Mulitple Characters

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Mulitple Characters

Post by Nelkie »

Questions, If a PC has 2 characters that are part of the same guild, does the the extra character count for the total number of members in a guild. I know only 1 character can give allgence points.

Situation is Don-Mayo and Eli is played by Mr Cornish. Resources have been spent to upkeep both characters (3 food, 1 cloth, 2 shealter). ELi is part of the Guild of Hope and Eli allgence points are used to support the guild head, but Don-Mayo is part of the Guild of Light, but can not spend allgence points to support the leader, but sense Mr Cornish plays both characters during the session and resources are spent to keep both alive, can Don-Mayo be considered as a body when considering the minium number of people required for a guild to keep a certain level?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I was under the impression that plot had ruled two event ago that a player could play only one PC per event? Is that not the case?

BG
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Question

Post by Nelkie »

Good question, I'm still waiting for the written clarification on the mulitple character ruleing. If it is not in writing on an official rules release, than it is not a rule. I just reviewed all the releases and it stated nowhere how mulitple characters work.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Perhaps guild power should be level based and not member based?

Each play has only so many levels. Those levels may be concentrated into a single character, or spread across multiple characters, but the level total remains the same. So a player could have each of his characters contribute to their respective guilds.

Guild strength could be determined by the total number of levels contributed by all members. This would allow a guild to grow more powerful over time, even if the limited player base prevents actual membership from growing.

For instance: Say Atrum's Guild has three members, each of level 20, for a total of 60 committed levels. This Guild has been with Haven from the start, and has proven it's worth time and time again. It will have far more influence over the villagers, and even other, nearby villages, than a Guild with ten 4th level newcommers in it.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Aaron, that sounds like it has a high cheese potential. A group with enough allegiance points to form a higher level guild get together and realize they are a couple members short to fulfill the requirements so two pc's get together and say, "No problem, we will each make another character." In my mind, this clearly goes against the spirit of the rule. It seems to me that if only one character can give allegiance points and allegiance points is how we count membership, then only one character can be counted.

Mike
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

By the same token, if a player has his levels divided between multiple characters, then his allegiance is likewise divided between characters, as allegiance is, I think, based directly off level.

Seems all the characters run by a player ought to be able to spend allegiance. Total allegiance expenditure will be the same whether the player has one character or several (after racial modifiers are accounted for, of course).
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

I See

Post by Nelkie »

Mike, I see your point and understand your concerns. That is why rules need to written up to manage people with mulitple character.

Here's my idea.
Max number of characters can have at any given time: 2
To use allgence points and be counted as a member of a guild or house the character must be played during the event.
The levels gained from experience must be split equal between both characters.
Must play one charcter for 12 hours at a time. (aka, character one in game for 12 hrs, charcter 2 is in game for 12 hr's, etc)
While one charcter is in game the other charcter can not be found or interacted with.
Note: Skills that require ingame time to use (alchemy can only be used when the character is in game) an alchimist would only have 12 hrs to make potions, instead a single player alchimist who would have about 42 hours to make potions.
In between event time must be split equal between both characters. This prevents a person from having 1 charcter that makes weapons and stuff inbetween sessions for their other character to use.

What do people think? simple, but keeps the cheese factor down.
A guild still could have 3 players in it, but they will have to switch back and forth between charcters and they will miss out on in game oppurnties.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

The way it works now, (sort of).

Max # of Characters = 2

Changing Characters requires OOG time, same as disguise.

Gained lvls from EXP is split between Characters as played. (i.e. if you played 1 character for 1/4 of the time, give him 1/4 of the lvls. This is on the honor system, I'm not going to police every Character sheet looking for people who only spent 22 hrs in game as Ch1, instead of a full 24.)

Production skills must be done IG, therefor if your not in game.. no production. Easy.

While one charcter is in game the other charcter can not be found or interacted with.

Every Character has/gets Allegance. You cannot have two Characters giving points to the same organization, nor do they count for membership. Ch1 & Ch2 cannot both give points to one Guild. they could belong to different Guilds, but once the Guilds created a House, the points from one Character would no longer apply. (you cannot have two Characters giving points to the same organization) To spend points each Character must have made an appearance IG during the event. Between events is handled on a case-by-case basis.

Like I said, this is how I have it outlined now.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Asome

Post by Nelkie »

Todd,

That rocks! Works for me. Will your outline be in the new rule book? I do have 1 question? Is smithing (Craftsman) suppose to be done inbetween session or ingame?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

From the times I'm assuming it's IG now.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Yes we will put it in the rule book, but there is one problem with all of this and this is brewing potions. I mean since brewing potions actually has a brew time it just seems hard to follow jumping between characters.

Oh and when we say it works like disuise that means you get to wear a neat little band, and it takes an hour to switch characters.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

Todd --

Might I also suggest that the two characters can not only be in the same guild, but they cannot belong to the same house. While you did say "one organization" I think your wording might be a little too loose.

And to avoid cheese factors, I'd also suggest (I stole it from Brian) that there is only one switch per event.

Tonia
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I thought the 'House' part was implied, but maybe we can clean up the wording a bit. I dont think I care if people switch over and over, if there happy popping in and out of game. Since we have the issue about how to solve the potion problems, maybe one switch is an easy solve.

What does everyone else think?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Kinda think the points not applying is silly if it's towards the same 'organization'. In the long run it just gets dumb, and the supporting player must know how the person they are supporting is using their points. This is in direct opposition to how the allegience system is supposed to work. Basically, how am I as a player supposed to know how both my guild leaders are spending their allegience? If both support the same house head then 'someone' needs to recalculate the allegience spent since suddenly not all of my points count. If the heads were bueracrats this gets even more complex and is ultimately a waste of a lot of time.

Keep it simple, you cannot have two characters as part of the same guild. Beyond that you can't control the expenditures.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Potions

Post by Nelkie »

The potion problemis easy. The charcter still needs to be around when a potion is brewing, (need to stir it so it dosen't burn, take it off the heat so it doesn't over cook, etc). So if a charctrer starts a potion and is not their when the brew time is finished than potion is scrapped. So if I want to make a cure light wounds potion, I would have to be ingame for 6hr and 15 minutes. After that one can switch characters. Simple and balanced.

I never had my question answered, Can a craftsman only make items during the session or can they still make items inbetween evetns?
My Thoughts

Aaron