New Dicipline Idea

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

anyone think this is cool?

AWESOME! Why didn't I think of that?
23%
COOL! I thought of that a long time ago.
8%
EEH! If I thought of that I'd have kept it to myself.
23%
ICK! I'm glad I didn't think of that.
No votes
That's so horrible, I think I peed a little.
15%
It's an ok idea, it's the poll I hate!
31%

Total votes: 13
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

GM_Chris wrote:Please find me the rule where it says you can even have more than 2 potions while in negatives. I just read death and dieing and the healing skill and I do not see it.

Thanks!
Chris, my understanding for the potion argument is that people with Mystic Heal and Transfusion can drink potions themselves to directly heal someone in negatives.

It does require two skills as well as potions to do it though, and unless you have multiple healers teaming the same person they will probably bleed out before you are done bringing them back up to a "safe" point. Most people having both skills that allow them to insta-heal do NOT have a ton of life-points to hand out, even with utilizing potions.

The last time I was present for someone being brought back from quite a low number, it took three of us to do it: Donovan, Laura and Delayne. I believe it was Kels, but it was earlier this season, so I don't remember who it was for sure. That kind of teamwork should be rewarded, not penalized. We're not talking about one person bringing people back from -30 (magic items aside), we're talking about multiple healers working on someone, which should be encouraged. As long as people can do 1-3 damage a normal hit, or 3-40 a charged hit, people should be able to heal someone back from it if you get to them in time.

I think taking care of the issues with alchemy will go a long way in taking care of these perceived issues involving potions and healing. In the meantime, I think everything is fine and I don't think ANYTHING should be done against healing.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Just to add, I believe Mystic Heal is fine the way it is, since to do instant heals, you DO have to have two skills. Adding more penalties to something that already has restrictions seems quite excessive.

If any power-gamers think a particular skill set is unbalanced, I want to see them using it and abusing it before accusations get made. Then, I'll buy it's probably overpowered.

I'm unsure of whether the certain hidden discipline that keeps being brought up has this restriction (charged skill unless you have the transference skill), but if it doesn't, it should.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

The last sentence in Death and Dying (page 96) is "character's life point total is less than zero, they may only be given a maximum of two healing potions."

Does that help Chris?
GLOMP!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You don't need a team effort. You need a single person! I'm sorry for being grumpy but damn, I've put up exact numbers on what a single pc can do (and that was without him spending his/her own life). -18 is a continously repeatable level of healing without potions (with using life). Each potion is then +4 life.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

NewGuy wrote:That is correct as currently written. And as a genuine (non-sarcastic) question, how often do we come across unicorns and phoenix?
We (Vicente, Kahl, white wolf[name?] Mackenzie) ran into one at winter haven, it would have cured our disease but someone accidentally used a hero point to do that. Oh and I think one of Doug(slisk's) past characters was part unicorn or something...(Dalid[sp?])
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Yes, Dallid had a giant unicorn head. It was rather scary

Is there a pic of that online?
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

A team of people should not be able to bring a person back from -112. That tell's me soemthing is broken.
As for the number of times a peson gets dropped into high negatives an event, i would say that happens 2-5 times an event. It is even higher when there are monsters swinging 5 crush or empath's throwing 30 magics.

Here is the system I support that will allow all the negative healing in the world, becasue the risk is still there when you go into deep negatives.

One must have a surgeon or anther skill that uses the chip bag if you are at -10 or lower. You must draw a chip from the bag each time you get healed enough to go into another negative category. If a red chip is drawn, the person dies from shock. If a white chip is drawn, they still live and further heealing can be performed on the person in negatives. Note: the negative chip draw is seperate from any chips drawn for surgery

Negative categories
0 to -9 - any one can heal
-10 to -19 surgeon must be present
-20 to -29 surgeon must be present
-30 to -39 surgeon must be present
etc...
Coming back form negatives.

Now, bring a dead person back would also change. A peson body needs to be healed to zero before the resurection process can be done. The same rules would apply. The chip draw for the negatives would be seperate from the chip draw to res a person. If a red chip is drawn, than the body can not be repaired and the res will not work.

Note: If a person died from a negative chip draw, they would start at the negative they where healed to, but failed their shock draw.

Example. Biff is hit by 30 magic when he is at 1. He drops down to -28. Luckly there are plenty of people around to start healing him. A surgen heals him for 10 life brining biff to -18. Biff draws a shock chip and it is white, he lives. The surgeon does first aid and gives soem potions to biff healing him to -9. Biff draws a shock chip and it is red. He dies.
The healer feeling horrible that he failed, does surgery again to heal the dead body to 0 and the res process begins.

Now, I would remove the 2 potion in negative limitation with this new rule. I feel this would balance all the negative healing skills and bring drama to the game for the people who tend to get into deep negative's. One should not be able to be easly healed from damage that is 5x larger than their postive life. It should be hard and scary, and have some risk.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

It seems like your trying to do a simplification of surgery. If this surgery were the case, I'd feel the limit of two potions to the patient would still have to be there. Keeps people from using 500 level 1 heals to bring someone back. Almost as to say that a mostly dead patient can become saturated with too many potions, making excess uneffective.

As of now, a person can surgery, cast a certain spell, perform transference, use two potions, use first aid, and use a mystic type of healing. The style of healing your suggesting makes it so surgery is the only thing required and other types of healing become emergency or situational heals. I don't know if I like this simplification.

Edit: The reason I don't know if I like it is the fact that now chip draws are 10, then 1 heal point per draw. This would make ever chip draw a negative catogory. Meaning, each catogory is 10 health healed. I don't think this makes it scarier. And I don't know if we're actually looking for scarier in this situation of healing. Actually I don't know exactly what the mass wants for healing through negatives. Realistic, scary, etc.... Surgery is usually emotion driven as it is now.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We talked about this and most likely the druid and palandin 4th level skill will only be able to be done to one person per scene.

This way you will not be able to transfer drink transfer drink..repeat
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

We talked about this and most likely the druid and palandin 4th level skill will only be able to be done to one person per scene
Once per person per scene. Like press
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

that would really tone things down.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

yeah, it seems like the easiest fix
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

now, as a mystic healer, you coulds till hero point your self WAY up in lp, and then drag someone back from the dead. (I don't have a problem with tis because it's hero point limited.) but it could happen.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

True. We were also thinking of puting in the skill that they could mystic heal themselves to death to bring their target to 0. The mystic healer would then be dead and could not be the target of resucitate.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I don't think it's usual for characters to be healed at -100, it's rare. If it isn't, then I agree that is an issue and should be looked at.

However, with the amount of damage that can be dealt out in this game, I think hampering healing further without toning back damage is a mistake.

To do instant Mystic Heals requires two skills. Now it's being said that it needs to be restricted even more. (Also mystic heal for paladins is a level 3, not 4. It's four for druids because they have multiple abilities to pick from).

Ok, well...I also think, under this line of thought, ANY ability that requires a lifepoint to activate should only be able to be used once per scene since it's the same deal, right? The player could just keep chugging down potions and keep using the ability over and over again, so it's the same problem. Try to convince me why it isn't.

Now, that being said, I wasn't aware that people could stop someone from bleeding out WHILE they were being instant healed (IE: being healed but not being brought back up above negatives), so in most cases, unless we have a healer with a excess of lifepoints, which isn't common, they aren't going to be able to bring someone in low negatives back up before they bleed out. If this isn't the rule, then it should be. If anything, telling a character they can only use mystic heal once per scene feels more artificial than the two potions rule.

Upon using mystic healing, the dying character should continue bleeding out until the character is at zero. It should NOT reset the bleeding out process.