those people had to remain playing dead, imprisoned or otherwise "there" individuals, plus we'd gack and capture up the GMs as prisoners and then who would run the plots? ;)

So let people walk Out Of Game to fulfill their OOG requirement for an In Game ability. As long as it isn't used excessively (I decided to wander around and stretch my legs... Oh, I didn't want to get hit and die, so I was out of game! My head is bleeding and I need stitches!)... why not allow it until we can get a GM chained into the PC buildings?
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer