fear

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well because when you are feared you "flee" thus the skill "flee" seems to be the skill that should work. I mean it is a skill that demonstrates your ability to run really really fast.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Just think of it as a powered up resist fear (since theoretically they could hit themselves for zero after being hit with a fear to interupt their own call. Course this depends on whether the act of calling damage is "entering combat" or not).

Interestingly, the Avyana version of the Flee skill does not get interrupted via a hit to the front.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Well I guess my point is that Flee is a powered up every resist. I have yet to hear anything melee that you can't flee from. So it represents alot more than your ability to run fast.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well, if I am not mistaken it allows you to resist melee attacks from the back. (it is a representation that they run faster than you)
Chris
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I don't think the problem is with what flee is or represents. The question is, why should someone under the effects of fear be able to resist everything just because they happen to have the flee skill. Fear represents the inability of a character to think clearly. Maybe they are not running as fast as they normally could because they are freaked out and breathing heavy and their legs feel heavy and their head is swimming and they are panicking and thus simply forgetting they are world class wusses...I mean runners. By allowing flee to be used, you are in essence giving the scout a slight resistance to fear because it will not effect them as much as it might someone else. I definitely see Erik's point.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

the flip side is a world class wuss..i mean runner...who is scared S**Tless may well run FASTER...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Chris it only affects things that hit you from the back while in flee true, but it can be used as a reflexive resist, which in effect makes it an all encompassing resist to any 1 melee attack, and even sometimes an exploding fire elemental :P and then all subsequent attacks to the rear. It doesn't make sense, it's the only life point skill you can use after you've been feared. I can see some of the other things but not only is fear a higher level skill (I think) but it's supposed to make you inable to activate skills. Would a poisoned person be able to flee? I would think no then why would they be able to do so under fear?
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I dont complety understand what you are saying, but Mike abandoned me so well I defer to him
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Id say because a toxin will supress or hinder somones phisiology, and fear would supercharge it AKA fight or flight response.

In general, poisopn will supress your heart rate and beathing, fear accelerates them. Honestly, I think the use of fear should be MANDATORY if someone has it , has no fear restance or immunity, and gets feared.

Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Shrugs* I see flee as duck and cover, a tactical retreat where you're dodging blows and such where as fear is a flailing screaming OMGZ IT"S AFTER ME!!!!!. Not at all the same thing.

Chris, you are hit with fear, but instead of running like a biatch or cowering in a ball like everyone else does, you can still tactically retreat. You can still use life points to activate a skill whereas noone else can unless they have a fear resist. Now if you have a fear resist and then decide to flee that would be something completely different. But if fear can cause a seasoned warrior to forget how to fight and do all the things he's been doing all his life for a time and run for his life I just don't see how it doesn't affect avyana or scouts the same way.

The fight or flight example should then cause an instant taunt or running away. You can't have one side of the natural reaction and not the other.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Whoa, back up the truck. I thought the Flee ruling was that it could NOT be used as a reflexive resist. I know how it was used for the field ruling for the fire elemental explosion, but I was sure that the final ruling was that Flee only protected you from attacks to the rear AFTER it was engaged. Mike/Wayne/Chris, please clarify.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

But if fear can cause a seasoned warrior to forget how to fight and do all the things he's been doing all his life for a time and run for his life I just don't see how it doesn't affect avyana or scouts the same way.
The warrior doesnt forget, he simply is forced, by magic, to chose the flight resp0onse instead of the fight response. Another way of looking at it is charming/dominating the will of somone and commanding them to run for their lives.

WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The warrior doesnt forget, he simply is forced, by magic, to chose the flight resp0onse instead of the fight response. Another way of looking at it is charming/dominating the will of somone and commanding them to run for their lives.
Fear does not force someone to run any more. It just renders them mechanically ineffective. The RP aspect is up to the person hit with the fear.

Flee Skill is NOT reflexive. You have to have it already activated to be immune to attacks from the rear. You can, however, activate the flee skill while under the effects of fear.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Wyrmwrath wrote:I I think the use of fear should be MANDATORY if someone has it , has no fear restance or immunity, and gets feared.
Fear doesn't make you run away, you can RP it however you want, I for instance, just scream my head off at whomever called fear. (it's an incentive for them to not do it again :D )
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Just to SUPER clarify though this is not a ruling for next event we are talking about next year.

Currently, flee cannot be used while feared

BTW what I am proposing though is not that you are feared, then you flee, and then somehow can circumvent the flee. I am proposing that while under the effects of fear you can activate flee to help you escape since it is an escape skill.

Flee and fear are the same level too
Chris