Damage Calls

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Damage Calls

Post by General Maximus »

Last event there where many different damage calls, and there was much confusion by the PC's if they should be taking the calls or not. I don't think people where cheating, but where confused on the rules. So here is how I understand the damage call rules. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Melle damage - A number with any effect attached with it, that is swung with any melle weapon. This type of attach can be blocked by a weapon or a shield. Will only take the damage and or effect if it hits ones body. Example: 1, 1 fear, 10 magic, 2 sleep, etc..

Ranged weapon damage - A number with any effect attached with it, that is thrown with any ranged weapon (arrows, bolts, rocks, thrown weapons, etc). This type of attach can be blocked by a weapon or a shield. Will only take the damage and or effect if it hits ones body. Example: 1, 1 fear, 2 sleep, 1 vorpal, etc..

Packet damage - A number with any effect attached with it that, is thrown with a packet. This type of attach can be blocked by a shield only (follow the shield rules). Will take the damage and or effect if it hits ones body, cloths, weapons, cloak, etc... Example: 1 fear, 10 magic, 30 magic, etc..

No damge just a call - Any effect with out a number attached to it, delievered by a packet, ranged weapon, and or melle weapon, a person will take the effect. This type of attach can not be blocked by anything. Will take the affect if it hits ones body, cloths, weapons, cloak, shield etc... (surge effect) Example: fear, sleep, posion, disease, etc.. (note: lash damage falls into this category. A person simple take the call if lash is attached to it)

Now to make it easier, I suggest we treat ranged weapon damage like packet damage. One less set of rules to remember.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Ranged weapon damage - A number with any effect attached with it, that is thrown with any ranged weapon (arrows, bolts, rocks, thrown weapons, etc). This type of attach can be blocked by a weapon or a shield. Will only take the damage and or effect if it hits ones body. Example: 1, 1 fear, 2 sleep, 1 vorpal, etc..
This is not blockable by a weapon. Any ranged attack can only be blocked by a shield.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I'm pretty sure that ranged weapon and packet damage are the same, only a shield or parry can block it or.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Also you always follow the shield rules with any type of damage.

For example if I swing for 30 melee damage and you block with your shield then you would loose your shield UNLESS you utilize a parry.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Cool,

That's why I asked. BTW: you cannot parry a ranged attack, only melle attacks.

So there are only 3 type of attacks we PCs need to know

Melle damaging

Ranged damaging

Non-damaging but effect driven attacks.

So good to me.

Thanks for the clarification
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Correct.

Oh and if you are not a warrior then you really only have 2 types of damage calls since you would not have any skills requiring you to differentiate the two
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

unless you are a druid or a monk... :wink:
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

It has nothing to do with skills, it is what you can use physicaly to block incoming attacks. So a person needs to know the 3 different attacks. I know there are people out there that think they can block arrows with swords, but that is not true. If they do, they still would take the damage. Same would be said if a person catchs an arrow out of the air with bare hands. Thats where the confusion can come in.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

This brings up something I've wondered for awhile, how are you supposed to tell the difference between a ranged melee and a ranged if the person has packets for a bow?. It's nearly impossible to distinguish as the calls are or can be exactly the same.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

That be the pont

There is no ranged melee. There is nothign thrown where you can use skills that can only be used with Melee.

Forexample

Def/matrix says only frontal melee attacks
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

ranged melee? :?:

And yes you'll always need three. Melee can be blocked via weapon or shield, Ranged, can be blocked with shield only, and Effects cannot be blocked.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I reviewed the rulebook last night, and I could not find it any where where ranged weapons surged through weapons. The best thing I could find to cover this is

Understanding Special Damage Calls
Certain skills allow players to perform special actions. For example, the Barbarian can cause fear. When you are hit with any attack that is not preceded by a number (i.e. “Fear” as opposed to “10 magic”) then you are
affected by that attack if it hits any part of you, your sword, or your shield. On the other hand, weapon attacks preceded by a number can be blocked by a weapon or a shield, and packet driven attacks preceded by a number can be blocked by a shield.

I think a small rules clarification is in order about ranged weapon attacks. aka you can not block them with a weapon!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Correct. See the Lash thread in this forum for the clarification that will be made
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

ranged melee ranged weapons whatever you want to call it, how do you tell the difference between a magic or non magic arrow and a boom or arcane packet damage.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

How would you count them differently?

I do not understand where the rules are different for a magic arrow and a magic dare I say Boom :)
Chris