Resists

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

That makes resist posion alot huger wayne and not appropriate for a dwarf IMO.

ALSO, we get into a surge debate and to be simple posion calls should be resistable even if it hits your armor.

The thing is this is not a "nerf" this is how it has been, and how people have been playing it as far as I know.

I am voting we keep it as is.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Why is there a surge debate? If something hits you, you can resist it. The secondary effect of posion doing something if it hits your life is irrelavant. That's a bonus to the call, not an impact on when or how you can use resists.

Thing is, I've always assumed dwarves to be able to resist the whole effect and have never seen an issue. It doesn't overpower them, as it's just a resist. Press has become more useful with the ability to use it more than once a combat, and it's a racial skill. We used it quite a bit last event.

If you really want to balance out a dwarf make them immune to the effects of poison (not the call, just the effects). So 8 vorpal poison would be 8 vorpal and the poison would be ignored.

Then have a resist poison skill in assasin, that acts as a normal resist.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Currently posion is balanced by needing armor. It is the reason I do not support a resist knockout skill. If you want to resist knockout then wear armor.

If you want to clear up the resist debate then state in resist posion that it can only resist the posion effect and not the entire damage just as you suggested.

Oh and I thought if you swing 2 sleep you resist the sleep not the 2 damage. I guess the exception is really magic...hmmmmmmmm
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

and what about swinging 2 magic? would you just resist the magic?

It really does need to be all or none for every resist.

Immunities are a whole different world and already are known to not counter damage (ie immunity to disease just means the effects). Heck, dwarf could be:

gain immunity to posion for duration of combat for 1 life. (this is the effect your looking for (more or less) without complicating resist)
Last edited by dier_cire on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I've never even seen a 2 sleep call. I had always just assumed it was like Press or taunt. No numbers nessisary.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

You would never see a "2 Sleep" call. Instead, it would be a "2 Knockout". Its the whole reason for the knockout call. You also would never hear a "1 fear" call because thats not how it works. The only excemption is resist poison. Because of that, I say we drop resist poison and call it instead something like:

Poison Tolerance: The dwarf may spend a life point to instantly purge their body of poison. This only works on poison and may not be used to negate the effects of other potions.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Good point Wayno! I like and fixes everything.

How about we give the assassin posion Tolerance as well :)
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

With this skill then all previous skills would be lost (since in order to use it you'd have to be under the effects of poison)? So a warrior would lose rage/defensive matrix/etc, an assasin would lose poison, etc?

I wouldn't classify that as a second level skill.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Good point Cow Dude. Hmmm....I think we can get around that with tricky wording...let me think on it.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

WayneO42 wrote:Good point Cow Dude. Hmmm....I think we can get around that with tricky wording...let me think on it.
hint: immunity.. :D (trust me, it can work.)

or you could do something excessive and say "poisons take 5 seconds to affect a dwarf, during this time the dwarf may spend a life point to purge the poison."

Again, I still think the assasin skill should be "Resist Poison" and work like normal resists.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The Dwarves are a hardy folk, used to a hard days work and a hard night of revelry. Due to the rugged nature of the short folk they have built up a tolerance for the drinks and toxins that they expose their systems to nightly. If a Dwarf finds him/herself exposed to a poison they may choose to spend a life point and purge it from their body instead of suffering the effects of the poison (see pg ??).
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite