Journals

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

WayneO42
GM

Journals

Post by WayneO42 »

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has submited journal entries, it is really nice to be able to have a cronical of events posted in the lore section so newbies can attempt to catch up on some of the happenings and get a real feel for the game. That being said, I would like to come up with some way to reward those who write stories and journals for the Lore page.

I was thinking it would be cool to come up with a stack of tags that the person could draw from at check in. The stack would include resource tags, weapons, armour, a few potions, scrolls, and maybe even one or two minor magic items. What do you all think? I was thinking of rewarding Levels but in a soft capped game, it doesn't really help much
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

That would be interesting. I guess I would suggest nothing too powerful....or maybe just one psuedo-powerful thing. I would be down with that.
Lost my train of thought.....
Azara Blackhawk

Post by Azara Blackhawk »

I like the idea Wanye. My only problem is what about people who do not know how to read/write. Do you want for those people to send you a PM to the Garet Meavers box?
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

yea cuz kabre is stupid and ugly and can't read good
Moo.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Yes, for those with characters who cannot read/write, anything posted would be considered a transcript of a converstion with Garet Maevers. For example, Groks excellent journals are all just stories told to Garet
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

It penalizes those without internet access.

~fin~
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

No it doesn't, grouchy :lol:

What Wayne is offering is not a penalty, but a reward, first of all.

Secondly, just because you don't have internet access doesn't mean you can't write it down or type it up and turn it in at the next event. Just announce it at the game on meeting, remind them at check out and every time you see them in the three months in between.

As for me, I don't really care what (if any) reward is given, as I enjoy the roleplaying aspect of it and I don't mind contributing to a game I love.

If you really feel like rewarding, I'd say go with what you've listed and/or award Hero Points (whatever the hell those are, I don't know, but they're in the rulebook and on the character sheet), small amounts of build instead of levels (1, 5 or 10 - you balance), guaranteed resuscitation at your next death (you don't die but stabilize) or start up some sort of capital point/goblin blanket system for any kind of donation in general with some list of rewards.

From my experience, fewer people than expected actually take up the reward system on a consistent basis, so don't panic about it unbalancing, just be mindful of what you do offer.
Tonia Brown
aka: Talanalassë Isilisurë the Elven Artificer (Final Haven)
Jade the Gargoyle (Final Haven)
Pasha the Sylvani Seer (Winter Haven)
Grok the Orc Head (A Pouch)
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Like Tonia Said, if someone does not have internet access they can turn a hardcopy of the journal or a softcopy on disk at the event.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

I'll repeat what I and another player from CARPS has said on the CARPS board:

"There is no such thing as someone without Internet access."

Impossible. Noone who comes to our game is penelized. They ALL have Internet access. Do they have it at home? Not necessarily. Do they have it at just about any library? Absolutely.
Pentaguishine
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'd think resources might be a good reward, possibly mundane weapons and armor too (since they are just time spent with specific resources).

The journals are role-playing aids, which I could used more in possible plot development and such. The rewards given through someone coming in and saying I've heard a story about your town, and having baises given from what they've read would be cool rewards too.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Libraries block some sites and besides, it's a library :D. I think the person Todd is reffering to doesn't currently have a car either so that makes the library a much harder deal. Although Wayne makes a good point about hard copy. As long as those are accepted then it's fine. I personally don't like IG rewards for stuff like that in the first place but that's neither here nor there.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by The Jackal »

Theres always carrier pigeon...............
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

That's it! We've solved it! Arthos can turn into a carrier pigeon with short sword sized claws and poisonous droppings and ferry our journals around in between events! Ahhhh, it's wonderful when everything comes together.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I thought that was "...when a plan comes together?" If so, I call dibs on being B.A. "I pity da foo!"
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Sweet! when do we get to shave your Head? Julies gonna love the new Mohawk. Um.. can you grow a beard?