Charging skills

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I can not find it either that normal bonds take 1 minute to apply. Can you please quote the line.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Though it is a counted action taking 1 minute it does not fall under the cocept of heroic action decreasing the time on a skill by 1 minute. Heroic actions are meant to be used for skills listed under diciplines and paths only.

If you could use a georic action on any counted action then you could technically use a hero point to speed up a 5 count to kill a person. Then all hero points would be death sentences.

So no it cannot be used.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

They could still choose to fight back on the killing blow, so it's not an instant kill. Actually, since they aren't feigning sleep or death, it's gray whether it'd work at all.

But nonetheless, if hero points aren't supposed to be for any skill, then the book needs to say that. A simple "Reduce the time to activate a path or discipline skill..." would suffice.

Yeah, and I scanned the whole of the Special Actions and can't find regular binding anywhere, unless the book changed since May.

And Shea, how do you know root and sleep aren't glowing balls? And I'd argue that anything with the call "Magic" is not innate.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I agree with Ried, the book needs to state that about skills. If I wanted to use a hero point to instantly kill a sleeping person I would think it would work. same with instantly binding using normal binds. I don't see the reason for it not working.

And anything with magic in it should be pretty obvious that it is happening unless a hero point is used then you would see a quick flash of light instead of magic building up.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well then should we allow 2 hero points to be used and insitute the call "speed of blade death strike" :)
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

No, you try and tie someone up instantly, they resist, as they are not unconscious or incapacitated and you've wasted your hero point. Then you're stupid enough to try and killing blow them and they laugh and say, you just wasted another hero point. You can't do either of those things if someone attempts to stop you from doing them so the speed of blade death strike reference is really moot. You say hero point killing blow, the recipient says, doesn't work, I fight back unless they are unable to.

On the other hand you ko someone, you should be able to spend a hero point to cut the 5 second count out or to tie them up instantly. Or if you have the skills and you want to spend 2 hero points to ko them and then killing blow them I don't see the problem with that, the warrior can still parry, you could still flee the ko, or you could have an armor rating high enough that it doesn't happen. As it stands the only difference is the 5 second count, you could still ko someone with a hero point.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well technically, you can tie a person up as long as they do not resist. If you heroicly tie a person up so it is now instant then the person does not have time to resist.
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Hero points werent ment to make you move at the speed of some comic book super hero so you can tie somone up or saw their head of instantly. They are intended to simulate thw will power of a seasoned adventurer to ignore pain (5 LP)/ strike just a tad harder (+1 melee damage)/ focus on a task at hand to expedite it (diminish charge time).

No matter how hard you focus on it, your hands will only move so fast when tieing somone up or dismembering them or any similar task.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

So, if you play a stitch up healer and decide to take 1 minute off the time it doesn't mean you moved alot faster than you should be able to? with the killing blow or dismemberment you still would have to put your weapon on them, it eliminates the count segment not any of the rest, and have you ever seen a rodeo? Thats inecapable bonds in a few seconds!! And in a game where you can bring someone back from the dead, I don't think we should really be saying you can't make your hands move extremely fast.

you can tie a person up as long as they do not resist Right, so you simply say I resist if you able to and they've wasted a hero point.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

A Rodeo hog tie IS NOT the same as inescapable bonds. C'mon, thats the simplest knot around, its just effective cause the cow doesnt have fingers or an IQ higher then Jux.

and yes healing isnt a matter of moving faster, since healing isnt just just bandages and stitches no matter how one RPs it. No ammount of ER care will take a warrior from -1 to full in 4 minutes and have him up and fighting. There is magic in it no matter WHAT the healer says.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Wyrmwrath wrote:A Rodeo hog tie IS NOT the same as inescapable bonds. C'mon, thats the simplest knot around
But my original suggestion was normal bonds, not inescapable. It's fair to role-play it as you lasso-ing the opponent as they try to run, they can still break the bonds or wriggle free with the right skills. My rope that I used as a vis-rep is fashioned as a noose (It's so I can carry it uncumbersomely, I stick my arm through the loop and slide it up to my shoulder, than drape the cord around the back of my neck and down my side, it stays out of my way, and I can have it ready to use in under a second) so why wouldn't I be able to lasso someone with a hero point? My character did used to go on a lot of hunting parties on horse-back.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

New Guy, I don't think the neat trick your proposing is a problem. The problem stems from can you Hero tie (now they are not moble) so now you can hero point kill them.

No one wants that.

And did we get rid of I slit your throat you die?
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

no slitting a throat still takes 5 seconds.

And I'm still lost on tying someone up taking a minute (or less)... I cannot find this in the current rules. I see how to escape them, but not perform them. It's pretty tough to hero point a skill that doesn't seem to exist. I'm not saying you can't tie someone up, but that you can't hero point it, since it's not a governed skill under the rules.

As for hero pointing a slit your throat call, I could see it on something like you knock the guard out and need to escape and blow the point to kill him outright, giving you five extra seconds to run whilst causing some extra rucus. As long as the person is unable to fight back (ie unconscious, tied up or feigning death) it's fine.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.