Druid Discussion and Balance of Value...

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

The logistic nightmare had actually been pretty much worked out. Aaron's last post on what the skill would give was pretty balanced. The druid has always in mythology and RPG been a nature and animal person. In D&D they get the ability to change into multiple animals if you take the right stuff. Not that we need to look at D&D for every archetype, but even without that, the mythology and the actual people that were called Druids worked to bring themselves closer to all of nature including the animals within in.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

an small FYI for everyone....

The word TOTEM by definition IS an animal..real or mythical. I AM NOT saying that because you used that word you have to make it an animal, this is just intended as a bit of informative trivia!!!!!!

Also, since the wilderness survival provides food and lowers dangerous encounters, IT DOES relate to animals. It shows a knowledge of animals so as to track them for food or avoid any danger they pose. AND yes I know the food thing could be just berries and roots, but lets not get silly here. The skill implies interaction with animalsbecause of what it allows the possessor to do.

With the view that I have heard from the plot team several times about how the skills are effects with names that are simply functional labels rather than actual mechanical descriptions, even root COULD be seen as having plants AND/OR animals hold the target.
Ever been in a head lock given by a skunk or a porcupine...it aint pretty I assure you!

BG
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Actually totem is:

a. An animal, plant, or natural object serving among certain tribal or traditional peoples as the emblem of a clan or family and sometimes revered as its founder, ancestor, or guardian.
b. A representation of such an object.
c. A social group having a common affiliation to such an object.

A venerated emblem or symbol: “grew up with the totems and taboos typical of an Irish Catholic kid in Boston” (Connie Paige).

So technically we could be emulating a statue of a tree?!? :shock:

"Form of, cheap trinket!"
Azara Blackhawk

Post by Azara Blackhawk »

Logistical nightmere as in trying to establish what animal does what and then having the PCs pick their animal. It needs to be one univeral type of thing and not 19,000 other things to keep it all balanced. The druid 4th level skill should be one universal type of thing much like the 4th level ability of a Scout, Knight, Witch-Hunter, Pikeman, Archer, etc.

Not to get on the topic or debate of wilderness survival, but to me it relates knowing nature enough in how to live in it. Not for any particular animal-type of reason for then you could be saying the same thing about a Scout.

You go from that to not being able to be pinned by the "root spell"

To then being able to cast magical root.

Seems to me the natural progression is something NATURE and not animal related.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

OK...Ok...now you did it...

I HATE getting pulled into these discussions over rules because I feel in spite of what anyone says, we are ALL intellectual snobs (or we wouldnt be RPing) and these ping pong discussions ALWAYS sem to leave some bad blood, even if its never stated openly. Its the nature of the beast.

However I have already weakly made comment so I might as well state the suggestion I made to the plot team here and you pit bulls can number crunch, and power smash it at your lesiure....

Here goes...

I think the skills the druid gets shold be based on a plotline. The details of that plot line are in the hands of the plot team and will stay there, but ill try to put here what I can.

there are a finite set of totem animals. Each druid is either chosen by his totem, or the the totem of the druid teaching the skill SI the totem the student gets(that part is a plot team decision). When the student gets the level 4 druid skill, he aquires the ability to become his totem. All totems have the following:

Wilderness lore
No movement restriction
an attack form based on thier animal
no hands(excepy MAYBEE for racoons)
cannot speak
cannot use tools/items
cannot wear armor/items
BECOME A PLOT CHEW TOY BECAUSE OF THE PLOT LINE!!!
skill restristion based on physical limitations (no alchemy, no archery, no craftsman, but I can see rage and backstab working once the PC has aclimated to the animal form. Maybee restrict them from using those skills for the remainder of the event they gain emulate, and the following event)

When shifted they would have 4 skills that replace the 4 they got uder druid, and the new skills are based on the anilmal form, the function the animal serves, and one other criteria that is related to the plot. For example, I will list the skills for wolf and owl but leave the others for the plot team to decide on how public they want the number of different animals available and powers to be should they decide to use any of this.

WOLF:
attack form: longsword bite(30 inch long claw)

skill 1: taunt
skill 2: trip
skill 3: battle cry
skill 4: disarm

OWL:
attack form: 2 claws(18 inch claws)

skill 1: flee
skill 2: ranged block
skill 3: exploit weakness
skill 4: basic research

Now these skils may or may not be the ones I submited, honestly Todd has the list and I dont recall exactaly. However they are close, and designed to show the basic premise of my idea. the animals would have skills set in stone, and there would be a finite list of animals.

...there is also room for bad druids this way as well as good natured ones(pun intended)

BG

The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by The Jackal »

Logistical nightmere as in trying to establish what animal does what and then having the PCs pick their animal.
Trying to outline every animal for use in a LARP system would be absolutly rekokulous!

Have the pc pick their damn animal based on roleplaying and affection towards animal. Let GM's assign skills and powers, it is their job. People/Druids shouldn't choose thier animal based on cool combos and power.

This is one of the ever growing list of "things that do not need to be finicky picked to hell!" Let the gm's worry about this one, on a case by case scenario.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Thanks for the post Brian. I didnt make anything public, so as to not tip your hand so to speak. I had planned on giving the GM's the list to look over at the next meeting, but maybe the mechs could be listed.
Its up to Wayne. Do you want em public, or quiet like?
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

If your last question was to me, I do NOT think the powers shuld be public knowledge, even for the research skills.

BG

Azara Blackhawk

Post by Azara Blackhawk »

My question is now, are the rest of the suggestions going to be ignored for their opinions differed from yours Todd? There are who had some pretty interesting ideas. People gave vaild points, mechanics, and the like and it just does not appear to be fair if all sides of the discussion are not viewed.

If this question is a tad out of line, then I am sorry, but that is the impression that I'm seeing.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Ok, I was hessitating to reply at all to this but I would like to explain something. I thanked Brian, because he thought that his idea should be kept quiet as he saw it as 'plot' stuff that should not be public domain. Reviewed by GMs only. It was a tough choice (I'm sure) for him to post what he thought should be kept quiet.
As far as suggestions being ignored, I'd like to point out that technically every time someone makes a suggestion for a new skill, and/or ability, they are ignoring the fact that I said it didnt need to be changed. Or does it not aply when it goes the other direction? Each person has there own ideas. In the end the entire GM staff will decide which direction the skill/discipline will go. In all likelyhood it will be changed, and I wont like it as much as I like it now. *shrugs* Oh well. Thats what happens when things are run be commitie, instead of one person calling the shots. No opinion is more, or less, valid. Some are just liked more than others.
Until the final disission is made I maintain that we dont need the extra hoopla. I think I will probly maintain that view right up thru a disission, but I have refrained from sounding like a broken record, repeating it everytime someone makes a new post.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

You mean my idea isnt the only valid one.....?

blink

blink

stares off into space blankly.............

how can that be?!?!

:twisted: :twisted:

BG