how many hints with recall..

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

how many hints with recall..

Post by Zydana »

rule book wrote:Recall
A Sage may receive 1 hint to a plot or puzzle. To receive a hint the Sage needs to be out of combat for 15
minutes and find either an OOC game master running the plot OR go to NPC camp to receive your hint. Sages
may work collectively if they both have recall by both Sages taking 15 minutes and then coming to NPC camp
together. This will give the Sages a better hint. Up to three Sages may work collectively for a hint. After a hint
is given additional time spent will not give any more hints.
So this was my first event being on the other end of sage hints and some questions were brought up on how they work..

As far as I know, there are hints on plots and a GM need not answer a specific question but only give you a hint on the plot. Is this correct?

Also the rule say that a sage may receive ONE hint to a plot or puzzle. (first sentence) So.. does that mean if three sages work together they get only the level three hint and not the one and two as well? (there had been games where all three hints were given and some where we where given only level 3)

Now it also says more time will not give any more hints. A senerio..

Val goes up to get the level one hint, and it doesn't help, she asks for Vaun's insight so they get the level two hint but still sages have no clue so they have Eilonwy assist them and get the level 3 hint.

So..
Val's time on getting hints has been 45 minutes for one plot
Vaun's time on getting hints has been 30 minutes for one plot

Both of these sages have spent over 15 minutes for additional hints. Is that against the rules or not? Would two of three completly different sages be needed for a better hint after the first hint has been given?

*hides from other sages as she awaits GM's answer*
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

As a GM sometimes you might see plots change and shift unexpectedly. New developement may cause a plot to head in an unexpected direction. Directions that might make the original 'Hints' uneffective, and new ones made on the fly. If all goes well though.. the 3 original hints are all that should be made available.

It is my understanding that sages can work together exactly as in your example.

It is also my understanding that a group of 3 working on a plot for the first time would get only the lvl3 hint.

Perfect scenario;
Val looks into the the situaltion alone.
At the same time Vaun and Eilonwy look into the situation.
(Val alone gets the lvl1 hint, Vaun and Eilonwy get the lvl2 hint)
Compairing notes Val, Vaun, and Eilonwy look into it further.
(the Three of them receive the lvl3 hint)

All three hints given, total time for any one PC.. 30 min.

note; Imagus the Master Sage decides to look into it himself. He would recieve the same lvl1 hint.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

The way I understood it to work is... (purely mechanically)

Plot A has three hints (called hint 1, hint 2, and hint 3). Any single sage could spend 15 minutes and get hint 1. If two sages spent 15 minutes than they would get hints 1 and 2. The same with 3 sages and hints 1, 2, and 3.

Now I freely admit that I am not a sage and have not been one since they changed. But I did like the way things changed as I understood them at that time.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The way we do it is like Wes said.

Plot A has three hints (called hint 1, hint 2, and hint 3). Any single sage could spend 15 minutes and get hint 1. If two sages spent 15 minutes than they would get hints 1 and 2. The same with 3 sages and hints 1, 2, and 3.

Sometimes, if the level 1 and 2 hints dont add anything that the level 3 doesnt' we will just give the level three.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

okay, and it's offical that a single sage may get hint #1 and also may participate in getting #2 and/or #3?

I just don't like the way this is worded I guess..
"After a hint is given additional time spent will not give any more hints."

It does make it sound like you can't go back for more hints.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

You cant go back for more hints as an individual. You can however participate in a group of sages going for a higher level hint.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!