Removing armor bonuses

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Removing armor bonuses

Post by dier_cire »

Since Chris brough this up, I figured I'd give it a bit of interest. It's sort of a neat concept with both pros and cons.

Pros:
more classic sit down type hitpoints.
easier for Npcs as they can just say what they are ("you see a group of warriors")
no need for people to worry about what category their armor fits into
less issues with armor/costume safety
new work for the craftsmen (new recipes ie shields) see below
no more heavy crap for me to lug around ;)
less bitching about soak (though it'll stil exist due to low life+cr builds)

Cons:
no reason for anyone to wear armor
less fun for the craftsmen
lowered recovery time
need to re work what shields do (ie maybe lower cr by 3, though possibly countered with a shield that doesn't do this)
those people who would wear armor have less encumberance

I dunno. I kinda like it though it would change a lot of things. I'm not against wearing armor, but it would resolve issues with me getting cold, stiff, and/or sore. I do like the hitpoints move as I think I was one of two people at nero wearing armor, as if I remember correctly the soak is level based while armor is static (skill based?). It'd reduce the need for spending money on phys-reps that can be expensive only to watch them get thrashed as you take a header in the dirt (I almost teared a bit when I put the first ding in the the new detailing).

neat idea but definitely a change. Just thinking on it, it'd be easy to do in a simple chart, just take the lowest armor category (or turn this to a number if you realy wanted and multiply the two together to give more options) and take the additional CR in the box.

ie: (I added the +1 for innate helmets)
light= 4
med= 7
heavy= 10
or
light+light=2
light+med=3
light+heavy=4
med+med=5
med+heavy=7
heavy+heavy=10
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Soren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Soren »

To remove armor from the game would be a travesty. I think seeing people in armor is so immersive for me. Granted, I don't come to many games and for the little bit of protection that armor gives you it is hardly worth donning/building/paying for the phys rep as it is. For some reason people still do it. That is because we, as a player base, care about the game and how it looks. (I hope I'm not being presumptive by adding myslef as an "in") If armor were null and void, making people not wear armor (by way of not giving a reason to wear it), the game would take a huge hit by people not wearing that wonderful stuff. I know, coming from a background of fairly cheesy LARPing experiences, that crappy armor can shake you out of the game, but people should benefit for effort.

I am rambling but this is my overall:

When I looked at the pix from the January 1-day, I got misty. People look really friggin' good. I am super impressed with the costuming, particularly the ARMOR. If that were gone, I think the game would suffer. Please don't let the armor die. I can assure you all this...as long as I play the game (for 1-2 events a year), there will be armor. Even if I don't get points for it.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

To be the devils advocate we could remove weapons and go to a rock paper siccssor game. That would make it so people don't get sore and the safty of the game would go up
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Chris, doing rock, paper, scissor would remove a human skill from the game. Wearing armor does not take skill. These two are not the same.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Not true! Knowing HOW to move in heavy armor to maximize your effectiveness is definitely a skill. Knowing how best to actually apply and wear the armor is also something of a skill. The human strength attribute also makes an important difference. I'm definitely moving more naturally in my armor now then when I first got it. Over time, I''m learning how to better work with it.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

If we remove Armor I will burn this place to the ground!! I will leave not a scorched stone to be remembered by your children and your childrens children!! I will salt the earth!
I will...... I will...

I will Whine relentlesly and Stomp my feet.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Soren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Soren »

Todd wrote:If we remove Armor I will burn this place to the ground!! I will leave not a scorched stone to be remembered by your children and your childrens children!! I will salt the earth!
Preach, brother!
Pugo Redfang
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Pugo Redfang »

I agree with Doug on this one.
Soren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Soren »

Slisk wrote:Not true! Knowing HOW to move in heavy armor to maximize your effectiveness is definitely a skill. Knowing how best to actually apply and wear the armor is also something of a skill. The human strength attribute also makes an important difference. I'm definitely moving more naturally in my armor now then when I first got it. Over time, I''m learning how to better work with it.
I put on my gauntlets for the first time last night and got into full costume. It appears I cannot hold my mace with my gauntlets. A problem I could not have forseen. hmm.....
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I agree with doug and todd!
Travis Cole
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

I think making it into a straight hitpoint type game would ruin alot of my fun.

I think it is awesome knowing that I for one take a huge hit on my soak if i take off my armor.

I also love the fact that I have to have help putting on my armor, which was very remenicient (SP? prolly butchered that) of the way it used to be having squires and what not waiting around the warriors to do just that.

I also love the fact that knowing that unless I do something physically to quiet myself down when I move that I will never go on sneaky stealthy type missions, cause my movements in my armor is just two damn much noise, which again is true to form.
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"