need feedback on Barbarian

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Depends on how you do it.

If they are trying to hit you and you back away and hit the tip of their weapon calling damage then um no that does not count.

If you swing your weapon and then they block your weapon with theirs then yes it does count.

You seem to be saying you want to defensively block their incomming attacks all the while calling damage. That would be cheese

Another example, is if you have a pole arm and you attack a barb and the barb keeps hitting the tip of your spear calling crush. That too would not cause damage since you are standing 8 feet back from the crush person. Basically a pole arm is the best defense againt a crushing person.

That is why aragon used it aginst a troll
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Trevor Owen
GM

For the record

Post by Trevor Owen »

For the record - I strongly dislike this... the subjective effect of whether crush effects a weapon and whether someone was swinging defensively or offensively is not possible to judge in combat. It will result in many out of game arguments and discord.

I would rather see all crush hits to weapons count or none, but no partial rules, it is just too difficult to referee without getting angry people.
Master of witless lore and red herrings
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

The reason I am so against the defensive blocking technique is when I was a monster at CARPS and had a bunch of players almost beat me down in anger because everytime they tried to hit me I would simply block and call crushing damage.

I am not saying you can catch every hit nor am I saying this should call arguments, but you know when you are defensively calling crush. It is way obvious.
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I don't see tons of barbs, and I can think of half a dozen ways to counter them, so I don't think the skill is uber powerful or uber weak.

Going back to the orignal point, can't we just agree this isn't a good idea and end this thread?
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

SOME more questions:

If you have a bunch of non warriors as a shield wall who would break up the wall faster? barbs or some other dicipline?

How much has allowing warriors to parry crush affect barbs?

Should barbs have an armor restriction? (They currently do not)
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Answers to your questions.

1. shield wall killers, pike men, 5 vorpal, gaernader (5 crush), empath (boom's), any path that does fear, taunt, arcanes, empath lash attack. The best way to break a shield wall is with empath's.

2. The abilty to parry crush has very little effect on barb's becasue they swing such low damage.

3. Under current rules, armor has not effect on the barb becasue they take vorpal when they crush.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Hmm I think i dissagree.

Tell you what, if there is time this next event we can set up a quick play test.

Your choices all use time skills to break a shield wall while the barb crush rush I think would be more effective.
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

for the umteenth time crush pwns vorpal. Not in a swing away race to 0 fight but thats not how most people fight. For the simple reason that vorpal can be blocked and crush cannot.

I don't think the change is neccesary or betters the game in anyway.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I am not comparing crush to vorpal but the 4th level skill to all other skills.

Vorpal is awsomein certain situations as is crush awsome in certain situations.
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I'm game for a quick play test. Now the questions is what is the shield wall going to be made up off. An army sennerio? A line of adventures?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

The shield wall needs to be made up of a bunch of non warriors.

As for disciplines well, they cannot all be people with resist fear, but I am ok with some having the skill.
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

With the change to the barb (can use fear while crushing) they make a very good person to break shield walls. The next best way to break a shield wall is with an empath.