Assasin

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well you can start to unlearn man at arms andthen when we bring the plot in with the monsters who throw sleep every 10 seconds you will wish you were a man at arms. :)

Some disciplines are more geered toward PvP and some are more geered toward normal NPC battles.

The assassin, IMO, is still a discipline geered toward PvP. The man at arms is a bit in the middle.

Oh and I should point out that parry you need to have a weapon at the ready to use. Nothing like chatting it up with an assassin and have them vorpal knockout you in the front.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

That is incorrect. Parry/Avoid does not require a weapon in hand to use the skill. There is not where the skill that states that requirement. Will this be a late addition to the rules??
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Would it be considered a big deal if 50% of the warriors in game were suddenly given Resist Magic for free? It's the same as this change.

Another take, giving 10% of all possible builds Resist Sleep for free isn't a big deal?

And I more than likely will be dropping Man at Arms. It's 4th level skill is no longer worth the loss (plus I'll still be able to do everything I could before). Too bad I'm stuck in common...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Maximus wrote:That is incorrect. Parry/Avoid does not require a weapon in hand to use the skill. There is not where the skill that states that requirement. Will this be a late addition to the rules??
Parry was always intended to be a 'weapon at the ready' skill, but you are correct. It doesnt actually state that. No this will not be a 'late rule change', though it may be looked at to be cleared up in the future, but even if it does it wont be until the off-season.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

I see your points Reid and agree with your logic, but I don't think the assassin changes are broken. I think the assassin is slightly weaker now (albeit significantly more versatile) and since I don't like assassins as a general rule, it works for me :D

I would actually consider playing an assassin now, because I think the RP possibilities have been greatly enhanced. For example, with these rules an extremely useful character that I think would be fun to play would be a Valkenvi Sage Assassin-useful in almost any situation.

I think the man-at-arms 4th level change is ok since knockout can come from more sources than sleep, and it fits with my conception of the discipline as the ultimate guard. Regardless, you hit it on the head when you spoke of not getting hit in the back very often. In FH team tactics will always (and should always) beat any individual. I feel sorrier for any lone wolf characters out there as the assassin is now more deadly in taking out or disabling someone one-on-one (with the exception of warriors).
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Do you guys think it is remotely possible that the reason you do not get hit in the back very often is because we often play disorganized monsters and you guys play an organized army? Just a thought. I might start calling "1 back" just to emphasize :lol:
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You can move to privledged if you want, it just takes time unlearn and learn.

Oh and I knew it didnt state you needed a weapon at the ready, but brought it up to see what you would say.

Now that it is confirmed what direction the players feel it goes I guarentee it will be corrected.
Chris
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

GM_Chris wrote:You can move to privledged if you want, it just takes time unlearn and learn.
Last I heard you couldn't ever change your lifestyle, because it was an expression of how your grew up, not how you live now. I remember a discussion about this (I was pretty sure you were involved in it too, Chris), but I can't remember if it was here on the boards or on a Sunday after an event.

I understand if you want to take it on a character to character basis, but letting people change lifestyles is a HUGE rule change. There is no documentation for changing lifestyles (Just disciplines within lifestyles) or anything that implies that you are able to.

Is it new and I missed this? I haven't made it all the way through the new rulebook yet, so if so, I appologise.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You cannot change paths.

You can change lifestyles. Think that movie, you know, with the ape, and the guy from silence of the lambs. He so changed lifestyles!
Chris
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Well, let us know what the process is for this, because it isn't listed anywhere that I can find, and you did say it wasn't instantaneous. :)
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

We need to make sure that everyone is on the same page on exactly 'How' it is done. The idea of a 'Lifestyle' change is that you would 'unlearn' ALL of your discipline skills (requiring time and lack of use) so that you can 'learn' new skills in a new discipline/lifestyle.

Now.. the reason that that is (currently) not technically possible is that you CANNOT unlearn the first discipline skill learned at character creation.

This is not a rule addition, but we will post a 'clarification' once it is properly worded.
Note; This is a rule that would NOT appear in the Core Rule book, but will certainly appear in the upcoming GM book.

~the Lunatic fringe~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

intriguing...

now, if only I could become an orc... (or a guthrie)...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

But you wouldnt because then you'd have to wear green face paint, or bushy eyebrows. :D

~the Lunatic fringe~
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

So (Not trying to be factitious here, honest), you would need to unlearn your entire discipline/s (Even if your discipline is allowed by your "new" lifestyle) and then re-learn it after switching to a new lifestyle?

Sounds fine by me, if you have to unlearn everything (Except path) at a rate of one ability per game. It requires some time/work but still leaves the possibility open.

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I could always go half race, and keep the horns :D (I think I heard you can choose both or one set of traits but only get one bonus, never actually looked into it)...