Resists

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Resists

Post by dier_cire »

Ok, since it was brought up, if a resist is called, does it resist the entire effect or just take off that part of the call?

ie 8 magic vorpal posion. Would a resist poison just resist the poison or the whole effect?
30 magic. Would a resist magic just take off the magic or resist the whole effect?

Parry (pseudo resist) already can block additional effects if they follow a number, and currently so can resist magic, I don't see why certain resists would act one way and others would act another...

If they become only the effect, it changes an entire dynamic of the game, and would require some serious rebalancing. And breaking it up into this resist does this and this does that isn't a real option as no one should be responsible for remembering that kind of complexity.

I'd leave it as a resist is a resist. It completely nullifes the whole call. There is no confusion, single calls are great (keeping combat simple), multi calls are nice if they make it through. And ultimately, who's to say how a resist is done in game? Couldn't it be that you happen to evade arrows occasionally (but it just so happens that they are the poison ones)?
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

As a dwarf it was explained to me that the Poison resist works the way it does because it is an effect delivered via a weapon. IE the knife coated in poison still stabs you.

I argued until my teeth turned blue that it is the ONLY resist that doesn't work the same way. I would love to see them work the same.
Travis Cole
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Yep, K.I.S.S differing effects for differing resists adds unnecesary complication.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Yeah but posion is special since it only effects you if it hits your life points. Should a dwarf wearing 15 armor resist a 5 posion attack when the posion never would have effected them in the first place.

As it stands now, or atleast how I play it posion resists the effect and magic resists the damage.

Part of me would rather introduce a dibilitating effect for magic and treat magic just like possion in that you take the damage, but not the debilitating effect.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

that would make magic suddenly VERY POWERFUL. not that it shouldn't be, but it would be inordinantly so. witch hunters become less than mild annoyances to a 30 damage attack.
Travis Cole
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

No Chris, the dwarf would take the damage off of his CR and then armor until it hit his life then he'd have the choice of resisting it or not. You don't HAVE to use a resist just because you are hit with something you CAN resist. Remember that there are other effects that have the call poison attatched to them too.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I probably wouldn't resist a 5 magic, but I would resist a 30. If some was hitting me for 2 magic, I wouldn't resist until life. If someone is whacking me with 2 poison, I'm not going to resist unless it's life points. If someone threw a 15 poison at me, I'd resist it whether I was in life or not.

I don't see how they are different except that posion has an added effect if it hits you. If someone is calling damage on me, I'll react the same assuming I have the resist.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

If you can resist part of the call, you resist the entire effect. The only exception is poison. Why, because poison is a secondary effect delivered by a weapon that requires damage to be done to life points in order to take effect. The poison does no damage, it only has the effect of ceasing the use of skills. In the case of Magic, it is actually the magic doing the damage. It may sound confusing but it is the only exception so should not be hard to remeber. In any case, the only ones who need to know that are the dwarves and assasins. It does need to be made clear in the book though
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I have always played it that I still take the damage after resisting the poison. And I understand it from a realism point of view. However, the idea seems to be keep the rules as simple as possible, and in that case resist poison should resist the damage as well.

This would amp up resist poison, but with poison currently being a 2nd lvl ability that seems ok.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

then posion should just be a disease...

The fact that posion has a secondary effect is a really bad reason to nerf it's resist (it should be the reverse if anything). It's more powerful than a magic call, as the magic tag has no benefits. Plus, what happens when we get a monster swinging "2 sleep" or "1 fear" or the player swinging "2 magic" at a witch hunter with no weapon?

Would the fact that they are getting hit mean they still take the damage?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

2 sleep? EEK, i don't even know how that call would work.

does enchant weapon mean the weapon is doing the damage or is it the magic? AHHHHH. Head hurting. I'm okay with poison now, as long as it is spelled out a little more clear.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I agree with you Eric I was just pointing out the difference between magic and posion.

I just always had an issue with getting hit by a a person swinging 10 magic with an enchanted clug and because the call is magic you can resist it. It is as if the magic turned a giant club into a pillow.

On the other hand if you are hit with a spell you should be able to resist it.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

So how does the magic resist work for things that don't target you? For instance the pushing to the ground thing, to me it seems that you would be able to resist it since it's magic pushing you down to the ground and you'd be able to no movement hinderance it because it's basically a pin. I can see the reason behind poison being different but then like Travis said why do you resist the entire thing when you are hit with a weapon dealing magic? Does the weapon stop cutting you and the magic do the damage? And I think Ried has a good point, the resist can be a dodge too.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

resists

Post by General Maximus »

It is all in the rolepalying. A resist can be a dodge, a shield, the skin is thoug as nails, etc... So the magic weapon would bounce off harmlessly. It's all in how it is roleplayed. The same can be said about resist posion

As for area effects, if it magic is in the call, than it can be resisted. If not, it can not be. Think of the non magic effect as the magic cuase the ground to slippery or the roots to tangle about your legs. But it is the actual non magical roots or the slippery groud that causes you to fall. Indirect magic effects those who are resisant to it. Direct magic can be resisted. Thats the difference.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I am ok with resists negating the entire call to just keep it simple. As for arcane spells and resist magic, unless otherwise stated in the description called out by the arcane, effects can only be resisted by resist magic if they have the word "Magic" in the call.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!