Sage, split topic

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

A skill of their choice every 15 minutes actually, which is overpowered IMO. The 3 levels is as well, 3rd level disciplines are pretty spawny in this game like passwall, disarm, fear, magic root, resist sleep.

Adding the words "ie with 1 15 minute speech" after in conjunction with is an easy fix so that it is abundantly clear. Another possibility would be to lower the time at master to 10 minutes or so.

The sage IMO is the least played for the same reason a Loremaster or Sage in other games is least played, because many people like the combat at LARPS and they want to have IG skills for it. The sage and the warrior are the only 2 paths that don't have any armor restrictions also. Many people overlook the defensive possibilities of the sage and not seeing anything that would immediately help them in a combat and the 2 life pts they pass it over.

There is stuff in other languages out there, but most of that type of stuff is being horded and not shared with everyone else by the sages that happen to have it. To read 1 language to start is 10 build pts which is 66% of your total build pts. Sages get 2 languages every level so basically 60 build pts worth which is the equivalent of 10 suits of heavy armor or 60 shields or units of food.

Multiple sages can buff people in multiple locations at once so there could very well be a need for multiple sages IG. An example would be Sat night when the Orcs needed to stay in their cabin to meet Nosh's men. Or if the town gets split like it did that night.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

Sorry Reid but I totally pretty much disagree with you on the combat thing. Sure out of game skill has something to do with it but stats and mechanics are an equal part of combat. With puzzles I dont see those hints as being equal.

Temple, I can totally agree with 3 levels of a skill being broken now that you mention some of the things that can be done. I am not overly familiar with the rules so was just tossing it out as a suggestion.

The languages issue I totally disagree with you. I will agree that the FIRST language a person gets to read and write is that valuable, however subsequent languages are only useful if things are introduced into game in those other languages. Then even if they are introduced they need to be important. Having bob the farmers journal written in elven that pretty says he was a farmer and liked to milk cows really dosent mean much for the Sage even if he can read it compared to the guy who cant.

I will accept that my interpretation of "in conjunction" may be incorrect and this would be an important clarification that I would like to see made. I never read it that I could do all 3 sage buffs at once. If so thats cool but let me ask another question.

Can multiple sages stack their buffs on people?

Sage 1 gives 1hp, a resist magic, and 1 5pt attack.
Sage 2 gives 2 Armor, a Resist Damage, and 1 5 pt attack
Sage 3 gives another 1hp, a resist sleep, and 1 5pt attack.

Does everyone now gain 4hp, 1 resist magic, 1 resist damage, 1 resist sleep and 3 x5pt attacks??

I have a hard time accepting the heavy armor arguement when even the warriors dont wear heavy armor from what I saw and that fact that it would seriously limit what mimic could be used for. So its neat that they can put on armor and that they can swing a weapon its also kinda counter productive with their best skill mimic.

This bring up another question I had with regards to mimic. Do you have to see the exact skill you want to mimic used? For example if I see someone do an advanced backstab for 12 dmg I cant mimic that. I can however mimic a backstab for 3 damage. Would I have to wait until I saw a rogue do a 3 backstab or could I count the 12 back stab as my now being able to do the 3 back stab?

Perhaps an easier way to phrase the question. If I see Eli use greater Transference can I mimic that and use lesser Transference or must I see someone using Lesser transference in order to use it?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I'm pretty positive that there is stuff out there IG that is written in other languages, important stuff. and more will come into game, as you play more you'll see that type of stuff tends to not make it into the general populace once most sages get ahold of it.

That's why I put examples, so people could see what 3rd level disciplines do. I actually support your idea of sages being able to do 2nd level disciplines, they aren't quite as spawny, the spawniest probably being dual wield.
Can multiple sages stack their buffs on people?

Sage 1 gives 1hp, a resist magic, and 1 5pt attack.
Sage 2 gives 2 Armor, a Resist Damage, and 1 5 pt attack
Sage 3 gives another 1hp, a resist sleep, and 1 5pt attack.

Does everyone now gain 4hp, 1 resist magic, 1 resist damage, 1 resist sleep and 3 x5pt attacks??
No, as it stands you can only have 1 buff of each type (sage,alchemy, arcane) on you it is possible to have items that buff though. I think that only arcane can "enchant" an item though.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by The Jackal »

/lurk off

As to things coming into game in different languages:
*grabs walker and shambles towards a warm fire*
Back in the day when I played, I happened upon at least a dozen phys. reps. of other languages in scroll form. That was cool as hell, due mostly to the fact that I couldn't even read them OOG so there was no way I had to worry aboot metagaming. Nice flavor IMO. If things have changed....*shrug* Also creating your own language is a grand idea for those of you sages who like to kill and eat peasants. oOoOOoooOOOOoo cryptic journal...

As to bullshitting for long periods of time..

I found this to be a greatly enjoyable experiance. Its kinda like a philabuster (sp?) Write something up inbetween events. Just go crazy with a wierd story about some guy name Murdock or some shit.
The best part is that the HAVE to listen to you! Captive audiences are sooooo much fun to torment! Encourage audience participation; make it into a tale that must be drunk to at every odd minute; have everyone stand on one foot......Make it fun for yourself. Don't shorten the time. When I played what the Sage was giving out was well worth the wait! This may have changed as well.....*shrug*

In closing I am audi 5000..

/lurk on
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

I have no problem with 15 minutes. I just don't like the idea of 45 minutes ;-)
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

OK. Originally 'Conjunction' meant 'conjunction'. Along side, parrallel, as well as. etc .etc. 'Conjunction' didnt mean 'Combined with'. Now that being said, I actually dont know the official rule. We'll have to pow-wow and get back to you.
All in all, +1 LP is pretty weak, when you have a bonus limit of 3, and an Empath can transfer in a fraction of the time. Multiple buffs dont stack so nay on the 3 attacks (+5 respectivly).
Mimic. Cool skill but we dont want to make the time too long because we want to avoid Re-Pops. The Idea of a Master Mimic with one skill per event is intreguing, but could be broken. Definately something to look into.

I'd like to take a moment to discuss LP buffs. This came up in a discussion about Costuming of all things. Because we have skills that have a LP cost, we want to keep the number of LPs restricted. Its my opinion that all buffs/boons that confir extra life (costume, transferance, etc.) should give Hardened Skin, rather than LP's. This makes the Sage a bit more valuable if the can give a LP, as its burnable for skills.

We dont want to make the buffs to powerfull for the OOG reasons. Imagine Colin and I standing back to back as Sages with full armor, and an ass load of buffs. OOG skill would definatly come into play.

Languages, and puzzles, where a bit light this event. And believe me I like these skills. Remember we're just tossing around Ideas, none are better or worse than others, some just might be more appropriate.

~fin~
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

If (and this is a big if) one were to have the "mimiced skill" until the end of the event, I think mimic should be something to the effect of....

Sage A witnesses Player B do a skill (whether it be the basic or advanced form). Sage A then decides he wants to mimic player B, but can only do so in the Basic form. He spends anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes practicing that basic skill. The Sage can then use that skill for the rest of the event, or can spend another 30 minutes to 60 minutes practicing a new skill they just saw to replace the skill they currently have "memorized".
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Alendark wrote:Sorry Reid but I totally pretty much disagree with you on the combat thing. Sure out of game skill has something to do with it but stats and mechanics are an equal part of combat. With puzzles I dont see those hints as being equal.
Apparently, you've never been on a Wayne Overla plot. (sorry, Wayne, but had to pick on ya)

Also, as for other languages, yes, there are MANY things in other languages that are very important to plots. Just because you didn't see any doesn't mean they aren't there. In fact, I looked at a couple of them today (old ones).

As for mimic, it's too bad Brad B. isn't on. He uses that skill all the time. Heck, there's quite a few people that have been first aided and healed by him. No need to buff it too much.

Though its rather over, the speech skills are clear. Granted they could be written more simply by removing "This skill may be used..." with "This speech may be done at the same time as blah and blah"
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I can agree with 45 minutes being too long. I want to remind people that the empath takes alot less time to give a LP but they have to get it from someone else, and they have to do it one at a time.

A sage can buff 500 people at one time, if that many were at FH.

Basically the sage gets more and more powerful depending on who hears him/her.

Also hints to puzzles are huge and we had several arcane scrolls go into game that requiered decifer script. Sorry to those arcanes that felt left out.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them