Of Scouts and Savages

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Why a savage could or would not be a scout?

Look at it this way, maybe a savage doesn't want a bunch of "people" who does not respect the wilderness and all it's creatures inside it's domain. They aren't careful and just destroy that which they touch (ie cutting down trees that could be animal's homes and all). A savage would prefer the company of oh a wolf instead of a bunch of people who live in buildings and all.

Wilderness Survial that Druids have basically now states you can have your fox hole or whatever for that character to sleep in because you'd know how to survive and live in the woods. I bet in terms of tracks and all you'd get a glimpse into something or other that was as well.

In a way you get what you are looking for, but just don't have the technial rules wording to support it in terms of the "haven" thing and all. It's probably the trade of between being a duild and being a scout.

A scout has been trained in the woods and can from time to time hang out in it. They don't however exclusively prefer to live in the woods and can interact with people a bit better.

Anyway, that's just my thought on the two after looking for it. My character for instance has always been in the common area. She's a scout because that is what she needed to learn after washing up on the shores of the fishing village.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

That to me is one narrow interpretation of scout, similiar to a military scout or recon person. And a common person who doesn't spend much time in the woods should be better at tracking than someone that probably does it to survive? Or should be able to find a place in the woods where theyd be safe? And the savage that doesn't want humans inside the woods mucking it all up would most definitely learn what human tracks are and how to follow them and how to hide from them when they clomp through in #'s
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Fox
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Fox »

I'm with Eric on this one.

Maybe I'm just being too character-centric and unable to think outside my personal frame of refrence, but Fox is not a Druid. Druide live nature. They revere it like a RL person would religion. Nature is their everything. That's not what I'm going for. More... the friendly savage who knows the forest's secrets and helps keep silly city folk from getting themselves in trouble. I don't see Druids and Scouts as anything alike. Two totally different mentalities.

Besides, the savage who is keeping watch over 'their' forest would know well how to track people to make sure they're not getting into said trouble, or going too near the savages secret places. They would track animals to hunt as well, not just people, and any monsters who could be dangerous to them. After all, they seemingly spend more time in the wilds than common folk, and wold thusly have even more need to be able to track things that might prove dangerous to them.
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'm with Wyne on the Wildress Skill Set #4

Saying what a skill set's nature should be is kinda pointless. The only limitations to what a skill set can be is your imagination.

Why couldn't a "common" person run around and live in the woods? You get more allegience, one less hitpoint and need more stuff to survive. I don't see anything about how you have to act...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I'm not saying it should be removed from common just that it should be added to savage as well. We're saying the exact same thing, that a scout doesn't neccesarily have to be what one would normally consider a scout. I'm just saying that because of the track and haven skills it actually fits with savage better than common.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

I think unless there is a broken combo, what's the diff if a skill set is in more than one category. Like Alch/Arcane/Craftsmen, ect.

Things like Knight, Man at Arms, ect, sure, keep them separate, but if there isn't a break, why prevent it.

As for this particular situation, I can only think of Last of Mohicans type movies with the Native American Scouts, leading the blue coats thru the woods, etc.

However, one could look at it this way as well, Savage/Common/Privileged is really based upon your point of view. I mean to the blue coats the Natives were all savages, but in their perspective societies, some would be rich/privileged, and some would be common. So, one could look at it that way for rping.

EX- Eli- Savage maybe not in our standards or even in human standards, but seriously for Elf standards a little kid running around casting death dealing spells, and doing battle, shouldn’t he be in school for like another 50 or so years?
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Fox
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Fox »

Again, I'm just trying to understand why Scout is not also in savage. I don't want it moved or anything like that, just inclusive.

Imagination, Reid, is not a problem that I have. *poke* To be honest, if I were trying to be a cheezy girl I'd just stay common for the allegiance plus. However, I feel Fox is a more savage like character, but scout is her nature. So, I'll be common if I have to, I would simply rather be savage and can't see why scout isn't in savage as well.
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

It really doesn't matter, just that it is (or isn't as the case may be). Its just that wanting a rule change for a character concept doesn't seem like a real valid reason to me.

By putting it into savage would it break anything? Probably not. Is there a existing problem that should warrent it being put there? No.

And if your character has a savage nature, I'm still missing the point as to why you feel you have to be the savage lifestyle? Nothing says you can't be a svage and have the common lifestyle. You are focusing too much on the naming.

I say rename them to Lifestyle 1, lifestyle 2, and lifestyle 3. Poof, problem solved.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

If you read the section on lifestyles in the book it states that your lifestyle has nothing to do with how you are living now. It is about how you were raised. So, if your character was raised in a town but went to the woods she would still be a common lifestyle but be living currently as a savage. A knight for instance could go into the wilderness and be a hermit savage type living off of the land. He would still be the priveledged lifestyle because that is how he was raised but to the outside world he would be a savage.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Fox
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Fox »

Because there are savage only diciplines that fit Fox that I can't take if I'm common, silly.

And it's not just about trying to bend things to fit me. It makes perfect sense to me for Scout to be in savage as well, that's all. If it's never going to be, then fin, I'm good, but it makes perfect sense to me for it to be savage as well.

*ponders Wayneo-kun's words* Okay, I get it. *nod* No worries then. I'll figure it all out with Fox as common then.