Of Scouts and Savages

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Fox
New in Town
New in Town

Of Scouts and Savages

Post by Fox »

So… I was writing up my character, and noticed something surprising. Scout is Common only. Now, being that I fancy my little character a savage, I’m not sure I agree with that designation. Shouldn’t it be common and savage? After all, wouldn’t a savage know best how to read the land, as they are so bound to it? And would they not be well able to make a haven, considering they live in the wild?

I just find it hard to fathom that a savage could not be a perfect scout. Or, if not a scout, then some savage approximation there of, as there is currently no woodsy savy discipline for the savage.
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Check out druid for I think it's both savage and woodsy
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

strange it should be in both
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Fox
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Fox »

*pokes the druid* I've checked, but a scout is far more fitting.

Chris- Does this mean it was a typo and I can be a savage scout? *puppy dog eyes*
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Depends whio you are out of game. Whio are you?
Chris
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I think there was a reason we made it common only. We should take this to the GM boards and discuss.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Fox
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Fox »

*pokes self* It's Christen. ^_^ This is my new character, prolly for the Winter Haven game.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

There was a reason we moved it. But for the life of me I have no idea what it was.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

It may have been because of wilderness survival or something
Chris
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I think it was something as simple as we didn't want to off balance the number of disciplines between priviledged and savage and we couldn't think of another privilaged one at the time, but I could be wrong--it's happened once before.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Well, before, savage and wilderness survival and thief gave a pretty nice resouce bonus...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Fox
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Fox »

Scouts do not get wilderness survival... and thus no resources from this discipline. While you are correct that there are more savage disciplines than privlidged, there would likely be more savage people in the world, especially with the fall of civilization.

I'm not trying to be a git, it's just that from a role playing stand point, I can't imagine a savage being unable to be a scout. It seems counter intuative.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Would it be better if we changed the name of the discipline from "Scout" to "Wilderness Skill Set #4"?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Not really, simply because they get scout and a haven. If I were moving into a new wilderness area I'd send out a "scout" to find the local savages so they could give me the lay of the land, and the Haven thing just seems like the hollowed out log with sloping leaf end caps or the leaf covered net trick. The lone wolf savage instead of the tribal savage.

Druid just seems more mystical with the root and emulate totem
And the rest of the non universals are definitely focused on a particular thing.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Fox
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Fox »

*pokes WayneO-kun* It's not the samantics of the name I'm having a hard time with, silly. It's the skills in the discipline not being avaliable to savages.

I'll be common if I have to, because Fox is a Scout. She runs off on her own all the time to see what's going on in the forest (scout), and sleeps in a little den in a hollowed out log (haven). Yet, she's a savage. Not really one for sleeping indoors, baths? What are those? Shoes are for sissies... you know the drill.

From a role playing stand point, she's like... a forest guide. S' what she does when she's not being an obsessive/compulsive healer. I don't see why a savage could and would not be a scout. Who knows the wood better than those who live there, after all?