Damage Calls

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Peace420 wrote:ranged melee ranged weapons whatever you want to call it, how do you tell the difference between a magic or non magic arrow and a boom or arcane packet damage.
When the rule clarification about blocking ranged attacks with swords is made, there will be no reason to tell the difference. They are all mechanically the same attack.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Not really, the monk can deflect one and not the other.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Inlight of the packet bo we may have to reword or relook at the monk skill list next year
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

packet bow and grenadier, and that makes both a whole bunch more nasty if you there is no way IG to counter them.

As a sidenote, I can understand the safety reasons for not knocking real arrows out of the air as they are pointy and dangerous but I think if you can swat a packet you should be able to.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Its not a safty concern it is the idea that yor weapon is a shield but it is not.
Chris
Faerykin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Faerykin »

GM_Chris wrote:Inlight of the packet bo we may have to reword or relook at the monk skill list next year
Please Do! :D
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Actually, the way the Monk skill is worded you do not need to differentiate between a packet from a bow, a grenedier, or Empath. Its all about the call:

Level 3: Ranged Block
Monks are immune to damage from ranged attacks delivered to the front of their body. The monk takes no damage from attacks delivered by arrows, thrown weapons, or packets as long as the damage call contains "Vorpal", "Crush", or is simply a number such as "1". For example: The monk would be immune to a call of "1" from a thrown dagger as well as the call "1 crush", and the call "1 Magic Crush". The Monk would not be immune to "1 magic"
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Cool so the monk is immune to all arcane packet calls that don't have magic in them.

Then without the safety concern that's kinda silly to me, if I CAN knock an arrow out of the air I should be able to... there shouldn't be a restriction on things you can actually do, that's like saying you can't dodge packets, or you can't hide.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

That is a good point Wayne
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

It is a safety concern to me as I don't want to be next to the fool trying to swing wildly to block packets. As well, I can then make FF7 Cloud style swords and block empaths with no life expenditure. Plus, instinct will naturally kick in and if someone is used to blocking things, regular arrows will get broken.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

It's not against your nature to try and block something coming right at you if you don't think you can get out of the way. Let people make huge swords, they'll get pegged over and over again and realize a short sword is the best weapon to try and block arrows with (trust me, the CARPS trailer was at our house in Redford for over a year and we tried ALL types of weapons to parry\block arrows quite often). And I really don't think swings will change, some people may try and block packets but they are going to be in their swing range anyway, you should ALWAYS be aware and careful of ANYONE who's range you are in. Your more likely to get hurt by the 6'3" 250 guy dodging a packet than sticking their sword out. The broken arrow part I completely agree with though.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You cannot block with a wepaon because if this was real life then teh arrow would be going very very fast and you would be unable to block it.

Plus it could be a safty concern as well, but honestly I consider it a balance/simplistic/realism issue
Chris
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The three main reasons for not allowing the blocking of arrows and other ranged weapons in my opinion are:

1) You cannot block packs with a sword. If you block phys-repped arrows then it gives an advantage to the packet bow which already has the advantage of greater portability and accuracy at close range

2) You are creating a scenerio that is unsafe. If you block an arrow with a sword you send it spinning off in a different direction usually tumbling or spinning. Only the striking surface of an arrow is padded. The relatively pointy knock end is not.

3) As Chris said, we limit the poundage of a bow for safety reasons which slows down the arrow considerably.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Peace420 wrote:trust me, the CARPS trailer was at our house in Redford for over a year and we tried ALL types of weapons to parry\block arrows quite often
Not with the size of the sword I'm thinking of. With some carbon fiber rods and a sock style weapon, you can easily achieve a 4'+ long, 1' wide blade within a reasonable weight which is as big as some shields. This would be a completely broken but within the rules weapon. Now, all I need a fast short weapon and level 2 swash and I have an invincible shield. I'd do this if we were allowed to block packets with weapons.

And a long sword is just as effective for blocking arrows and packets but you can't wield it the same as if you were attacking, it'll be too slow. This is the reason you found a short sword easier. My blocking weapon for FH is heavy and long. My attacking one is short and light. There's a reason for this (besides the fact that its too heavy to use offensively without a middle finger :)).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I perssonly think we should keep it simple. there is 3 types of attacks. If we can block reanged weapons with mellw weapons, then there would be 4 types of attacks. I like the idea of keeping it simple. It's hard enough to keep track of damage in middle of combat let alone trying to decide what hit my sword was a ranged weapon attack, or a mystical engery ball that surges through ones weapon.