Mimic

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

Mimic

Post by Zydana »

On the way home, the question was brought up if it was possible to mimic a hidden disipline.

I'd assume, if yes, you'd have to find the person with the disipline and spend the time role playing learning it from that person to mimic it. I suppose that person would also have to be willing to share that information with you.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

GOOD QUESTION!

You would need a tag or something with the skill explaination written on it.

I have noticed something very crucial and that it we all need to read the book, notes, spells, and potions and not simply ask or rely on memory because it can become really really wrong.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

so was that a yes we can?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

It was a yesssssssss unless another GM jumps on and tells me this needs discussed.
Chris
Trevor Owen
GM

as chris said

Post by Trevor Owen »

you will need a tag with the skill, description, and where you got it from to mimic.
Master of witless lore and red herrings
Zydana
GM

Re: as chris said

Post by Zydana »

I feel like I might get shot for asking this one.

Mimic
With this skill the Sage may mimic ANY first level Discipline or Path except for wilderness survival, Alchemy, and Arcane. It takes a half an hour to receive the skill, but the skill lasts until you mimic a different skill. Any armor restriction of the mimicked skill does apply.

As ANY is in all caps and sage skills are not on the exception list...

Basic Sage skill

Read/write
This skill allows you to read\write 2
languages.

Master Sage skill

Decipher Script
A Sage may know any language by spending 1 hour on the words. Once deciphered the Sage would need to write the translation on another piece of paper OR the Sage will need to decipher it again the next time the words wish to be read.

Why would a sage spend an hour to know one language for a few minutes when they can learn two languages in a half hour and know it for as long as they have it mimiced??

Is there a difference in the two? I mean, do you have to be able to reconize the language you want to be able to read/write and the Decipher script lets you read an unknown language?
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

Written in Fremen:

Gal et tal vu kon jet jal!!

Unfortunately for you, there is nooone in the Haven who knows Fremen. Fortunately for you, you can decipher the script! :-) I certainly wouldn't mind seeing decipher script changed to like 15 or 30 minutes per page though instead of 1 hour for all of it.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Yeah, for those that missed Brad's point, mimicing read/write would mimic that sage's read/write which would be the two languages he/she chose. So unless they have the exact language you need (in which case you wouldn't need to mimic the skill normally) you'd still need the decipher text.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

Mimic
With this skill the Sage may mimic ANY first level Discipline or Path except for wilderness survival, Alchemy, and Arcane. It takes a half an hour to receive the skill, but the skill lasts until you mimic a different skill. Any armor restriction of the mimicked skill does apply.

Where does it say anywhere in the skill description that you actually need to have another person who possess the skill in order to mimic it?

I know it used to say that in last years rules, but in the current description of the skill it does not say that you need to have someone who knows whatever skill you want to mimic. I interpreted this as one of the changes to sage.

So under my interpretation. You could mimic read/write and gain ANY 2 languages you needed in half the time that it takes to decipher script.

However, decipher script I look at more as a encrpytion/decryption skill. Things that are written in a code or are encrypted are not a language and that is where I see decipher script being important.

Although a GM clarification would be most appreciated.
Evan
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Evan is correct that a person is not needed to watch anymore.

As for hidden disciplines though you would need a tag with the description and thus would have to get that from a palyer.

As for the decipher script thing..good catch will think on that

Chris
Chris
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I just assumed for role playing purposes, that you'd find the skill from someone (or maybe a book) and learn it, rather than pulling the skill out of a hat. Also, if you have mimiced the skill before, perhaps you are remembering how to do it and don't have to find a source to learn it.

Just trying to look at it from a roleplaying perspective.

As for mimicing read/write to learn a language, it seems as though you'd have to reconize the language as some sort of language first. "I think that might be written in Kobald/goblin/dragon/dark elf/dwarf/fey/whatever" and then you spend the half hour learning whatever language(s)

As for decipher script, I would think that the language be completely unknown.

Those were just my inital thoughts.

I really like Alandark's take on it though.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Very good of you to RP the skill out! That is how all should be played.

I would love to see a sage that had a ton of old books and when problems came up they looked through their books (minic) to figure out what to do.
Chris
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

That's how I do my recall ability. I have a book (I hope to eventually have a whole library to bring) and I study from it. Or if possible, I directly study the object in question (a map, a corpse, a wall, whatever).

sorry, that's a lil off subject
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

That is a good point on the unknown language thing. You couldn't be like "I am mimicing read/write of that language on the wall". However you could use the hint skill or whatever it is to get the language and the mimic it. Granted, it's 45 minutes versus 60 so a simple adjustment to decipher to be 15-30 minutes would make it more desired when trying to get small amounts of text.

Of course, if you were traveling into a different land and the language was unknown, getting the hint and mimicing would be more useful as you'd have to do it multiple times more than likely.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Form the description though it sounds like once you've spent that hour you can add that language to the ones you know as long as you've written down the translation key and keep it. That way you wouldn't have to spend the time to mimic\read\write again the next time you came across it.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~