Taunt/Sleep and Parry

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

"they may also parry knockout, disarm, and crush attacks delivered from a melee weapon."

Assuming a fist is NOT a melee weapon, the knockout from a fist would NOT be parriable.

So a fist physrep IS a melee weapon. SO can they parry melee sleep?
Travis Cole
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Doesn't the monk skill sat that it makes the fist count as a weapon? Perhaps there is some confusion as to if the parry skill reffers to in game weapons or oog weapon physreps?

Edit:

Ahh, I just saw Wayne posted this: "For the record, any attack made with a phist is a melee attack."
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The rulebook states:

Parry/Avoid Blow
A character can now spend a LP to reduce the damage delivered from any single frontal melee attack to 0. In addition, they may also parry knockout, disarm, and crush attacks delivered from a melee weapon.

Any DAMAGE delivered is reduced to zero so to be effective the call parried must have a number in it unless it falls into the exception of disarm. It says nothing of sleep so, at least for the rest of this season, sleep cannot be parried.

I know I made the statement last event that sleep could be parried when delivered with a melee weapon but the creatures sleep was a special sleep because it "Surged" so I guess it evened out.

As for Phists, the definition of Melee weapon in the book is:

Melee Weapon
Any non-projectile weapon.

A phist is not really a "stick" your character is weilding but rather a safe physical representation of their hands and feet. It is ruled that skills such as parry and defensive matrix can be used with phists so, like Chuck Norris, your character's fist are considered lethel melee weapons. I will add this to the FAQ and we will clarify it in the book for next season.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Does assassin sleep NOT surge? I was under the impression all NON damage calls surged.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Just out of curiosity, where did you get that idea?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

pg 16:
"When you are hit with any attack that is not preceeded by a number, then you are affected by that attack if it hits any part of you, your sword or your shield."
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Well, that certainly does give that impression :) .

That was intended to be "When you are hit with any packet attack that is not preceeded by a number, then you are affected by that attack if it hits any part of you, your sword or your shield."

Well, chalk that one up as an oversight. We will look at changing it for next season.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

okay. so we need to faq that. Only packet effects surge.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

No, for this season it stands as is. We will watch it during game play. It may not need to be changed but I strongly suspect it does.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I've always assumed melee delievered Sleep / Fear / Taunt surged. Honestly, with the requirements to use it and the fact that being hit disrupts it (with the rare exception being they block you weapon with a phist and call "Sleep"), it's not worth the issue. It evens out the carrying of a shield...

Most combats I've seen these skills used, they've worked that way.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

From the perspective of simplicity I always thought that melee attacks without numbers surged, but I also assumed that any frontal melee attack could be parried assuming I had a weapon in hand.

By modifying this all your really doing is complicating how these skills interact.

But that is just my opinion,
Evan
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

So basically change parry to:

Parry/Avoid Blow
A character can now spend a LP to negate the effect of any single frontal attack delivered from a melee weapon.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

I think that would simplify the issue, but I would add that the person must have a MELEE weapon in hand in order to parry.

I think parrying with a bow or a throwing rock is silly, but to totally simplify then you could just say any weapon.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The skill is "Parry/ Avoid Blow". It includes parrying with a blade or dodging a blow. Because of the later I would say they really dont need a weapon.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

With that logic the packet driven effects should be "parriable" too if you can "dodge" out of the way. Can't surge on something that doesn't "hit". But then again I've always thought it should be limited to strcitly damage calls and not effects, thats what resists are for. In fact in the discussions about parry the first year it was assumed only damage calls. *Shrugs*
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~