Unlearning, Relearning Skills

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Unlearning, Relearning Skills

Post by Kalphoenix »

Ok, here we go, hopefully not too convoluted. The skills are arbitrary. Also ignore the fact that you get more points as you level up, since that is kinda an extra complication and not necessary to the questions.

Let's say we had a character set-up like this:
Greg's character is level 8 and has 280 points.

He is a master Rogue (150 points)
He also has skills in Warrior which consist of:
Determination (20 points)
Combat Reflexes (20 points)
Vigor (20 points)

Now, he's left with 70 points, so being the ADD character that he is, he decides to spread out his points on a few level one discipline abilities.

He picks up Assassin (Level 1) which costs him 0 points, since it is his 1st discipline, with the thought of possibly going on in that discipline later.

He then picks up Archer (level 1) then Knight (level 1) for a total of 40 points, leaving him with 20 points.

He knows if he decides to unlearn his Warrior skills, he has to unlearn them once at a time in order, starting with Vigor (his highest) then Combat Reflexes and then Determination.

These are all separate scenarios, based on the above information:

First Scenario: Greg plays his character for a few events, and then decides that his character doesn't want to be an assassin, and is becoming a skilled archer instead. Greg chooses to unlearn his level 0 assasin skill. He realizes that he may have to unlearn some other skills (at one per event) to fully master archer, but he knows it will be worth it to him. Now, how could Archer become his 1st discipline after unlearning assasin at the cheaper point cost? Would he have to unlearn archer as his 2nd discipline first before before learning it as his 1st discipline? Or how would this work?

Second Scenario: Greg came up with an idea for a hidden discipline, but the GMs have to review it. He knows there is a chance they may approve it, so he wants to make sure he will have room for it in his repertoire of skills later, but he doesn't want to go the entire span of the approval process without SOME secondary skills to fill the space, even if has to unlearn some points. Can he take Archer and Knight as his 2nd and 3rd disciplines, leaving the 1st discipline slot open, just in case? If the discipline isn't approved, he can always take something else, or (See Scenario #1).

Third Scenario: Billy the Boatman teaches Greg the super-secret "Fisherman" discipline including the awesome "Fish Tail-Slap," "Fish Boomerang" and "Stench of Ages" skills. Greg decides he will want to master it and starts by unlearning Assassin (his 0 cost discipline). Can Greg then learn it as his 1st discipline after unlearning assasin (Access to the "0" points at the next event)? Or does Archer automatically bump up to being his 1st level skill and he must unlearn Archer and Knight before he can learn the Fisherman discipline as his 1st discipline?

I hope these questions make sense?
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Ok, your mostly right, except....

Your 'primary discipline' is which ever discipine you have the most levels in.
~ If you have lvl 1 Assasin & lvl 1 Archer then Assasin is your primary. If you buy lvl 2 Archer, Archer becomes your primary as it is you highest total levels of Dicipline skills.
~ If you choose to unlearn Path skills you can do that and it doesnt effect you Discipline levels
~ If the character now has 'Primary Archer' (lvl 2), and 'Secondary Assasin' (lvl 1), and then learns the new 'Fisherman' up to lvl 3, it becomes.. 'Primary Fisherman' (lvl 3), 'Secondary Archer' (lvl 2), 'Tertiary Assasin' (lvl 1)

The points all balance out in the end no matter in which order they are spent.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Soren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Soren »

wait!

I didn't think you can unlearn path skills. please clarify.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

In the scenarios she mentioned he was Rogue (master) Path, but had also learned additional Warrior Path skills.

To unlearn the Warrior skills, or to reduce his Rogue level, would be done as normally.

He could never unlearn beyond Basic Rogue.

Better?

~the Lunatic fringe~
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

That's what I wanted to know, thanks! :)

That was really over-detailed, wasn't it? Wasn't sure how to ask what I wanted to know, but I guess I managed anyway. :)
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Soren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Soren »

Todd wrote:In the scenarios she mentioned he was Rogue (master) Path, but had also learned additional Warrior Path skills.

To unlearn the Warrior skills, or to reduce his Rogue level, would be done as normally.

He could never unlearn beyond Basic Rogue.

Better?
I think we need a quorum on this because it is contrary to the rules. Not trying to be silly, but it says you can only unlearn disciplines and that paths cannot be unlearned. What you described was a considerable departure from that.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You cannot switch paths. You can reduces the levels you have in the path.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

And path skills you learn separately (anything you buy separately with points), like the warrior path skills above that cost 20 points each, can be unlearned normally, like any discipline skill.

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

correct
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Point of record, however, Steve is correct. That is not what the book says
Soren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Soren »

so......

Which is it, then?

:wink:
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I'm right, the Books wrong. ;)

We'll have to get this one in a FAQ asap.

You can 'Unlearn' ANY skill with the exception of your Basic level in your Chosen Path.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Soren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Soren »

werd