New Dicipline Idea

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

anyone think this is cool?

AWESOME! Why didn't I think of that?
23%
COOL! I thought of that a long time ago.
8%
EEH! If I thought of that I'd have kept it to myself.
23%
ICK! I'm glad I didn't think of that.
No votes
That's so horrible, I think I peed a little.
15%
It's an ok idea, it's the poll I hate!
31%

Total votes: 13
SirPercival
New in Town
New in Town

New Dicipline Idea

Post by SirPercival »

Ok, I was told to post any ideas for new skills on here, so here we go
please feel free to pick this apart as much as you want, it's just an idea.
I won't cry (much anyway)

Agent-Privileged, common
Every kingdom throughout history not only needed armies, assassins, spies, and diplomats to advance its goals; they also needed people to work behind the scenes. Agents were the people who could be relied on to do the dirty work that politics couldn’t. Whether it is burning a field that might provide food for an advancing army, or stealing an artifact for the ruler, the Agent was the silent messenger for power. Now in these dark times, they are needed more than ever, for no one can afford to play by the rules anymore.

Level 1: Forgery
Character must be able to read and write the language he wants to forge. Character can forge a document that is believable in all ways including use of grammar, spelling, etc… (However will not make the document necessarily believable by it’s meaning) To forge a general document that will hide who actually wrote it, it takes ten minutes to use this skill. To forge a document written by a specific person it takes a sample of the pc or npc’s handwriting, and one hour to complete.

Level 2: Disguise
The Agent is a master of disguise and can disguise themselves as a non-specific member of the same race. While in disguise no one can recognize the Agent except upon close inspection, i.e. a body search. Disguising takes one hour to perform. After this time, the player must report to NPC camp (Game Headquarters) for 1 to 5 hours, during which time they will return secretly to the game as their disguised PC. If the PC has the Assassin’s disguise ability, they can disguise themselves as a non-specific member of any humanoid race (within GM’s discretion).

Level 3: Kidnap
The Agent is adept at kidnapping people. Agent gets +2 Knockout

Level 4: Networking
The Agent gains a contact in the village, and has a chance at having a contact within any large group of NPC’s. (GM’s discretion)
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire
"Watch the potty mouth" - Captain America
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Your level 1 doesnt work within the structure of the game. Your level 4 needs some work. I like the idea but what would be the purpose/ mechanical benefit of the contact? What would they do for you? I like the concept but the top and bottom need work
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
SirPercival
New in Town
New in Town

Post by SirPercival »

hmm, damn I thought the forgery thing would work, oh well, I'll come up with something different
but on the contact, I thought it would be a useful tool for any rumors that happen to be happening, any strange activity, like when the elves were building the gate, basicly that someone NPCs is in the employ of the character. Will do small tasks at his requests, start rumors, whatever the PC can come up with (within reason of course) It's usefullness would pretty much totally depend on the player.
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire
"Watch the potty mouth" - Captain America
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Heh, that 4th level should say patsy.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Monion/underling/tool/pawn...uhm...ooooh ooooh NPC!
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Lycanthrope (Lycan) -Savage
(This discipline requires a trip to NPC camp and a wait determined by GMs to activate, and requires phys-rep as a beastman race would. The time to change appearance can be incorporated into this wait. A similar trip and wait are required to end using this discipline. While in Lycan form, players cannot use skills from other disciplines, paths or their racial boon, players however gain the boon of the beastman, immunity to disease. Additionally, Lycans in beast form gain 1 temporary LP, and 3 Combat reflexes)

Description

The 'changing' that caused seemingly normal people to become beastmen during the cataclysm has been studied intensively in the last several years. With intense focus and primal instinct others have come across a way to temporarily inflict a changing on themselves.

Level 1
Feral Claws

The Lycan can duel wield claw class weapons, calling "1" damage wield wielding claws. This does not count as ambidexterity towards monk and brawler enhancements. While in Lycan form, weapons may not be used. A lycan's claws cannot block damage (hits to the claw phys-rep are taken as damage)
Limited to Light Armor

Level 2
Bristled Hair

Lycans are used to the call of the wild, and as such can spend a life point to ignore any kind of fear effect. This does not count towards having fear as a bonus to resist fear.

Level 3
Carnivore

The Lycan can feed on the dead to heal lost life points. They can heal half of their lost life points in two minutes and all of their lost life points in four minutes. The Lycan must be feasting on the flesh for the full four minutes to heal all of their lost life points; otherwise only half are regained, rounded down.

Level 4
Sharpened Claws

The Lycan can now swing for "2" damage, and block with their claws.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mechanics of waiting in NPC camp already exists for Disguise
The mechanics of beast form exist for Beastman
Feral claws is based on Ambidexterity, a lvl 1 skill
Bristled Hair is based on Resist Fear, a lvl 2 skill
Carnivore is based on Consume Flesh, a lvl 3 skill
Sharpened claws is based on Iron fists lvl2, and weapon masteries lvl4
The bonus LP and combat reflexes help counter the cost of losing all other skills

It's merely a very rough suggestion, feel free to amend, or completely scrap my ideas, but I thought I'd give my 2cents on how you might be able to get such an idea to work.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Aristocrate -Priviledged

Description
The upper crust of many societies are left to their own devices, so to speak, in order to keep themselves entertained and fit. However, such parlor tricks and futile exercises might just prove useful.

Level 1
Taunt
The aristocracy often know exactly how to insult their guests, and bare no shame in resorting to petty name calling. The target must direct all actions towards the Aristocrate until the target is struck by another character (Damage does not have to be dealt), the Aristocrate dies, the Aristocrate turns their back, or the Aristocrate leaves the line of sight of the target. Taunt takes an uninterrupted 5 count in order to use. To use this ability, the Aristocrate must hit the target with a weapon or spell packet and call, “taunt.” There is no armor restriction for this skill.

Level 2
Resist Poison
The blue-bloods often encounter poisoning as an attempt at assassination. Years of poisons and antidotes surging their bodies builds up a more tolerant immune system. The Aristocrat can spend a life point to ignore the effects of poison. If the Aristocrat is also a Dwarf, then the Aristocrat gains an immunity to poison

Level 3
Flee
The elite often have the need to turn tail and run. While some see it as a sign of a coward, they see it themselves as tactical retreat. The Aristocrat can spend a life point to Flee. When this skill is used the character must call “flee” and run away from combat for 10 seconds. A character cannot enter combat while using this skill, nor can they return to combat before finishing the flee. While fleeing the Aristocrate is immune to all attacks issued from the rear, including damage, fear, root, taunt, etc. All attacks from the front are taken and disrupt the flee skill.

Level 4
Vorpal
Years of fencing practice and an affinity to such rapiers has taught the Aristocrat to puncture the armor of his combatant. An Aristocrat may spend a life point to begin swinging “vorpal” damage. When swinging vorpal, all incoming attacks are considered crush. The Aristocrat cannot use any skills that have a charge up time or take a life point to activate except for the rage skill. However, this skill may not be used in conjunction with the rage skill unless both hands are on the weapon and the character is not carrying a shield. Note that before the character may pick up their shield again he/she must make a five count to deactivate rage. The Vorpal skill may not be used with a blunt or headed weapon. To turn Vorpal off a character must also make a 5 count. These counts may be made at the same time.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Ruffian -Savage

Description
The untamed residents of wilder areas have learned to survive on what they can find, kill, or take. Life has hardened their hides, and put ferocity into their hearts.

Level 1
Press
A Ruffian has no qualms with shoving people around. As such A Ruffian can press offensively and defensively by spending a life point. Please see Press on page 96.

Level 2
Duel Wield
A Ruffian often carries a knife, dagger, or short sword with them to plunge into their enemies, should they get too close. This skill allows a Ruffian to wield a weapon in one hand and a smaller sized weapon in the other. If the primary weapon is of ‘short’ size or smaller, both weapons may be of equal size. The character may choose to use a light shield in one hand instead of a weapon without receiving a penalty to their armor category. This shield cannot have an area greater than 350 square inches or a side longer than 18 inches. (For more about shields see page 103.)

Level 3
Flee
Whether running from the authorities, the gaurds, or someone who caught them committing on of their many crimes, Ruffians have learned to high-tail it out of there. A Ruffian may spend a life point to Flee. When this skill is used the character must call “flee” and run away from combat for 10 seconds. A character cannot enter combat while using this skill, nor can they return to combat before finishing the flee. While fleeing the character is immune to all attacks issued from the rear, including damage, fear, root, taunt, etc. All attacks from the front are taken and disrupt the flee skill.

Level 4
Pugilist
A Ruffian is likely used to taking a great deal of blows to the head, and has learned to remain conscious under such situations. A Ruffian may spend 1 Life Point to resist a sleep or "Knockout" effect (i.e. any
effect that has “sleep” or "Knockout" as its call).
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

These suggestions are merely there because I see a lot of good skills unavailable to many life-style. It seems to me that savages should be just as likely to duel-wield as commoners, if not more so. Similarly, Flee can often be seen in the cowardis of nobility, and in the actions of seedy pick-pockets and thieves.

I've tried not to make them over or under-powered.

**The Lycan suggestion was because of a recent question as to whether Ware-wolves could be a race. This very poorly designed discipline allows the fun to playing two characters, without the problems of meta-gaming, being over-powered, and such. It was a Lark**
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

NewGuy wrote:These suggestions are merely there because I see a lot of good skills unavailable to many life-style. It seems to me that savages should be just as likely to duel-wield as commoners, if not more so. Similarly, Flee can often be seen in the cowardis of nobility, and in the actions of seedy pick-pockets and thieves.
The thing about the lifestyles is that it inherently limits your choices. There may be rationales that certain skills SHOULD be available to certain lifestyles. However, game balance dictates that each lifetyle should have disciplines that the other two don't. I see what you were trying to do. It makes skills available more widely across lifestyles, but also takes the flavor out of lifestyles.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Malphus wrote: It makes skills available more widely across lifestyles, but also takes the flavor out of lifestyles.
We've heard the line a million times, so say it with me, everybody all together now, "It's all in how you Role Play it" :wink:
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

"It's all in how you Role Play it"
Believe me, I get that. What you're missing is that different lifestyles have different skillsets to preserve game balance.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Actually New Guy those are not too bad.

I wil have to think on those.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Have to check is if adding Resist Sleep to Savage is an issue.

Though I'm not particularly fond of dual wielding Crush. (Barb with this as second discipline).

Also, press isn't in Savage either which causes an issue. It allows for more freedom on race choice, if a savage wants press. While it seems nice, there are better choices for racial boons which can make for some pretty beefy characters.

The ruffian isn't bad, but I think it might make certain builds easier and more powerful than they already are.

Aristocrate doesn't seem bad. Resist poison in privileged isn't a problem I don't think.

Lycan is too powerful. I'd never leave the form, and have lots of extra points to spend on support skills.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I missed that one.

Lycon's will be in the game, but it will be a path/discipline combo where 1 gives you control and the other gives you power. You will not have a choice when you become beastial only how much control you have when in beast form.

Basicaly, how much NP time do you have killing your friends :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them