Solo survival

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Solo survival

Post by Tullus »

As far as I know, there is nothing in the rules of this game that may allow for solo survival. Rather, the food, supply, cloth survival without the need to be in a guild of some king/powerful influential personage. My character is very interested in solo survival. I know that there have been story pushes that allow for certain outside guild-like groups. Though that isn't what Im thinking about.

I understand the need to have many people to survive in a harsh environment. Though, for those who would like to try and survive on their own without a guild to be attached, it seems almost impossible.. I don't mind working real hard to achieve this goal. I just don't want to have to take up a GMs time continuously throughout the game. Plots need to be pushed, sage questions need to be answered, and PCs need to be drained of all hope.

I can forsee much hunting of game for food and hides would be needed. As well as trading with pcs and npc townsfolk to get the essentials. My character had walked to the town before the portal back in his story. Him being all by him self and surviving; would mean that there was a possible way of doing that which didn't kill the GMs ears in general.

So in conclusion, I am asking. Is it possible to have a character survive without guild membership and how? Would one 'have' to be a merc in order for survival to be possible?
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I think Merc is deffinitly one avenue

You could get ahold of items and trade them to the guilds for things you need. In the movies you usually see the loner come out of the woods once a year to trade fur for other provisions needed. Forexample you could take of a trade like potion making and make potions for people in exchange for what you need to survive.

The problem is there is no money so for someone to give you "what you need to survive" reuieres ALOT of work instead of simply performing a simple task for a few bucks. I mean who would give a months supply of food for a 1 time service.

As for an OOG way I guess we could think about a discipline that alows for outside survival. This discipline would require 4 levels and that is all you would have so it is an option.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

As far as I can tell there are 3 possible answers here: Trade, Scavenge, or Steal.

Trade: As Chris said take a discipline that can make some thing and/or cast something and charge for it, if you did it right I could see a 1st lvl Alchemist who keeps really busy being the other half of a savage scout. You could go merc trading your fighting ability for food stuff, no political strings attached. There are several people in Haven that do this.

Scavenge: Go on ever plot possible (making sure to go on the ones that have a chance of reward before those that save the world) and be the first one in the treasure room, make sure to get your cut if your not and always carry a bag and maybe a 2' cube to carry stuff. Don't always give up the magic items found on a plot, at least not with out payment. Don't forget to check everybody with search.

Steal: It is pretty simple. Most of town knows that it happens and that people get away with it. Such is life in Haven.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

In order to "survive" on your own, it is possible now just not effective.

Savage Lifestyle (may use hide instead of cloth)
Level 2 Rogue - 60 pts (1 supplies, 1 cloth)
Level 1 Beast Hunter - 0 pts (1 food, 1 hide)
Level 1 Druid - 20 pts (1 food, 1 hide)
3 x Sage skills - 60 pts (use any resource combo for living)

This is unless I'm misreading something in the rules.

It's a total of 140 pts, or 160 if you choose a different main discipline. Not ideal but doable. Does sorta fit a hermit though. Little thiefy, little sagey, little woodsy.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

IG: Tullus approaches JoJo Mcgirk and says, "Hey...guild of Stinking toads, I see that you have trade relations with the beastmen on the other side of the mountain. That is a dangerous journey for your carts to make. I bet you could use a guard to walk with them and keep them safe....No No, I dont want to be part of your organization, I like to bathe and I know that is against your moral code. I will gladly walk patrol for you in exchange for food...Excellent...I am glad we have come to an understanding."

OOG: Tullus gives his SUPPORT points to JoJo to represent the time he spends patroling the trade route between games. JoJo gives Tullus 5 food as payment

This is a prime example of why we call them SUPPORT points now and not ALLEGIANCE points. Giving support to an organization does not necessarily mean you are a member in game.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I like Wayne's idea best
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Tullus,

Just trade bacon for food Resources!
Travis Cole
Doctor Erasmus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Doctor Erasmus »

Hmm, I worked out a similar concept last year and came to the same conclusion Wes did... trade, scavenge and steal will work nicely. I've even been experimenting with different aspects. Trading works well especially if you're only needing basic resources (food, weapon upkeep, cloth, etc), scavanging worked well when I pointed out I was not part of any Guild and therefore was on my own for survival. People at this point shared resources found in game on plots.

As for stealing, remember this... Don't get greedy. You only need 6 tags over 2 days. Take your time and unless you are absolutely postive you are alone do not take more than 1 tag at a time. So, yes it can be done, but no it probably won't be as easy as "I'm checking out, gimme resources".
"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin