New Skills Brainstorm

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Going Hungery
At a cost of a cumulative life point per event used, 1 food resource may be taken off of the costs of survival that event. *2 food/ 2 supply/ 1cloth* *May not be used by privillaged characters*
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

I like the idea of an additive (or subtractive if you look at it that way) property of multiple PCs with the same skill. Examples:

-Multiple Empaths binding the essence together reduce time (or chip draw)
-Multiple Healers decrease healing time
-Empaths can channel energy together (must all be within arms reach of each other, but can channel even higher amounts with higher charges)
-Craftsmen working together to repair or create
-Craftsmen working with rouges to trap the armor into going off on death
-Multiple people interrogating/torturing

Many of these ideas have precedents (3 sages working on 1 hint, 3 arcanes casting firestorm, sages researching with alchemists/craftsmen/arcanes)
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

There are many ideas for skills here and a few ideas for implementing them. Though, I feel one that furthers Eric's idea of future advancement for higher level characters could be useful.

Perhaps:

the acquisition of these "epic" skills would require a starting level. Perhaps level 40. Maybe each skill could cost 5 points and each character only be allowed 3 of such skills. It takes about three games past level 40 to gain about 5 character points.

Perhaps to relearn a new "epic" skill, to replace old "epic" skills, would cost 10 points. Rather than, it costing time such as unlearning normal skill. And it costing points would mean it wouldn't alot points back to the player. 10 character points would take about 6 games to gain. Each skill is a decent boon and could carry a bane or additional cost of use along with it.

Does this idea make sense?
Last edited by Andian on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I would still like some feedback on this idea. Does the way I've explained this make sense and does anyone think it'd work for the long term game?
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Not a bad idea. I think it makes sence
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

So, the way unlearning is for 'normal' skills would remain the same. As I said, it would take time and it would give back the player's character points in order to be spent elsewhere. Where a 'epic' skill would cost 10 points. I felt this would reduce quick change skills. Though if a person has saved their points, allow it in some situations. And a person could only buy/replace 'epic' skills.

I thought it might bring forth something else to look forward to besides surviving to that level.
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

The current list, mostly due to Travis so far:

Subtle boomtossing
The Character may charge any ability with out raising their hand into their air. All normal charge restrictions still apply.

Press Standoff
By expending their use of press for a battle, the character becomes immune to press if and only if they do not move. They lose their ability to use press for the rest of the battle.

sabatuer
The pc may reduce the military points of any organization by 25% of his base allegence. This may apply to external groups, or interal ones. This can be identified by the investigate skill.

Cryptography
The character may reduce the time on any decipher script check by 50% or may increase the time on a check by 50&(coding the script.)

Alchemecial perfection:
The character may brew one more level worth of potions at a time.

Helping hand:
If you have the same skill as another player, you may team with for the action to reduce the time by half.

(not frelling likely)Mobile Charging:
You may move while charging, howver you must double the charge time, and all damage taken is concidered vorpal. (or crush if you like that better.)

Stable charging:If you take a hit while charging, you do not lose the charge, however you do add ten seconds to the charge time AND take the damage as crush.

Elven magic:
Elves may expend their use of lesser channel to swing magic forthe duration of the combat. this may be done in any amor, and it uses up the lesser channel for the duration

Orc perfection
an orc may spend his racial press once per combat to deal Lash Press. This uses up press for the duration of combat.

Valkyn'vi:
A valkyn'vi may use up his racial kncokout for the duration of combat to deal 1 vorpal knockout. this takes a minute to charge, and costs a life point.

Improved hold ground.
a warrior who is holding ground may drop hold ground with out dropping to zero. this requires an uninterrupted 10 count. at the end of which the warrior losses all hold ground benefits.

Going Hungery
At a cost of a cumulative life point per event used, 1 food resource may be taken off of the costs of survival that event. *2 food/ 2 supply/ 1cloth* *May not be used by privillaged characters*

-Multiple Empaths binding the essence together reduce time (or chip draw)
-Multiple Healers decrease healing time
-Empaths can channel energy together (must all be within arms reach of each other, but can channel even higher amounts with higher charges)
-Craftsmen working together to repair or create
-Craftsmen working with rouges to trap the armor into going off on death
-Multiple people interrogating/torturing
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We are actualy working on an entire advanced charcater thang which we really really should have done this off season.

We will have new and different way to do hero points.
We Might have a new skill pool to pick from.
We might have skill customization/specialization
We will have new/advanced disciplines people could work on.
We might have monster player rules

We might even have it balanced the first time out the gate. All of this will go into a new advanced player book.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Sounds awesome. Perhaps I should not think to hard on how I'd build my character. I had a advancement list to level 20. Yet, if there is anything in the new items that may come out after off-season, it might be worth just compiling my short stories and remember where my character showed up. The main character in my short stories with him, was Ravinal and sometimes other characters. My character Andian was always a support character, though I've always liked him more.

This gives me some possible thoughts on more stories I could write.
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

GM_Chris wrote: We might have monster player rules
Monsters? Did somebody say monsters?
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I always wanted to play a gelatinous cube. Or a roper
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

I'll rip off the Likelikes from LoZ. Eating everyone's shields will be fun.
GLOMP!
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

I still like the idea someone suggested last FH of a 'reincarnation' type of ability or spell that you sacrifice your high level character (min lv maybe like 50-70) and create a 0 lv character with some of the first guys abilities. (Probably only disciplines ans not paths.)
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I always wanted to play a gelatinous cube. Or a roper
MR or MRS Roper?!?!? I always though Jack or Chrissy were the best characters......Janet was a bitch.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

Or some sort of advanced arcane skill where after a certain level they become like a level 5 or 6 arcane and are able to cast the spells that previously required more then one arcane...
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?