Queries and opinions

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Armor is a hard number – no chance of metagaming there – either it blocked the knockout or it didn’t. Passwall could have a similar counter if walls had a fortification level – a high enough fortification would prevent Passwall from working. But then you’d need mechanics for improving Passwall and fortification just as Armor and Knockout can be improved.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

it could but we are not going that way.

I highly suggest you guys work on comming up with a different non OOG skill instead of trying to convince us to put ppasswall back. There is very limited time before we will not accept any changes for the rest of the year.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Maybe we need to ask a more pointed question:

Besides the fact that it was a unique skill, what about passwall did you like or find useful?

Based on the answers to this question maybe we can work towards a skill that accomplishes something close.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

There is in fact a counter to pass wall...post a guard or two!
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

There is no mechanic rule to counter passwall unlike every other skill in game expect for disenchant. You can counter anything with proper planning and people. I just talking about mechanics and rules.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I know this is old but, Passwall came in more handy than sleep ever did I used it atleast 2-3 times as much. It was useful outside of combat, that was the thing about it and you can't take away the fact that it was a unique skill because that is inherently part of it's usefulness, not everybody did it and not every plot\situation had a way to get around it. I've passwalled doors, piled up rubble, walls, trees, used it as a test in Vaunaphasauk to see if perhaps the people there were phased in a similiar way, stuck my head in\through things to get some idea of what was on the other side safely and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. But it's gone and I can't really see a way to do anything similiar without the short OOG so... more damage YAY!
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

sorry :(

We were really hoping someone would come up with something cool.

I did just thought of something. Would it be possible to remove the passing through ropes and stuff, and perhaps allow passng through doors.

No OOG you just ope and shut it behind yourself. Basially an ignore locked door skil :)
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

That would work but it's nowhere near as handy as passwall, as a 2nd level skill though it may be too powerful since it trumps a master path ability. It fits in much better for an assasin type than some extra damage though. Everything I can think of that would be at all similiar still has the possibility of OOG.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well maybe something will come to use in a way that is exceptable and exciting and not combat.
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

A few of the questions that still need answers for clarification.

1: Is there a list of known languages somewhere to choose from?(Perhaps that is something to be added to the book)

5: Still not clear on whether fists and claws can be enchated as weapons can be and if they get any bonuses that may apply to a weapon. Can you use poison with claws? Crush or vorpal? Critical Strike? Confinement? Etc...
(I see the iron fist skill says you can use fists to block and has as a weapon in parentheses but that still doesn't clear up whether iron fists are always treated as weapons for combining with other skills, potions and spells. If so, do your claws or hands crumble after a battle if the spell potions says so?
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I would say that that the skill that alows you to swing magic damage can be used in conjunction with fists or claws.

But

I would say spells or potions specifically designed for weapons mean weapons. I say this mainly for the example of the crumbling weapon.

If the other GM's dissagree we will let you know but go with that for now.
Chris
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

I actually came up with the skill idea in a past assassin thread. I think it was called the The unlocking trick. It would work on doors. The assassin would sort of 'trick' the door into opening for them. It would slam close immediately afterwords. I could be used on locked chests as well, yet only to peek inside. It would snap shut before anything could be taken out.

I feel that either not enough people liked the idea to get it noticed or something else was thought to be better.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I thought that was a pretty cool idea myself...
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Chris is that all skills that don't preclude claws in some way(obviously you can't hold claws with 2 hands and they aren't headed weapons) or just enchant weapon?

I like the idea of where you're going Roi, but there has to be metaphysics to back up the mystical type effects or else you end up with all types of inconsistencies that cause confusion or countermand each other. Why does the door or chest open? Why does the time vary from long enough to get a peek but not take anything to long enough to go through a door? Why does the door slam ahut? If the door is open why can't other people go through it before the assasin or at the same time? Etc...
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Good catch. You are correct you cannot use those skills either.

What a motivation for a beast type of dicipline though :)
Chris