Assassin Skill ideas

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

There is a lot of discusion.

Wayne,
Could you give us a little guidance in what we are attempting top replace?
Travis Cole
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

Actually...I am pretty sure it doesnt take a hero point to swing 3 poison.

Pikeman + Rage + Poison = 3 poison all day long.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

We are looking for a 2nd level assassin skill that is sorta swifty twisty ass.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Doctor Erasmus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Doctor Erasmus »

That's "Twisteeass"!! er sumthin... can never remember how thats supposed to be spelled.
Faerykin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Faerykin »

WayneO42 wrote:We are looking for a 2nd level assassin skill that is sorta swifty twisty ass.
How about Hide?

Not so much swifty - but it definately has the potential to be twisty.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I think the trouble is of course, HIDE has OOG issues. I'd like to know if there were other changes so to keep it complete.
Ideas:
Freedom of movment
Escape artist.(if passwall goes away.)
+3 backstab(or 3 back stab if none already.)
Cool Mind: (resist taunt and press)
Lesser evasion:(just like evade, but it doesn't stop the damage, only the loss of the charge.)
Trap evasion:(just like eveasion for the first trap)
Non detection: (ALL Detect skills,spells,and pots fail)
Resist torture.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The thought (and this is only in the brainstorming phase) was to make assasin look like:

Level 1: Disguise
Level 2: ??
Level 3: Utilize Poison
Level 4: Touch of death

So we need a second level that could kind of fill part of the gap left after the removal of pass wall. I like the no movement restriction thing I was also thinking of Pick Basic Lock. It would compound with rogue so if they already have pick basic then they could pick complex. If they alread had pick complex, they would do it in half the time. The thing is, do assassins really need the ability to pick a lock?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

ABSOLUTELY THEY DO!!! Taking away passwall and not giving them some lock picking ability makes a complex lock HUGE. Seeing as you have to spend 150 pts in Rogue to be able to pick complex locks.

How about something like:
Light Fingered
The assasin's training gives them amazing hand dexterity and hand eye coordination. They can manipulate small items with ease. Unless physically restrained while being searched they can hide any object on themselves that will fit in the palm of their hand. As well an assasin can disarm traps and pick simple locks, note that the assasin can only disarm and not create traps. If the assasin also has pick simple locks from Rogue they may then pick complex locks.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

It's a little much for a second level skill... plus the first part creates an OOG issue still. Personally, pick simple locks would be a good fit (with option for complex if already have it). Pick simple locks requires an 80 pt expenditure if grabbed from the path route.

I like the lesser evade from above. Granted not as a second level assasin ability, as it'd break half the book, but the skill is a neat idea.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Yeah true about the level, it would work for a level 3 but the utilize is going there. And I don't think the OOG issue would be bad at all, you simply have to palm the item while they are searching you to similate moving it from place to place as they search you. But I think utilize it a little low for a 3rd but thats just my opinion.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

you can already hide an object with spot. So adding another hiding skill is not a big deal. Since searching is supposed to be (I search you for 5 minutes, give me your stuff) since you can't legally touch someone.

Light Fingered
The assasin's training gives them amazing hand dexterity and hand eye coordination. They can manipulate small items with ease. The assassin may disable a lock of any quality, that is on an entry way. This takes 1 full minute, and is a charged ability.The assassin and only the assassin must imeadiatly pass though the doorway. The Lock reengages after the assassin passes though it. This will not work on locks that lock chests, cabinets or the like. It does however work on bonds, and inescapable bonds.

All of of the flavor of passwall, none of the OOG.
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Spot doesn't make the item impossible to find, just harder though. That's the difference.

I could see a combo of pick simple lock (with option to increase to complex if you already have simple) and spot for a second level Assassin skill.

2nd Level Assassin:
Gains Spot (as per Rogue) and Pick Simple Locks (as per Rogue). If Assassin already has Pick Simple Locks, he or she gains Pick Complex Locks (as per Rogue).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You know Cole's idea isnt so bad.

Here are a couple thoughts though.

1) I dont want to hurt the rogue by giving everyone pick locks. Infact complex locks should only be pickable by a rogue. We might want to make the cost of making complex locks greater.

2) Definitly must remove the OOG thang.

Maybe we need to look outside the teleport thang and into something else.

Note, a level 2 skill is an everyone skill while 3 and 4 are really the "assassin" skills.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Suggestions:

Light fingered: (unlock doors for 2 seconds.)
Escape artist. (spy 2)
Travis Cole
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I don't think we should give Assassin lvl 2 Spy... it seems better that the two compliment/work with eachother so a Spy/Assassin would work.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage