Levels

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Just for clarification, I do believe the 0 level characters skills are about the same diiferential between the average player base and starting characters in the 3 LARPS I've played not counting NERO.

I've yet to come across a LARP that auto updates your character for you, that would take clairvoyance because your skills are usually listed on your character sheet. :wink:

This is the only game I've played where your pts are just assumed to be added to your character each event.

This definitely isn't as big a deal as helmetes or armor and I just wanted to bring it up to get you guys thinking about what I see as an unneccesary rule. I mean ann 80th level character would have possibly 1 more hero point than Atrum did when he died (and one less if they weren't awarded any in gameplay hint hint poke poke) and Chris you watched how I went down like a bitch. :lol:
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I believe he even laughed when it happened.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Right now, there is no transfer of levels.

But,

I could go for it as well.
Pros
1. It allows your night level character's levels to MEAN something. to an 80th level char it doesn't mean anything, but to a 4th level that's the differance between a quick death and a slightly slower one.

2. encourages players who are a little burned out to try a new character. That's a GOOD thing. we want those players here forever, let's encourage it.

3. You still have to earn the levels. you aren't magically given them or anything.

cons

1. Erik pointed out above. Wankerism. Can we rule out wankers? no. we toss them them into the beat bag.

2. less level zero characters. slightly less gaming development.

3. players can min max to get the perfect build ahead of time. (they do this anyway. I know my charactersd have their entire advancement scheduled on a speadsheet.)

So let's throw a cap (Lvl 8 or 12 or 20) on that bad boy and call it good.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I would be against a cap

Instead... HAHAHA I would recommend yet more paperwork.

each player would have a tag. For example I would have the Chris Nicholson tag. On that tag it would have information like how many games I have playe, total points earned, and total points spent per character.

Each player would ofcourse be responsible in explaining each even how they are spending the points

As to Evan's comment on levels I believe it was 2 years ago.

Should I start a thread on how we can improve our poor performance on logistics? This is the first I heard about it honestly no one ever mentions it on the feedback page and I would love to hear how we can do better.

Oh and as to others allowed to bank levels, don't believe what you hear. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

How about a sheet of paper thats basically just an XL spreadsheet with the cells printed out that says XP Log, just like the one in the CARPS character sheet package. Not that it's a perfect fix, especially for people like me that forget to put an entire years worth of games on it and are about to go PM the GM on said CARPS borad to ask if he can look through the checkin book and tell me what events I attended last year. But it's a start.

I thought you guys were putting together a database to use across chapters? Wouldn't that kind of information be exactly what should be in that database?
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

our database man somehow got talked into running carps :)

hehe

What other games allow the pooling of points?
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

CARPS does, Jhakarovah did.

One of you computer working guys could do it. OpenOffice has a database building tool that works very similiar to Access(or so it's supposed to, I'm going to find oout soon enough). If I don't go crazy setting up the databases we want to add to our network here at work I could possibly be persuaded to do it but it would have to be some time off, possibly in the off season when my life slows down to 100 mph.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Doug is still on the case. I will be getting the newest version of the app from him soon so all the GMs can test it out. Hopefully we will have it up and running in the near future.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

I didn't think that I would consider asking more about this. I didn't think that I'd ever want to play a second character. Yet, I do. There are, of course, reasons behind this.

My search for a tech support job in Grand Rapids or any other place in Michigan has come up nil. Therefore I've been looking for a job in other states. If I am able to find a job in another state, I'll most likely not be able to play FH or WH anymore :( . Though, if I'd be able to find a tech job somewhere in Michigan, I'd try to make even more games than before.

The person who is creating my 'real' elf ears has had a snag in his prosthetics creation. He says it will take quite some time to create the pair in my skin tone. And I'm kinda tired of being a two tone elf. So, I've created this second character until he's finished with those ears.

I will not be able to make the FH even in June, it will be too close to my son's birth. There are a lot of things in that game that make me want to make it there with Tullus as my character in that game. I just know that I will have too many responsibilities to make it.

And so, I put myself on here as an example for the possibility of 'bank level' transfer. My character Tullus would be level 20 at this next game if I played him, yet there is the costume situation of the elf ears. I would like to bring in this new character to the WH game this weekend at level 4, keeping Tullus at level 16. Having a few more skills than level 0 would help this other character's credibility in his background. He would be a Sage and I've noticed level 0 Sages don't seem to get many in game benefits. What do you guys think.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

you could move to Iowa :)

You have a son?

WOW CONGRATS!
Chris
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Not yet with the son, he'll be around next month. =) And thanks.

-Mark Twain
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

well let me know if you are willing to move we may be hiring. What do you do? have any certs?

Pretty nice company I work for and you can drive with me to FH :) hehe
Chris
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

I'm pretty much willing to move anywhere I can get a decent job. I have a computer service cert from Baker College, A+ repair equivalent. I was working on get more certifications before I went broke. I don't make enough money at the job I work at now to get more certs, kind of expensive. *I didn't mean for this to become a thread about getting me a job. Though if it happened I'd be greatly appreciative. lol*

-Mark Twain