Resist Calls

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

cole45 wrote:let's use matt's example. You sleep a guard. The Guard resists but pretends to be dead. What do you do? You hit him a few times while he's down. that what you do. War is about deception. (not cheating. Deception is not cheating.)
note, I had no issue with the sleep skill being not required. I said for simplicity make them all obvious. So kudos for choosing one I had no issue with needing no call.
cole45 wrote:No, what you want is feedback that allows you to impliment your abilities in combat tactically. I applaud this. However what we have are single calls that represent multiple read world effects. And you are argueing for the simplist rule that is IN YOUR FAVOR.
How is it in my favor when I have to do it too? Using the sleep example I could no longer resist sleep and fake it if I wanted to. Not really in my favor there.
cole45 wrote:When resists are not called it
1. Adds to the confusion of your opponents, scaring them into unnessisary action. And we know that NEVER happens in combat in the real world.
2. When your resists are called, it allows the opponent to defeat your stratagy, unrealistcally giving them information they shouldn't possess.
3. Lessens the frustration of PCs who keep trying to use tactics to outmanuver their foes.
4. Allows for a more enjoyable, tension filled game.
1. Combat should not be confusing.
2. If it's the same for both sides, it doesn't give a benefit to either side.
3. How would not knowing if a skill works lessen frustration? How can something increase confusion but decrease frustration?
4. Tension can be achieved in much easier ways than confusion.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I personaly hate confusoin and fustation, espicaly in a game I play. I preferr straight foward / simple rules. Combat is confusing enough with out adding to it. To me it takes away from the game, not add to it.

ANyway, about half of the people who play the game do it already, I'm just trying to get it so everyone does to clear up confusion, fustration, and make the game easier to play and enjoy. To me decite with resists gains one very little and only apply's to special rare stituation where it might give a person a benifit.

let's use matt's example. You sleep a guard. The Guard resists but pretends to be dead. What do you do? You hit him a few times while he's down. that what you do. War is about deception. (not cheating. Deception is not cheating.)

My comment on this if a person feins sleep, than when I about to slit their throught they will stop feining and the attack starts. How is that any different from the person saying resist and the attack starts. It is very rare for an adventure to sleep a person and not make that person dead or at least tied up.