Charging skills

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Charging skills

Post by NewGuy »

While I understand the point of holding up a packet when channeling, and evoking some spell verbally while casting arcanum, what about other less obvious skills?

-Does a Druid need to visibly hold a spell packet up to charge Root?

-What about magic sleep, must it be held aloft during the charge?

-Binding and inescapable binding: Must you inform them they are being bound as you start your count, and must you represent the process of binding during the process?

-Enchanting a weapon: does it require you hold it up or cast some spell over it?

I'd like answers, so I know what I can and can't get away with. It makes sense that you can't bind someone without their noticing, but there isn't a glowing ball of energy when you commune with nature (at least not while I do it)[/i]
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Does a Druid need to visibly hold a spell packet up to charge Root?
No
-What about magic sleep, must it be held aloft during the charge?
No, but most people do anyways for the added drama
-Binding and inescapable binding: Must you inform them they are being bound as you start your count, and must you represent the process of binding during the process?
Yes. You can loosly wrap rope around the persons hands but do not tie it tight
-Enchanting a weapon: does it require you hold it up or cast some spell over it?
Enchant weapon is a skill but it does not require you to hold it up. There are also spells that do it. None of the spells require you to hold the weapon up but they do require some "mumbo jumbo" ookie arcane stuff (Of your choice)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

there go my big plans...darn

I guess I can still use the hero point to instantly bind, then inescapably bind....not nearly as fun as having someone look down and realize they've been bound though.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I am betting you could bind someone without them noticing it. You technically only have to tell them they are inescapably bound AFTER you have done it but if you are not trying to be sneaky it is better to tell them as you are doing the count. It saves time
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

being sneaky requieres a phys rep :)

well actually it should all requiere a physrep but I will bridge that later.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

I always carry a rope with me, I have a phys rep for that, but the process of binding someone while they sit and chat in the inn, sit to be healed or cleansed, while they're casting...
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

remember, tying someone up is extermely dangerous by an amatuer and should not be done.
Travis Cole
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

Just as long as we're not talking about a case where Bob sits down on the bench next to Bill and talks to him for a few minutes - during which he puts a piece of string on Bill's leg and three minutes later says "By the way, you're inescapably bound".

I think someone would notice that kind of thing, don't you? Regardless of the game mechanics, things need to make sense from a roleplaying perspective. Things like having your arms and legs bound without noticing or not knowing when a huge pile of supplies disappeared out from under your nose totally destroys the roleplaying environment. I don't think that we're talking about that sort of thing here, but I just wanted to be sure.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

I inform people they are being bound, and that they are bound. The whole question came up to drive the point that some tasks are obvious, and some (I.E. magic root and magic sleep) are not. It's not like you can just tell someone, "Oh yeah, I've bound you, SURPRISE" I just wish you could though
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

It doesn't jive with the Interrogator rules, but I like where NewGuy is going with the "surprise binding". It reminds me of the Ninja legend of being able to bind an opponent without their knowledge. Although this is a mystic aspect of Ninjutsu, a very real aspect of ninjutsu is the combat binding. Through a series of parries, deft movements and use of a long scarf or cord, the Ninja is able to bind his opponent a limb at a time, while being resisted. All the while the opponent is AWARE of what's going on, he just can't DO anything about it. Although there is no game mechanic that would support that right now.

That would be sweet.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

this brings up a good point, why aren't magic sleep and magic root required to hold the packet above your head? This is somewhat counter intuitive to the "magic" part (especially in the description of sleep as it "gathers energies"). I've always considered everything with the word "magic" to be obvious.

Also, what's with the wording on repel undead? Is it ranged (says spell packet but isn't clear)? I just noticed that banish wasn't (for some reason I thought it was). Both of these really make sense as ranged skills. And both of them, based on their end results, would make sense to be obvious as well.

As for the hero point binding sounds cool, though it needs some counter or some specific ritual otherwise I'll just blow all my hero points to bind the first bunch of elite elves I fight next event (basically it'd mean a 1 hero point kill, since once bound you just slit their throat)
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Hero point inescapable bonds is worthless as it would take 3 hero points. The skill takes 3 minutes, and a her point can only reduce the count time by 1 minute.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

hmm, just noticed I can't seem to find where regular bonds takes 1 minute...

I guess that's out.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

It's under the section where is talks about general things every PC can do. It's a one minute process, and it takes 5 to wriggle free. The Hero binding would be for regular binding, not inescapable, but if you consider that you bind their hands and feet (thouroughly incapasitating them) you could stop someone who is running away instantly.
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

imho I see magic sleep and magic root I see as more of an innate ablitity, to protect themselves.....being defencive not exactly offensive. It's also not a glowing ball of any kind....why would you need to hold up the packet to charge??
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.