Damage Calls

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

As I said, I COMPLETELY agree with the real arrow safety issue and I wasn't excluding packet bows, packets would actually be easier to parry than arrows. The safety issue is certainly enough in and of itself, Chris stated the issue wasn't safety and without that I just don't like the idea of limiting anything you can actually do.

Yes the poundage is low on bows but we're also playing characters with phenomal abilities. Our characters are the UFC and ISKA champions, the fencing champions, the leading chemists, physicist and physicians, gold medal acrobats, simply put, the best of the best. Atrum could tie you up in a knot that you'd NEVER get out of no matter how hard you tried or how much you knew about knots, mix a few herbs and turn himself into a hulking beast or knock you out with 1 touch, I however don't even KNOW anybody that could do ANY of those things, except possibly Wayne and his scout knots. :D

Ried, did you not read the part where I've done this on multiple occasions? Your speculation on why is bassackwards. Your MELEE blocking weapon is large because in MELEE it is easier to block with a larger weapon because you don't have to be precise at all you just stick it in the way just like you would a shield. Try using a 1' x 4' shield and see how effective it is, the shield is the most effective blocker because it is wide and long, a 2' x 2' shield would be much more effective with the same surface area. The reason I found it easier to parry with the smaller weapon is because it is more precise and easier to maneuver quickly, the exact same reasons you use a smaller weapon for attacking make it better for parrying arrows, bare hands actually work best, Sometimes Keesler, RaD, Colin and I would take turns catching the arrows at about 15 ft. The bamboo\pipe foam weapons are actually pretty much the same weight as most of the fabric weapons the phoenix uses. I have no idea what the phoenix cores are though. At level 2 swash you can use a shield with no penalties so...

I'm fine with the ruling, I just wanted to point out that without safety issues you shouldn't limit things that can actually be done.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I knew you would bring the hero element in.

Yeah you are playing hero's with amazing abilities. If you want to catch arrows out of the air play a monk to get that amazing ability.

On the other hand do not be a real life ninja master, play an ingame chemist and think you should be allowed to grab arrows out of the air :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Peace420 wrote:Ried, did you not read the part where I've done this on multiple occasions? Your speculation on why is bassackwards. Your MELEE blocking weapon is large because in MELEE it is easier to block with a larger weapon because you don't have to be precise at all you just stick it in the way just like you would a shield. Try using a 1' x 4' shield and see how effective it is, the shield is the most effective blocker because it is wide and long, a 2' x 2' shield would be much more effective with the same surface area. The reason I found it easier to parry with the smaller weapon is because it is more precise and easier to maneuver quickly, the exact same reasons you use a smaller weapon for attacking make it better for parrying arrows, bare hands actually work best, Sometimes Keesler, RaD, Colin and I would take turns catching the arrows at about 15 ft. The bamboo\pipe foam weapons are actually pretty much the same weight as most of the fabric weapons the phoenix uses. I have no idea what the phoenix cores are though. At level 2 swash you can use a shield with no penalties so...
:shrug: whatever. you are the combat expert.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Chris I only brought in the hero element because you brought in the wouldn't really be able to do it element.

Ried, I'm only speaking from experience as opposed to supposition. I don't claim to be a combat expert at all, but I have done exactly what I'm talking about on multiple occasions. Concepts and reality are often vastly different, or there would be no need for tests.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Peace420 wrote:Ried, I'm only speaking from experience.
because I'm obviously not... :roll:
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.