Donation System?

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Donation System?

Post by The Jackal »

Brian said :
"get plot team off it's ass and make up an award system for donations and have the players donate the costuming and make up you need to do full or semi full costuming for NPCs!!!"
What kind of reward system would this entail?

Rewards in "monetary" in-game resources?

Or more of a hypothetical point scheme whereas a set number of accrued points would be equivalent to use in character development?

Or call them "Boon Points" and make random cool effects when a certain amount of said points is reached the character recieves a cool boon for a time. Of course there would have to be an in-game reason for this...

I think Brian is on to something. If Final Haven can tap into the sub-concious drive for "stuff"/character advancement that dwells within every PC they can more than likely increase props/costuming ect. at a drastic rate.

Comments?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I have to say that I don't agree with giving any IG advantage because you donate some old clothes or $$ to the game. If you do stuff like that do it because you want to help the game grow into a better game. I don't ask for or expect anything for buying the bar\inn stuff, I just like having a bar IG to go to for a drink and to congregate. Ried doesn't ask for any special IG bonus even though he offers to pay for newbies. CARPS is looking at doing some fundraisers this year to help pay Sam off for the trailer, if $$ is needed then I suggest doing something like that.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

I think it's fairly safe to say that neither Brian nor I are a big fan of in game advantages based on an out of game mechanics. There are, however, times when Plot simply needs the help of the populace and needs an incentive program. If you keep the "in game rewards" to a strict minimum and make them attainable in alternate ways, this makes it more fair in general to all.

Most of the things we've seen as rewards for "Stuff Points," "Goblin Blankets" or "Capital Points" (as we have seen in at least three different systems), include the following:

http://www.shiftedlands.com/support/Rul ... Points.htm

http://www.bigkidhobby.com/PHB2003.v.02.doc
"Capital Points: A representation of time, contributions and items donated or submitted to the Edam LARP system. Capital Points can be used for a variety of things, including paying for events and purchasing "Training" for their PCs."

http://www.neromemphis.com/goblin.htm
Tonia Brown
aka: Talanalassë Isilisurë the Elven Artificer (Final Haven)
Jade the Gargoyle (Final Haven)
Pasha the Sylvani Seer (Winter Haven)
Grok the Orc Head (A Pouch)
The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by The Jackal »

The only problem I can see is that in a "soft cap" game such as Final Haven, offering points for stuff may not be the most inciting proposition.

"For the good of the game" will not get you as far as positive reinforcement of wanted behavior. In other words the game quality will increase more if a tangible reward is offered.

Offering in-game rewards may be a bit off the mark but it's just an idear.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

These stuff points are not skill points.

In most systems there points are turned in for a multitude of things at rates that vary according to the item you are trying to attain. In some systems there are ways to turn them in for skill/build/developement points, but what you can turn the points in for is up to the plot team that designs the system.

I also dont see an issue with a player/PC getting an finished alchemy, iron rescource, metal sheild, suit of armor, etc. ... as long as the plot team has made the value to get such fair. If they say "free one shit magic item for 25 "Nicholson" points, and to get 25 you have to NPC 3 full events, I think that is more than fair since the player looses 3 of the 4 events out of the year and potenital access to any loot/rescources/alliances/information that comes into those events.

Let's not all start worrying about who gets what advantage in game because of this. If you dont want to be left behind, then voluntere or donate. That is what the system is suposed to do, REWARD those that do help plot build a better game.

And remember, the plot team hasent even mentioned they are even considering this, so getting all frenzied (not that anyone has yet) is premature still.

BG
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Honestly, I don't like the idea of rewards, mainly due to the fact the it existed in CARPS, and I raped the system to it's fullest extent. It wasn't pretty, and it was summarily killed.

Giving is it's own reward... or so I'm told.
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

Or you could use something you claim not to have:

RESTRAINT

Don't rape the system. You know when you're doing it, so stop it.
Tonia Brown
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

If people are silly enough to do dumb things, I don't have any issues taking advantage of it. I'll tell them what I'm doing and how to fix it, yet if nothing is done I see no reason not to go ahead with it. As such, all my car parts have been half off (not my problem someone can't read a website)...
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

I have a problem with people who consistently abuse a system or take advantage of mistakes.

It's called the golden rule.

Sometimes a growing system needs the patience and good nature of its constituents to develop successfully. Raping a system is not included in the things a system needs. If you really care for the success of Final Haven and for the hard work of those that run it, you will respect those growing pains.

This past gather I could have collected over 400 components for alchemy. Guess what? I didn't. I told Todd that was just "sick and wrong" and he agreed. I told him what I felt was reasonable and we decided that if at a later time we both felt I should have collected all 400, I'd get the other 320 that I didn't collect on.

Restraint. It's a good thing...

p.s. I've got no problem with you Reid, only what you're suggesting in this thread.
Tonia Brown
Azara Blackhawk

Post by Azara Blackhawk »

Not everyone lives by the "golden rule" system.

Some people if you give them in inch, like free character points for donating items, or something like that they will take this to the max and eventually down the road, break the system.

Unfortunately it is the nature of the power-game role playing beastie.

I have a few ideas for this donation idea, but to be honest FH doesn't quite have the player base for said idea.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

You can't really fault someone for getting the fullest out of the rules as long as they point out the break to NPC camp. If NPC camp doesn't see it as a problem then as long as you are within the rules I don't see anything wrong with using the rules to your benefit. I don't do it but I can't fault anyone that does.

Tonia, with your example you could collect all those components but you still could only make so many potions per event. The components wouldn't bring too much in trade either I would think since any alchemist can collect common components.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

I'm not talking about a difference in agreement about how beneficial something is between a player and monster camp.

I'm talking about a "yeah-it's-broken-but-we're-not-really-sure-how-to-fix-it" situation.

As far as my example, you assume you know all of the details and sort of miss the point. It was just an example of demonstrating the ability to say, "that's way overpowered and I'm not going to do it..."
Tonia Brown
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Tonia Glowski wrote:I'm not talking about a difference in agreement about how beneficial something is between a player and monster camp.

I'm talking about a "yeah-it's-broken-but-we're-not-really-sure-how-to-fix-it" situation.
I would say that if you bring it to NPC camp and they know it's broken then they should either work to find a fix, like the rules discussions on this site or remove it. If you bring it to NPC camp and they say "yeah-it's-broken-but-we're-not-really-sure-how-to-fix-it so we are just going to leave it alone. Then you have every right to use the rules to their fullest.
As far as my example, you assume you know all of the details and sort of miss the point. It was just an example of demonstrating the ability to say, "that's way overpowered and I'm not going to do it..."
I'm not assuming to know all the details, all I'm saying is that they do have a system in place to keep the collected components from being exploited no matter how much you may have on hand. To further your example, you have pointed it out and now (after some deliberation time)they either change it or leave it, if they leave it then there's no reason not to use the rule. I do get your point but everyone doesn't think like that, and I just don't expect everyone to have the same outlook on it as I do.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Tonia Glowski wrote:This past gather I could have collected over 400 components for alchemy....... .
Just a little alchemy FYI. We got rid of the idea of collecting components. As per the rulebook posted on the FH site "An alchemist is considered to have dried herbs on hand but should role-play collecting them when they have the opportunity. Rare herbs must be found in-game."

The ingredient time listed on a potion recipe is time it takes to gather or prepare ingredients at the time the potion is created. You cannot "Pre-Gather" these ingredients to reduce the mixing time unless permited to do so by a magic item and/or a rare herb.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

Wayne --

This is news to at least two of your Plot people and to me... and it was over the "winter break..."

If that's the case, my character would have been doing a whole hell of a lot more in the past six months than sniffing weeds.

Eric --

I don't EXPECT people to look at things the way I do, I only HOPE that we could trust all of the players.
Tonia Brown