Alchemy Components

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Alchemy Components

Post by Tonia Glowski »

I have no idea where the concept of time to collect herbs came from. We got rid of that in a version of alchemy a long time ago. In fact, it was in January of 2003. If you look at the book that is posted on the webpage, it has the new version of alchemy. There is no mention of time to collect herbs except the "Ingredient Time" which is defined as "How long it takes to gather and/or prepare any special ingredients.". There are also no alchemy changes listed in any of the rules updates.
We started playing in September 2003 and the rule about collecting components over time is in the rulebook document sent to me by Chris in late summer 2003, as well as in the hard copy rulebook given to me at the October event (possibly by Todd?).

Furthermore, this was concept was enforced in game by Chris or Mike (sorry, can't remember) when Grok was looking for a common components in game during the dragon event.

I also turned in my IBE stuff with the fact that Grok was looking for components (all common) for potions, I know both Chris and Todd looked it over, why wasn't I told then?

Finally, why flood the market with common and uncommon components? This dramatically reduces their value, when they could be used as a currency... especially in a post apocalyptic world where the terrain has been laid to waste... what gives?
Tonia Brown
aka: Talanalassë Isilisurë the Elven Artificer (Final Haven)
Jade the Gargoyle (Final Haven)
Pasha the Sylvani Seer (Winter Haven)
Grok the Orc Head (A Pouch)
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Alchemy

Post by Nelkie »

You have the same questions and concerns when I first started with alchemy.

At first alchemy was done inbetween events, and you could make as many potions as there was time. 900 working hours inbetween event (unofficial). Each potion had a time limit to collect hebs, mix, brew.
The NPC's killed that Idea when I walked into the next event with 80+ cure light wounds for the Guild.

After that it was determined the making of alchemy potions was only done during the game session. As you know each potion consits of certain time it takes to collect herbs (Great roleplaying if you go out for 5-10 minutes it takes to collect them), a mix time, and a brew time. The alchimst does not need to be around for the brew time, only for the herb collecting and mixing. You only can make a number of level potions up to your alchemy level at one time. This includes brewing time.

Example: I'm 4th alchimist so I can create 4 level 1 heal potions or 2 level 2 awaken potions, etc.. The total level of potions * the number of potions can not be greater than you alchemy level. You can not start a new potion until the brew time is completed of the current brewing potion. The current in game time allowed to make potions is about 43 hours.

If alchimist can collect herbs inbetween event than I'm there. It will save time during the event and maybe (depends on what potions are being made) allow 1 additional potion to be created.

So collecting herbs is only a minor time save to an alchimist, expect for the components that must be quested for.

This is how alchemy was explained to me, please let me know if this is wrong, and if so, what are the new rules an alchmist is suppose to follow.

Arthos, the orginizer
My Thoughts

Aaron
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Aaron- Good explination

Tonia- I dont know why you were given those alchemy rules and why it was not explained to you. I cannot speak for any of the other GMs nor was I at the game sessions where it was enforced. If you want to PM me maybe we can work something out to replace the time you spent between events collecting herbs (Maybe the time can be converted to potion research time)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Finally, why flood the market with common and uncommon components? This dramatically reduces their value, when they could be used as a currency... especially in a post apocalyptic world where the terrain has been laid to waste... what gives?
Because we dont want to micro-manage alchemy. Been there, Done that, have the broken system to prove it. As for it reducing the value, How so? If an herb can only be used by an alchemist and all alchemists can gather herbs then what value does an herb really have to a non-alchemist?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by The Jackal »

... then what value does an herb really have to a non-alchemist?
E-Dogg you wanna handle that one?

~Yesssss, Cuban B!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

When you look at the low number of potions you can make at any given time and the fact you could gather herbs quickly when needed, there really wasn't much reason to keep herb gathering around except for rare herbs. We kept the concept of rare herbs and made them a plot item instead of attaching a set time to gather.

If we kept the gathering time and handed out common and uncommon hebs as plot, the only value they would have to a non alchemist is if they could find an alchemist who needed that exact herb at that exact time to complete a potion. This is highly unlikely seeing most alchemists have few potion recipes so they stock up on the herbs needed to create the potion. In short, too much hassle to tag common items needed by only one discipline.
E-Dogg you wanna handle that one?
We dont make them kinda herbs at FH...atleast not officially :)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

REHE!
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

DO the herbs/components have an expiration date? do they "go bad"?

BG
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Well, if corn can go bad, I wouldn't put it past the herbs...
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

The reason I ask is that if they do go bad, then a competent alchemist will have to keep restocking every so often wether he/she uses the herbs or not, to ensure that they are on hand when they are needed. This means that unless he has no life and can spend all his time looking for herbs, he will look for other sources to aquire them. This means he might buy or trade for them, giving them a comercial vale by default, no matter how small that value might be.

In a post apocalyptic world, ANY AND EVERYTHING used for daily susvival has a trade value. IF the components are released in a manner that makes them less commom than "free to a good home" trhey will become part of the new and growing currency/commodaty system. Wether a PC can make alchemy or not, if herbs are even a little hard to come by A smart PC can use them for trading.

BG

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Simple is good. Collect herbs, use herbs... Seriously doubt the game will suffer by not having a herb economy.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Eric,

Post by Nelkie »

HaHa, very funny, when the corn goes, bad. I'm having flash backs of 1 vorpal corn and a stubborn corn stock that took me 20 throws to hit and destroy.
My Thoughts

Aaron
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Only time I've ever seen where "can't hit the broad side of a barn" is truly appropriate. An elf that can't hit a corn field with a boom...
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Yeah, that was a dark day for elves everywhere. Too bad that corn's genitals had to pay the price for Arthos's wrath.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Didnt say the game would suffer, I was making a counter point to Wanyes comment about herbs only being valuable to Alchemists. The big bicture may just be such that it would not hurt the game if they had no value. It would definately add another aspect of realism, wouldnt add much in the way of complexity, and would add some flavor if they did have a value. I do not think either is a superior path to take for the plotlings.

BG