Assassin Skill ideas

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Maybe the Lightfingered openning trick could be specified to allow just the assassin performing the skill, through. No one else. I know that it seems to indicate that, yet I don't remember it being said. It sounds as though the door isn't actually being unlocked, more being tricked open. Some type of mystic passwall...without it actually being passwall or having anything to do with a wall. I like it. No oog issue and the door remains locked for all except the person performing the skill. And it is a charged skill, so it can be stopped.

This would explain why it wouldn't work on chests, only have two seconds of it open would most likely not be enough time to see what's inside in detail. Must less grab anything from it without getting your arm caught in it's grips.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

what tullus said!
Travis Cole
Alexander
New in Town
New in Town

skill

Post by Alexander »

i was just reading this post and i have had an idea, i kinda liked the token thing talked about earlier but instead of being able to move why not have something like *Hide in shadows* make is so that you can do like a 30 second charge, you are rooted where you are, being not right out in the open, in a corner or next to a tree or something. also the person has to remain quiet. make it so that if your hideing in the shadows no one can see you, your not realy oog but like if say a group comes up to you say you cant see me or something. also to level it out make it that a rouge can detect you with spot.
please stop being stupid cause i like killing stupid people but i like you to so that would make me conflicted and i dont like being conflicted cause it makes me want to kill things, so do you see my pradiciment
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Unfortunately, that still creates the o.o.g. issue they've been trying to avoid. You'd be there, but your character wouldn't.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
Alexander
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Alexander »

well both you and your charicter would be ther but hideing and they couldnt see you .
please stop being stupid cause i like killing stupid people but i like you to so that would make me conflicted and i dont like being conflicted cause it makes me want to kill things, so do you see my pradiciment
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Quite a few LARPS have a hide skill, and FH has purposely avoided the hide skill. Come down one weekend and we can go to City Club and if you look for it you're almost gauranteed to find someone standing next to the wall with arms crossed across their chest, which is obfuscate in Vapmire LARPS. I'm not really a fan of hide, I always find myself purposefully putting my back to them at some point. My character at CARPS would NEVER go into a dark elf cave without 2 people running weapons about an inch off the wall along the wall because he knows that those little buggers will hide and stab yo ass! But I never do that because it would seem like metagaming. It really does make for a wierd and to me unlikeable situation. "Am I being cautious because my characters life depends on it or because I see someone standing right there."
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I agree with Erik. The first Larp I ever went to, two vampires followed me arround with their arms crossed whispering "You can't see me." It turned me off to larps in general...until FH anyway.
Travis Cole
Daku of the North
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Daku of the North »

Honestly, I love all of the suggestions so far. I think that it took a lot of good thought to come up with these suggestions, but the fact remains that some of these suggestions are still kinda powerful.

Think about it: Anyone can take two levels of assassin and pick locks, evade, mystic passwall, etc...and that is specifically what the GMs are trying to avoid. All of the skills posted so far have been perhaps a little too good for a lv 2 skill, but I could be wrong.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, I'm just trying to look out for all of the assassins who could get their awesome new skill ganked by anyone who has 60 extra points to burn (think about how many people we know who picked up lv 2 assassin just to use poison). I am, however, trying to think of the best skill that I can think of for lv 2 assassin.

The only one I've been able to consider is Escape Artist (I always personally felt that it did better as an assassin skill). I know Matt said that putting it in there would make Spy and Assassin conflict, but we could always make it so that if there is someone who consciously made the effort to get both lv 2 Spy and lv 2 Assassin (that's anywhere from 120-190 points depending on if they had lv 4 of either of those), then instead of it taking 5 mins to get out of Interrogator's Inescapable Bonds, it would take 2.5 mins, cutting the time in half.

That way, it's like Pass Wall, but much more difficult and lengthy, thereby detering anyone who might pick it up just for the hell of it.

I would just like to state for the record that I like assassin just how it is and so does many others, but if it does change and it's not as good as it was, then people are going to drop it either way. It was never broken in the first place, and if somthing ain't broken, then why fix it?

Tullus, Erik, and Sen have both had some really great ideas, so I think I might just have to sit this one out and leave it to them.

Much love to you guys.
"Unlesss you're cooking, baking, or eating, get the heeeellll outta my kitchen!" ~ Jasmine, August event
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

It was never broken in the first place, and if somthing ain't broken, then why fix it?
What we are trying to fix is the utilize poison thing. It is too easy to get right now. Poison wasnt as bad in the previous rule set but now poison is too deadly for a 2nd level skill. The other thing we are trying to fix is the OOG created by the passwall skill.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Yeah I really really want to get us back to where we were in our first event ever where we had almost 0 OOG. We have grown very lax on OOG and it needs to stop.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Farbarian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Farbarian »

If I may throw my two cents in.

1) There are assassins that can't of won't enter a building and there very effective sure its nice to off people when there not expecting it but some times it has to be done out of doors.

2) Not all assinations take place up close and personal, actually only the experianced assassin gets up close. The inexperianced do it at range.

3) How about use your knockout with a packet it would still have to be preformed in the regular manner but the packet could be used.
Jarl Garin
Master healer
Fear keeps you alive! Regret means your still alive.
Potion maker And Coward.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

1) Optimally you want them to be alone and you don't want anyone to see you come for them, yeah it won't always be like that but I feel the assasin should atleast get the tools do their job.

2)Utilize Poison works with ranged weapons, other than that they don't get any weapon skills.

3)Do you mean add packet knockout as a 2nd level skill? cause TOD should definitely stay 4th level.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

OHH packet knockout of 2 would be nice.
Travis Cole
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

From Afar:
The Assassin gains a +2KN attack that may be delivered with a packet. It requires a 10 second charge. If they already have knockout, it stacks with that ability. This attack behaves like regular knockout, in that a legal body target must be struck.

Pro's: Rogues make Hella good assassins.

Con's: Rogure brawlers/assassins are scary.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

well honestly rogues should make the best sneaky assassin while warrior assassin's can stand up in a toe to toe fight. I mean heck look at atrum he would be alive today if he was a warrior. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them