fear

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

fear

Post by cole45 »

1. how do life point skills interact with fear? fear says charged and charging abilties drop, but nothing about life point skills
Travis Cole
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Life point skills are dropped as well.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

it doesn't actually SAY that. It says you may not activate or use skills, it does NOT say it drops them. Poison does.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

It should good catch.

We should add that flee could be used with Flee but it should be the only skill.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

excellent.

Please add that to the rule update section then. That would be excellent. It was Phil that brought up this gray area.
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

huh, I guess I don't really see why life point skills should be dropped (I've never played it that way). Of course charged ones would, since fear is an "offensive action". Life point skills still couldn't be used while under the fear effect anyway, since fear is pretty specific.

Plus, if you are using Rage, you couldn't flee immediately which is a neat twist to rage (this would also prevent someone from getting out of rage without the cooldown, which is possible if the skill is dropped).

And ultimately if you've ever seen my cat, you'll know that fear and extreme aggression go hand in hand (in the case of rage).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

hmmm

YOu can have rage all you want, but since you cannot attack while feared rage does nothing for you.

Likewise, if rage is dropped (5 second cool down) verse fear 10 seconds I dont see the problem.

What I will not have is "fear" followed by 1 1 1 1 1 but Oh wait I had Def matrix going so you didn't hurt me.

It is that situation that goes against what fear is suppose to do. Therefore, just drop the skills. It is easy and simple.
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

But you can't "use" defensive matrix, so you'd be defying the fear rules by not taking the damage. Likewise, someone with flee could use fear to insta drop rage (if you drop skills) for a life point (or 2 if they also personally use fear). I can think of a few times where that would have been handy.

It's really sort of a toss up on which is better. Dropping is easy but opens a couple loopholes. Not dropping is a bit harder to understand but is pretty solid once it is.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
RenLightfoot
Town Member
Town Member

Post by RenLightfoot »

It would make sense if "Flee" was exempt to this rule, someone hits you with fear and you do everything you can to get away
"I think you underestimate the sneakiness"
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Currently, fear reads:
While under the effects of Fear, no skills or abilities, except for Flee, may be used. Any charged or charging abilities are immediately interrupted and lost. A Feared character can neither attack nor defend - any strike on his or her person, weapons, or carried equipment counts as a hit. The Feared character may still move, talk, manipulate objects, etc, but should role-play the Fear appropriately. Some examples of appropriate role-playing are running, cowering in a corner, hiding behind friends, standing and screaming, etc. The fear effect lasts for ten seconds.
I think it should read:
While under the effects of Fear, no skills or abilities, except for Flee, may be used. Any charged or charging abilities are immediately interrupted and lost and any abilities that required a life point to activate are temporarily suspended for the duration of the fear effect. A Feared character can neither attack nor defend. Any strike on a character's person, weapons, or carried equipment counts as a hit. The Feared character may still move, talk, manipulate objects, etc, but should role-play the Fear appropriately. Some examples of appropriate role-playing are running, cowering in a corner, hiding behind friends, standing and screaming, etc. The fear effect lasts for ten seconds.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

technically that is what happens now. But that is a whole lot clearer.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Wayne, we should change Flee so the description allows for its use during fear
Chris
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Agreed. Having it in both places gets rid of some confusion.
A character with this skill can spend a life point to Flee. When this skill is used the character must call “flee” and run away from combat for 10 seconds. A character cannot enter combat while using this skill, nor can they return to combat before they are finished fleeing. While fleeing the character is immune to all attacks issued from the rear, including damage, fear, root, taunt, etc. All attacks from the front are still valid and disrupt the flee skill. The flee skill MAY be used while under the effects of "fear".
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

looks good.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

my question is why is flee so almighty? I would think that even flee wouldn't work during a fear.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!