Alternatives to the Orange Headband

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Should the "Headband" be replaced?

Yes, it is an inadequate system of identification
70%
No, I am fine with the detraction from immersion
20%
Neutral, I just want my points and think we need more tables
10%

Total votes: 10
The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Alternatives to the Orange Headband

Post by The Jackal »

I lied I decided to click a few extra times today.

I currently will not pose an opinion due to lack of time, but someone get the ball rolling.

:P

*note the poll is a little skewed take it with a grain of salt and smile

PLEASE IF YOU VOTE FOR CHANGE POST AN OPTION
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I'm actually fine with the orange headbands, given any alternative is likely to be more expensive. Still, a compromise between extensive (and expensive) costuming and no costuming might be reached - such as the colored tabards. While the tabards wouldn't tell us EXACTLY what the NPC represents, they'll provide a general idea. But they're also still fairly cheap and quick to don.

CARPS is moving this way, and has asked for players to volunteer tabards to the game.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The biggest frustration I have as a GM is when I take the time to costume a NPC and the first words out of a PC's mouth is "What do I see?". I like the tabbard idea but it is completely useless after dark. Orange headbands arent that great after dark either. I was toying with the idea of different colored glowsticks for night time. I dont think there really is a good solution other than to try and represent as many of the creatures as we can with consistant costuming.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I think the tabbards are a minimum of what we should do, and yes its not perfect, but its a start. Like someone said, CARPs is moving this direction as well, and I've spoken with Roy about coinciding the color=race thing so as to minimise confussion. I'll post the color sceme when I get it. Tabbards are semi-inexpensive. I think as a first step this is a good one, but we should set up a 'grand plan' with steps.
Maybe,
step 1) tabbards
step 2) tabbards & glowsticks
step 3) tabbards & make-up
step 4) make-up & light costume
step 5) full constuming

just a thought.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Just to nip the argument of "it's too costly" in the bud i'll say this in Todd style:

"get plot team off it's ass and make up an award system for donations and have the players donate the costuming and make up you need to do full or semi full costuming for NPCs!!!"

Man talking like Todd hurts my throat and typing finger(yes I said finger as in singular).

Full costuuming solves the what do I see issue, except when costuming cant phys rep something(which I have yet to see/hear as the case), and it adds to the total imersion of the PCs and reduces occurences of slipping into OOG mode/chatter.

Nuff said

BG
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

By and large I'm with Todd on this one. Headbands for a quick fix, but plan on working in less anachronistic methods of identification.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

I've already spoken with Chris (and maybe Todd) on this one:

We are offering up all of our props and costuming to Final Haven, as I have shut down Edam. I've already arranged with Chris for us to bring our steam trunk full to each event, so as to have it at their disposal, then we'll store it at our house (so no one gets stuck storing shit).

We also have a huge case of make-up.

Finally, I'm making up a few quick props for Plot so that they can represent (at a minimum) the PC races, including masquerade masks with feathers to represent the Aviana.

This stuff, while it can cost a cumulative larger sum, is easy to do and that burden is infinitely smaller when you look to the player populace to help...
Tonia Brown
aka: Talanalassë Isilisurë the Elven Artificer (Final Haven)
Jade the Gargoyle (Final Haven)
Pasha the Sylvani Seer (Winter Haven)
Grok the Orc Head (A Pouch)
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

You know I have been checking to see when the events would be, well I'm glad that you guys are playing FH.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Problem

Post by Nelkie »

I do not like the orange head bands becasue it is hard to see. I preferr sashes across the chest. The tabard is a great idea, but someone will have to make them.

Here's my idea
Use 2 sash's crossed on the NPC's chest. This means you can ask "what do I see" The NPC can keep the sashs in their pockets, and pull them out when playing a monster, etc.. If an NPC does not have sash's DO NOT ASK THE QUESTION.
Another thing that will help, if more of the NPC's roleplayed the monsters. My hats off to Brad Liedel for playing a wonderful cyrstal dog. Everyone wanted to kill him becasue he would stop barking. To me this adds alot to my roleplaying experience. Use sound effects, if you are a bear growel, if a wold, howel, etc.. If you are an undead, shamble, make squish sounds and say "I'm a zombie". I have seen it in the past when an NPC is playing a Gaint and they sneak up to the campfire and start attacking. I'm sorry, how does a 20ft giant sneak throught he woods, and up to a campfire with out being noticed.
My Thoughts

Aaron