An Observation

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Lao
Town Member
Town Member

An Observation

Post by Lao »

It just occurred to me that unless Im overlooking something the Swashbuckler is the only discipline that has 4 unique skills. Is their some reason that none of these skills are duplicated anywhere else in the game?

I was kind of under the perception that level 1 and 2 discipline skills are supposed to be everybody type skills and that 3 and 4 are the disciplines defining characteristics.

Are taunt and florentine really viewed as being so powerful that only the swashbuckler is allowed them?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

There are other disciplines which have the taunt skill even if it isnt called taunt. They may be hidden though, unsure.

Actually to answer your question florentine is very powerful, but we have not conspired to make swashbuckler the way it is. Actually it just happened to turn out that way.

Oh and before anyone else asks no I do not feel every discipline should have 4 unique skills nor do I feel having 4 unique skills makes you more powerfull than another.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

It wasnt really a question of power (at least for me it isnt). I dont think the swashbuckler is overpowering...I was just wondering if it was intentionally done that way.

Most 1st and 2nd level skills can be found somewhere in some discipline across any lifestyle choice (It may be 3rd level in some cases) but I dont see Taunt or Florentine as being options for either savages or Privilaged characters and was a little disappointed.

Im not trying to critique, just making an observation or perhaps it could be taken as a suggestion.

Thanks for the answers Chris!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We do have intentions to get Florintine into Privledged and Savage. Taunt is already in savage through secret means.
Chris
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I always assumed Florentine was kept out of Privalage to keep it from combing with Knight. The same goes true for the barbarian. And while it can combo with undead hunter, dual maces,axes would be unwieldy and the physical permutations of such an act help to counter it's effects.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well that was a reason, but we have sence chanced the rules on the knight and forintine.
Chris
Faerykin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Faerykin »

GM_Chris wrote:through secret means.
I want secret means. :wink:
Farbarian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Farbarian »

Faurentine = Ambidexterity? <-- Monk ability
Jarl Garin
Master healer
Fear keeps you alive! Regret means your still alive.
Potion maker And Coward.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Doesn't Brawler get something close to the monk ability too?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Florentine =! Monk. They are close, but not the same.

The Monk/brawler Can block with a 12' fist physrep. He does not have to upkeep this weapon, nor can it be disarmed.

FLorentine may use 2 weapons of ANY length. (if 39 INCHES or shorter they may be the same size.) They must upkeep their weapons and are affected by disarm.

While the two appear similar, each one has it's own unique set of advanages and disadvanges. Monk, for example can not combo with anything exept rage to deal two damage. (and spells/pots). Florentine CAN. Undead Hunter/SwashB could wield two axes and deal 2. Quite a startling change.
Travis Cole
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Florentine and the brawler\monk are very different. Florentine is short sized weapons, brawler and monks are fists only. Yeah it's still dual wielding but the difference between 12" and 39" is HUGE.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

True Erik. That is a big difference, but as they say fists are still something.
cole45 wrote:I always assumed Florentine was kept out of Privalage to keep it from combing with Knight. The same goes true for the barbarian. And while it can combo with undead hunter, dual maces,axes would be unwieldy and the physical permutations of such an act help to counter it's effects.
Apparently you never saw Kaber (Bob Z) fight dual axes - Gotta love the dwarf!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I did not. And if he was good, he deserves it. *LOL* my off hand is mostly for batting at flys and waving.
Travis Cole
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Dwell Weilding

Post by Nelkie »

I personaly believe sword and board is the most useful and powerful fighting style in FH. With the rule changes to charging, aka you have to have a weapon or shield inbetween you and the person you attack, makes the 2nd weapon a blocking device. The days of bear hugging people and hitting there sides or back are over becasue that is considered charging. So Flouinte has lost alot of it's power, but many people preferr to fight that way. It personal preference.
My Thoughts

Aaron
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I did not. And if he was good, he deserves it. *LOL* my off hand is mostly for batting at flys and waving.
Travis Cole