Magic

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Magic

Post by Eli »

So as a mage and someone who has RP a lot I was thinking that this could be the fix for magic.

1. Mages may only cast shield spells on themselves.
-Hence no more giving everyone bunch of spells.
2. All resist spells, must be specific
-ie. I cast resist sleep on myself- X casting time
I cast resist magic on myself - x casting time
You still need to have the time to cast the spell, possible components, a copy of the spell written in your book (could add a time to be able to copy, like 1 page of magic per hour or something).

3. The mage can cast multiple spells on self, but not the exact same one.
ie, resist magci and a resist sleep is OK, but 2 resist magics is not.

As is, magic is no good. Either you can give people uber power, and those who cannot cast complain, or you take that away and magic casting is not longer a skill, but a required device to have in order to solve plots, EX- took high levels of magic to creat the mythral used to create the new sun dial of time.

Anyway these are my thoughts,
if someone else has already posted something like this and it is a repeat here, sorry do not have a whole lot of free time and NEVER am I able to keep up with all the fourms, 90% of the time someone is posting what I have asked them to post for me.
thx all
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Sorry man too late for any changes

I dont see any problems with magic really..maybe just a few spells that need fixed.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

1. Mages may only cast shield spells on themselves.
-Hence no more giving everyone bunch of spells.
2. All resist spells, must be specific
-ie. I cast resist sleep on myself- X casting time
I cast resist magic on myself - x casting time
You still need to have the time to cast the spell, possible components, a copy of the spell written in your book (could add a time to be able to copy, like 1 page of magic per hour or something)
3. The mage can cast multiple spells on self, but not the exact same one.
ie, resist magci and a resist sleep is OK, but 2 resist magics is not.
1,2,&3) No, 1 each, sorry. I do however like the copy time. Right now we dont have one, do we need it?, or is it good enough just saying it takes howeverlong it takes?

As is, magic is no good. Either you can give people uber power, and those who cannot cast complain, or you take that away and magic casting is not longer a skill, but a required device to have in order to solve plots, EX- took high levels of magic to creat the mythral used to create the new sun dial of time.
We will have some spells coming into game, and once theres a bit of variety to what a mage can do I think it will flesh out a bit more than it may appear now.
Anyway these are my thoughts,
if someone else has already posted something like this and it is a repeat here, sorry do not have a whole lot of free time and NEVER am I able to keep up with all the fourms, 90% of the time someone is posting what I have asked them to post for me.
thx all
Anytime, new ideas are always welcomed (your timings a bit off though :wink: )

~the Lunatic fringe~