Evaluate?

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Evaluate?

Post by Peace420 »

Which paths or disciplines can evaluate precious stones and metals? Before I would say that it was obviously Fence but now that Fence is no longer a PC discipline it needs to be incorporated into something else, either that or we will always be at a huge disadvantage when dealing with traders since we would not have any idea of the approximate value of gems and such.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

well considering it is a PC driven economy gems are worth whatever orc next to you thinks it is worth.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

That's fine but when you are trading with NPC traders what then? It's bad enough that we have to try and figure out how much steel is worth how much cloth or food or hide but when throwing gems and precious metals in it becomes nigh impossible to determine. Not to mention without any possible PC confirmation of it's authenticity we could easily giveaway good stuff for a couple of rocks from a waterbed that are shiny and smooth. And don't try and tell me that you guys would never try and decieve us like that cause we all know better. :)
Now, that being said I do know that you have put some things into game to help establish an economy and it's being "lost in the shuffle". It just seems that there should be some way to judge the approximate value and especially authenticity of things.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Certain stones have applications in spells and potions, so thus they have value. Granted unless you have said spells or potion formuli, would you know what you had? Now if you knew the spell or potion, I'm guessing you'd know the difference. Like without alchemy, you wouldn't know good herbs/ingredients from crab grass/river rocks.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

So an arcane can tell whether an uncut gem is really a diamond or quartz or glass by looking at it if he knows a spell that contains any of those things? Does that make much sense?
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Does it make sense that no one can use their fist for damage except a monk? I didn't say it made sense, I just said, they'd probably know (ie does it channel the energy the way its supposed to).
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

dier_cire wrote:Does it make sense that no one can use their fist for damage except a monk? I didn't say it made sense, I just said, they'd probably know (ie does it channel the energy the way its supposed to).
Wel yeah actually it does, if a sword does 1 then an untrained punch shouldn't do damage. The monk has been trained to strike unarmed as effectively as as weapon.

And the only way to see if it channels the energy correctly would be to try the item while casting the spell. Mage go boom trying to channel energy into glass that should be channeled into a diamond.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

We were toying with the idea of putting an evaluate type skill along with "Barter" for the rogue. It would tell the rogue if it is real gold, silver, gems, etc. I also believe the craftsman should be able to tell as well.

In my opinion, for simplicity's sake, if a caster has a spell that requires a certain type of gem, they would be able to tell if it is real or not.

I really dont see us putting in fake gems as a plot device. It is just too hard to keep track of.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

So if I start passing pieces of glass as gems the PC's have no way to tell it's a fake. :shock: SWEET!!! :twisted:
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

When did gem cutting or glass cutting become a skill? And technically, they could.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I would assume that both of those "skills" would be in craftsman since they make the jewelry and the windows.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
Azara Blackhawk

Post by Azara Blackhawk »

Guess what you are stating by this then is that a master craftsman could make some nice fake gems and all.

Do you really want to go there?

Guess if the powers that be do want to go there then fine, but I guess that means that a craftsman of high level would be able to spot the fake gems as well.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

No that's not at all in the slightest what I said or meant, what I meant was that I could take glass or anything that looks similiar and pass it off as actual gems IG and there would be no way for the PCs to tell as it stands.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I will never agree to evaluate as a skill.

IMO we shouldnt run plots that decieve you in that matter and you cannot decieve other players. Basically everyone has master evaluate level 10,000

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them