Monk: Level 4 Meditate

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

I played a 4th-level monk until recently, and it was freakin' awesome! I felt downright immortal pretty much the whole time. Can't tell you how many times I was downed with massive damage, and the healers, busy trying to save the lives of others, would just say "Oh! It's Slisk! Don't worry about him, he'll be fine on his own and up in a moment."

NPCs RARELY try to do a killing blow on a fallen PC, and it's far more rare that other PCs give them a chance to. And PVP is hardly worth considering. I knew when I made Slisk, he'd only perma-die if eaten. Sure enough, that's what happened. :P

4th level monk is, IMHO, about the most powerful and awesome ability in the game. It needs nothing more - it SHOULDN'T have anything more, as it all ready trumps almost every other skill in the game.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Slisk wrote:I played a 4th-level monk until recently, and it was freakin' awesome! I felt downright immortal pretty much the whole time. Can't tell you how many times I was downed with massive damage, and the healers, busy trying to save the lives of others, would just say "Oh! It's Slisk! Don't worry about him, he'll be fine on his own and up in a moment."

NPCs RARELY try to do a killing blow on a fallen PC, and it's far more rare that other PCs give them a chance to. And PVP is hardly worth considering. I knew when I made Slisk, he'd only perma-die if eaten. Sure enough, that's what happened. :P

4th level monk is, IMHO, about the most powerful and awesome ability in the game. It needs nothing more - it SHOULDN'T have anything more, as it all ready trumps almost every other skill in the game.
I stand corrected. :)
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

opps
Last edited by General Maximus on Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

General Maximus wrote: 1. First, this is a game with rules. When you play a game, don’t you learn the rules before you play? Why are there so many people who play FH that do not know the basic rules and even what there own skill do? It is hard to play a game when people play by different sets of rules.
I read, re-read, and studied the rule-book before my first event trying to remember how all the skills and mechanics work, but I still wasn't able to remember everything. I primarily focused on the skills I would have, and had them down pat, and I memorized all the calls.

However, as a healer/interrogator, I didn't put as much effort into remembering exactly how long magic root lasted for, how banish worked, the different potions and spells, etc.

I totally agree that people need to know their own skills, period. But to have everything memorized....I can see room for some slack.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

There is a basic set of rules all PC's should know. All the combat calls. (There is a chart in the book) all skills they can use, taking damage, and about death and dying. That's it. A total of 2-3 pages worth of information if that. And if you want, know how the allgence system works if you want ot get into politics. And if you don't know something, there are many people who can help.

I'm not refearring to new people here, but people who have played the game for years and still do not know the rules.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

General Maximus wrote:I'm not refearring to new people here, but people who have played the game for years and still do not know the rules.
based on the Flee thread, that may include a GM or two :wink: :D
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

It's no secret that the GMs don't know the rules :P

The reason for that is probably due to the fact that we have spent so much time writing and revising that no one can remember what version of the rules we really are on. But that's why we have Nelkie and Reid (when the bastards come that is :lol: )
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Well, this bastard will be able to make this event! :D

My complaint about knowing the basic rules is more for the PC's than the NPC's. The NPC's have all there stat's written down and know what they can do when they come in, so knowing all the rules is not needed. But when a PC is in a combat stituation and does not know how to take an effect can cause all sort of problems. The NPC's flow with problem for the most part, but there has been times where it has caused problems. This is no new issue, but I do not expect people to know the rules as well as I do, but knowing the basic calls and ones skills would be nice.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

No if a PC does not know how to take an effect simply error on the side of suckage. Fear? hmm no Idea I guess I will run for 5 minutes

Crush? No idea but it sounds crushing so I guess I will fall to the ground and act hurt and be immoble.

See it is easy.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them