Spells and such

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Spells and such

Post by Sheogorath »

Questions:

1. the arcane spells in the rule book, are they considered common knowledge by all arcane and they all know them when they come in or must they be learned by using some of those character points you get with the new character?

2. How does an arcane learn new spells? Say for example river of stone, it is not in the rule book but I know some arcane know it. Must one research every time to learn these spells or can you just copy it down from their spell book?

3. Can those 20 character points be used to buy exotic items/armor/weapons such as curved dagger, lockpick, etc?
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

2. Arcanes find the spell IN game.

3. The chart for what can be bought is in the back of the book.
Travis Cole
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

arcane spells

Post by Malphus »

my understanding is that in order to "have" the spell, you need two things:

1) Sufficient Arcane to cast it (the right level)

2) A physical copy of the spell. To do this, you just have to copy the spell from another character (there is no skill needed other than Arcane. i.e. you don't have to be able to read/write even). If you don't know anyone who casts or have no desire to let people know you are a caster, you would have to go the research route.

On the plus column, you can spend your starting equipment allocation on spells. As mentioned in the previous post, there is a chart in the book...under starting equipment.

Steve
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

thank you!

I know one must be appropriate level to cast spell but do you have to spend character points to learn the spells that are in the rulebook or does one already know them and only has top wait until they are the right level to cast them?
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You need to get them in game or buy them with a portion or all of your 20 starting equipment points (cost is 2pts per level of the spell).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

and to clarify, you need to be of the appropriate level of arcane to CAST the spell, but not to just have it in your spellbook
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

I knew that last one...okay I'm good, but while I'm here how about some odd spell ideas,

Moved here to be in appropriate part of website.

http://www.finalhavenlarp.com/phpBB2/vi ... 6766#36766
Last edited by Sheogorath on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gingerswenson
New in Town
New in Town

Post by gingerswenson »

Oooo.... My 4th level arcane would love these.... Can I have them can I can i can I?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Most are overpowered to me, but there are a few not too bad ideas in there:

Comet Strike is ok, depending on casting time and damage. Probably already exists in some form.
Magic Shield. If it just creates a shield that works like a normal shield until the time runs out, I'd see it as entirely viable. Could also enchant a shield to not explode on the first hit over it's limit.

Others:
Silence - neat but what does it do to those that don't speak to cast magic?
Ego - isn't this called taunt?
Orgasmic Burst - too powerful and just weird.
Anamorphic - We already have huge limits on disguise as in reality this doesn't work. If you walk around as a "dog", we still know it's you in the backs of our minds and will act that way.
Youth/Old - k, I guess, but since this has no IG effect, why?
Fire Blast - you can already do this with Firestorm.
The End - way too powerful.
Bind - what is the point of this? On it's own it does nothing so without more info, I assume broken.
Duplicate - way too powerful.
False Duplicate - still too powerful (any free stuff is too good)
Sharpen/Harden - both too powerful.
Summon Elemental Blade - already exists
Summon Spirit - too powerful.
Last Word - intriguing but we may have a speak with dead. Almost worthy of not too bad.
Immortal Blade - too powerful.

Remember, anything that can disable someone for a number of minutes, or even 10 seconds = death and is probably too powerful. Personally, any skill/spell that can one shot kill a character without a resist is too powerful. Also, anything that give a 4th level power or multiple powers to someone is probably too powerful.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

so...from reading the list I assume you have PLayed Shifted Lands LARP?
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

You can use the Sage Research ability to come up with new spells. That's the proper way to handle spell ideas - submit them to NPC camp as your inbetween event research and await their reply on what you have learned.
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

No...I was just reading a D&D spellbook I found online I know I cannot know these in game just want to throw them in the air, really have no intention to get most of these

Silence - think of it as in final fantasy, nullifes magic for set time
Ego - no, not limited to attacking one, just attacks all enemies with no regard for health
Orgasmic Burst - What if limited to one?
Anamorphic - I know bad idea.
Youth/Old - Just to mess with people....funny to see roleplayed
Fire Blast - I know, just wanted to know if could skip the whole other part but never mind...
The End - meant as last resort, only if we are all screwed, kills all pc and npc alike and makes character non-risible. Lat spell he would ever cast sort of sense
Bind - To either save someones spirt who failed res, or to be rid of someone for a set time.
Duplicate - would take lots of components and time
False Duplicate - again would take components and have no ingame power, only looks like it, mainly for thieves to switch out things
Sharpen/Harden - yeah...i guess
Summon Elemental Blade - really? cool
Summon Spirit - again understandable
Last Word - is speak to dead arcane or what?
Immortal Blade - hehe but so much fun...
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

to a Mod:

can we get everything in here refering to the new spells moved to the other topic...?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Can we get an explanation that list must be new for it is not first eddition.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

oh it was a random spell book online, it said was used in d&d but i don't think it was official, and plus i changed the names and some of the attributes to make them simpler less powerful.