After the Event Questions

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

Thaz right, don't mess around with the Big Daddy. :-)
Pentaguishine
The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by The Jackal »

As great of a job as Aaron and Eric are doing testing the rules is it really necessary to the depth that it is being taken?

Final Haven has its player base basically set. Of course this will fluctuate slightly but all in all new player are in short supply. If they are brought in they are shown the path by a respected member of the organization already. If they come to break rules and exploit things just plain and simply, have one of the GM's throw them out.
Continuing to extract every iota of possiblitly from a skill or subset of discipline is like chasing your tail.
The rules are basically good, any more policing is going to end up being a GM tossing a cheater out. If there ever are any. As I said the game has its foundation of players, do you really think any of them are going to loophole the game and get away with it with Aaron and Eric on watch? Your positions should be amended to that of almost on field marshalls keeping tabs on possible breaks. I mean what else in the world do you try to break to make it work better? My lawnmower wouldn't work better if I broke it, neither would my car.

Shackling someones imagination with rules to the extent that there is no chance to have that one unique quirk that will spark a geniune interest in the game is wrong.

I thought that this is what FH was all about? The ability to come and play something or someone that you usually can't in a LARP. The GM's strive to be accomodating to the point of being on their heads from bending over backwards so far to make someone feel that their character is "special". I always that that was what made Final Haven a step above other games not that combat is deadlier and numbers are smaller. That is why I would attend a LARP. No matter what I could dream up there would be one of these guys trying to make it happen for me. Locking all open-ends on rules will help to slowly suffocate this.

*more later theres beer to drink*
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

OK, here comes the long one. And I'm going to go through the above posts one at a time. Disclaimer; This is an honest, and heart felt presentation. At the end (if all has not yet come clear), I will expound further. Please do not take offense.

Natalie, My complaint about the Knight discipline is the discipline itself. I didnt mean to offend. Combat characters would absolutely want this discipline. My complaint actually comes from the use of the word 'Knight'. The conotations that are derived from Knight, or Knighthood, are not confered in the discipline. I guess I would just be happier with it name 'Combatant" or something less gay. I sincerily apologize for erking you. *hugs and smooches*

Next

Nelkie, here I'm gonna quote you again.
I disagree with a skill that makes you less powerful/useful unlike all other skills which grant a person an advantage. The reason why you take certain path, disapline, skills, is so you can have an advantage against your enimies.
I guess this is just a difference in philosophy. I've played many characters for no other reason than they were cool ideas. I've even changed concepts during play. Ask Nat or SoCo how big a pussy Sylas is at CARPs. Its kind of pathetic really. Anyway, I think a skill can contribue to the game through other means than combat. Again it could just be a difference in philosophy. No hard feelings. I'm glad you made the post about it being more of a 'Debate' than an actual fight. I've said it before, and I mean it when I say, "CARPs (and FH by extension) is like family. We may not always agree, or get along, but we can always count on each other. Brad 2.0 can back me up on this one. Ah well, on to the..

Next

Tonia, She said exactly what I was thinking, only more elequently. I should send her all my posts and let her translate them for me.

Next

Ried, I'm against adding things I see as unneccessary, but I'm willing to be convinced on the rage, what do you have in mind specifically? The basic concept behind the Druid is similar to the native american Shaman, who turns into a Crow. Or like the movie Lady Hawk, he a Wolf, her a Hawk (ironic no?) its fairly well a full transformation. There is no 'hybrid' form, thus skills are eliminated. I have a question though. Whos side are you on? :) by that I mean your next three statements, and I'm going to quote them. Loosly of course.
1) Another issue with no abilities is this. What if my special is a flee and my race is aviana? Does the aviana add in? Technically, you aren't a bird any more, so... fails the easy to understand rule.
2) If you notice the level of complexity gets vastly out of hand. Rules need to stay simple. Recalculating one's hitpoints and armor every time you use a skill fails that rule.
3) Also the unique advantages is another thing it fails on since this gives one skill the effect of multiple disciplines. Obviously not at the same time, but having a choice of skills is a huge deal, when no one else gets this.
Addressing them in order, 1) Easy to understand rule, NO Other Skills. On the contrary, I think this passes. 2) Recalculation, there isnt any. You get your life points. You already know (or should know) what your life points are, its what you need to keep track of for vorpal damage. I think this one passes as well. 3) The only varience is dependant on which animal you choose. As stated if 100 People pick wolf, they will all have the same ability. Now if you mean the difference in abilities between, say a Bear and a Hawk. I think its ok, as long as the PC is making the choice, and NPC Camp isnt foisting it off on them. The Animals stats are set. The Player chooses the animal. He gets the stats as listed. While I think we disagree on this one, I'm willing to call it a draw.
Lastly to your question of, 'other than "it's cool and was there before".
Well I have to admit thats realy my only excuse :D

Next

Nelkie Again, I still say your Way 'Over-Powering' this. The 7 examples you listed are already way more powerful than any 'animal' we have in game. As for 'the player gets to choose a skill' this was never the case. The Player gets to choose an animal. The stats (ability) involved are taken from the animal. Again this is an as-is summation.

Moving on

Erik Temple, First I addressed the Knight thing story wise earlier, in addition to that list I would add Kathrine/Natalie, as she is priveledged, and Royalty. Secondly, we removed Gnome, not Guthrie. So on and so forth. Again the #s dont change, and the size thing hasnt been fully covered, but I think that the size would be the same as the playable races, Smaller than Human, Human size, and Larger than Human size. Every animal would have to fit into one of these catagories.

And On

Ried Again, You are right about keeping it to the Druid talk, as for 'sick of hearing' I only brought it up once and I hope I clarified what I meant by my statement. We now return to our regularly scheduled post. Back to Druid. I think Dual weilding shortsword is way too over-powered. Ask Julie how deadly it can be. If you have more to bring to the table, bring it. Dont be disuaded because I'm an ass.

Over too

Erik Temple Again, He speaks for himself on this one, and has little in need of commenting on

Next up

Doug, Sorry for the loss of coherency. I like your thoughts here, and concur. Where does that lead us?

Almost done

Brad 2.0, were all adults, even if we dont act like it sometimes. Sorry for the bad sportsmanship. :)

And that leaves

Julie, I'm gonna quote you here, because it seems that you women can keep a cohesive thought much longer than I can.
All this makes sense and can not only be used for combat reasons, but role-playing ones as well thus finding common ground for both sides of the coin (the role-player and combat guy).
Spectacular point, and I'll address the other issues here, Envelope- Kind of cool, but if your talking about using it ofensively its less powerful then Root, (I know, I know, now whos talking Mechanics and Powergaming) In addition it adds a new call which is the kiss of death for any new skill. Pacify- requires communication, and adds another call. Secondly what happens if a druid tries to 'pacify' another Druid in animal form? now we need new rules to monitor it. New call, and requires even more rules. (not to mention we eliminated a very similar rule from Undead slayer for the same reasons) Sizes- we addressed that earlier, I dont think it would be an issue.

Well thats it. I finally reached the.. Doh!.. Brad 1.0 slips in under the wire.

Brad, Shut the Hell UP! No wait! ... Some of what you said actually made sense. How'd that happen? Anyway, yes. If we keep it up we run the risk of stifling creativity, but we do need to monitor for exploits. Its a tricky Ball to juggle. ReHe!

In closing I'd like to say I hope no one takes my barking too seriously. The delivery sucks, but the message is what I'm worried about. I just have to try to be clear on exactly what message that is. Oh my Brad! I'm starting to sound like 1.0.

The Humanity! The Humani-Tay!