Ranged Backstab

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Ranged Backstab

Post by Lambic »

I am sure this has been discussed before but why isn't there a ranged backstab? Or knockout?

Recently I have more than twice had to stop my self from throwing myself in the way of a rogue running full boar into combat (pre or post included) to land a backstab. This makes for a dangerous situation. I know all I had to do was hit the person but my gut told me to get in the way. Even leading with my shield, which was also my instinct, someone was very likely to get hurt.

I understand that this is really the only choice if you want to land a backstab and the person is in a crowd. This aims directly at doing something dangerous. Something that could be directly stopped by allowing ranged backstab. I understand that this messes with Archer, but honestly I have thought Archer was a little over powered, I don't feel that way about Grenadier.

Maybe only allow ranged backstab if you are an archer or grenadier. Just a thought.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

LOL not going to win an argument for range backstab by claiming safty. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'd say running full bore in a crowd is generally a bad idea in the first place. I wouldn't fault the skill, but rather the user.

It's like me hitting Aaron in the head because he's mostly concealed behind a wall. No need to adjust rules, it's just that I shouldn't swing if I don't have a viable target. If I don't have a good path to attempt a backstab, then I shouldn't try to force and risk physical injury.

And ranged backstab would be a real pain. Since it's only a call of "12" or lower, it'd get mixed up with other ranged calls. One might think it's a rock (lower level backstabs), or some spell. Having to explain for them not to take it as they turned would get annoying. Plus, it could blow up shields...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

i agree with a dislike of ranged backstab, however ranged knockout would be cool.
Travis Cole