Sage Hint - > NPC Camp

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I don't think they suck. If I thought they sucked, I wouldn't make suggestions because they would be beyond help.

I said I thought they needed help to be more than a one-trick pony, which I was told was NOT the intent of the Sage path. I gave my viewpoints on why I felt that was the case and I am trying to decide if the skills that are pretty neat make up for the ones that are pretty blah.

I also don't think removing he armor restriction from Mimic (Which is all basic path and discipline skills) would be that unbalancing. Tossing 8 magic in heavy armor and swinging two (With knight or one of the other weapon focus abilities as a discipline I presume) doesn't seem that crazy...after all, you can't actually do both at the same time and Mimic is a MASTER level ability. It's supposed to be impressive. Dropping mimic to five minutes and retaining armor penalties would be fine, however.

And I know you disagree with me, Chris, but you thought sage mimic was only five minutes last time I talked to you, so I am trying to figure out which copy of the rulebook you are using every time you make a mechanics statement. :P
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I just don't see how anyone can think the sage is a one trick pony. One of their skills makes them a just about any trick pony. Yeah, just like all the other paths there are those couple things that people really want, whether it's 9 damage and 9 ko, higher soak and parry, 30 magic and magic sleep, or healing and whatever else it is that healers can do, oh yeah thats right, administer. :wink:

At first I did agree that the combat reflexes should have just given 2 instead of making a new skill to give one. But then I realized that an unarmored sage could ko another unarmored sage and it made ALOT more sense that it was 1 because ko bonuses out there are plenty and you don't want that potential # going sky high.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I use the book of Chris which is far supior to any other group, but only when you reside within the Chris Universe.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I think we just need to put a chris game mechanics filter on, what chris says on game mechains is truely opposite from what he says, unless another GM agrees with him :D

But we still love ya Chris. :twisted:
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Removing the armor penalties on Mimic would be an exception and exceptions are bad. Reducing the time to 5 minutes isn't a bad idea since it'd still require a large chunk of time to use.

As for one trick pony, I'm with Nelkie and Temple. Sage is a great path. You can fill any roll. I mean the ability to solve puzzles is nice, but giving boons to your friends is awesome, and the ability to throw the highest damaging charge skill per second (8 magic as an elf) is really nice. Plus, with Spot and other first level skills, a sage can be the plot multi tool. They can have pretty much every skill needed to get past puzzles, locks, hidden items, magic things, etc. Recall is cool but no more than Parry or Rage or Magic Sleep, or Surgury. They all are nice but each path has an advanced skill that is as useful if not more so than them.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.