What do I see?

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

well, how would hair color or diet have any roleplaying effects? I don't see any. So who cares. If you elves to lettuce munchers, go nuts. However, OOG people will eat what they will. If all dark elves are to have natural silver hair, then go nuts. It'd be part of their costume.

Now height, is iffy. We had it in CARPS and it was alright but it encourages "what do I see" too much. So, it has been removed and races are all, more or less, us sized.

Age, well, if you can make yourself look old then cool. You get no benefit from this (in fact you may, if you choose to be too old, take a negative), and no where does it say you must be within a certain age range. Eli is super young, but anyone who doesn't know him, would just consider him to be an immature elf. Amagus is old, and Doug is the master of way too many props so he can make it work.

Now if you read through the other descriptions most everything is either tied to their racial boon or their costume requirements. The rest is mostly flavor for the general personality of each race. Now obviously you can break the personality rules, but don't be surprised if others view you funny.

Now as for ayvana wings, that's costume not description. Different world.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

We can not add flavor text to descriptions that cannot be physically represented with a resonable amount of costuming or that DIRECTLY describes a mechanical benefit that is gained. If it is not LARPable, then it shouldnt be in flavor text. Hair color is LARPable. A different skin color is LARPable. Horns are LARPable. Huge Size is not easily LARPable. Flight is NOT LARPable. Keen Eyesight is Not LARPable. Diet IS LARPable. Age is LARPable (to an extent). etc. etc. If you are unsure whether or not an effect is LARPable, ask yourself a few questions. Can I produce the effect without a verbal description needed? Can I represent the effect without making a global rule? Can I costume this effect with basic supplies?

As for how people are going to take description for special powers, there is no stopping that. The best way to deal with it is call out the individual for cheating. If they do it again, they get banned. End of story. Rules dont stop cheesedicks, well executed policies stop them.

Travis, I think you are taking this way overboard. The idea is not to eliminate flavor text, it is to not allow flavor text to give an individual race/ discipline/ path an unfair advantage over another. Like I said a few times above, there is no free lunch. In the gargoyle example, Keen eyesight is an unfair advantage that is next to impossible to LARP without a new global rule or call. Huge size is the same way. They can be described as dense in weight because that can be LARPed but how do you LARP someone that is 10' tall without requiring a mess of costuming? Its an unfair request to make of the players playing them. The idea is to add flavor through good culture, customs, and backstory not through special powers.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

That is part of the reason I am having him get a little older, it is just to hard to larp being young... except by rping, and well, I don't look 8 years old oog, so... rping is my only out way to do that, hence, teen eli!
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Well, this is a LITTLE off-track but in the gargoyle PC example, at least as far as size and flight goes, they weren't raised around other gargoyles, they may not have had access to everything they needed to grow up correctly. I mean, obviously no PCs can fly, so from an imprinting standard, the Gargoyles probably wouldn't really be able to fly anyway. Size-wise, yeah, they got fed a TON but it may not have been the absolute proper make-up of food to make them as big and strong as they normally would have been.

Since it is doubtful to me that we'll end up with any NORMAL pc Gargoyles, I don't expect this to really be an issue. Juts my two cents.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

don't we have two full time pc garg's?
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )